View Single Post
Old 01-20-2021, 09:49 AM   #342
Rufus
Guru

City: Great Lakes
Vessel Model: OA 440
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pau Hana View Post

The difference between FAA and marine are many- one of the biggest is that there is no federal standard for seaworthiness enforced by a governmental agency. ABYC, NAMS, SAMS- all promulgate standards, but they are voluntary standards.

In all my years of insuring boats, one of the things I despise the most is the self survey- because is can never be the dispassionate, ho ear assessment of the vessel’s material condition. The owner has a vested fiscal and emotional interest in the vessel, and the self survey is too often just a rubber stamp- and, too often, the owner doesn’t have the requisite skills to properly assess the boat.
Yes, Coast Guard regulation of recreational boat design and continued seaworthiness of the vehicles is very limited....on purpose. The safety data do not support more rigorous involvement. If the insurance industry sees a safety problem, they have a duty to ask for additional rulemaking and oversight. Keep in mind that rulemaking is a public process...

I'm completely passionate about my boat's material condition. If I lie about items in the survey, I'll not be covered if a related loss occurs. Then I will be cancelled. Marine insurers need to be a lot more customer focused.
Rufus is offline   Reply With Quote