Anyone know this boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNdiver

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
looking for 1st trawler
I haven't posted much but have learned soo much reading hundreds of posts.

Have looked at this grand banks listing and video a couple of times, it seems

to tic a lot of boxes for us. Because of, you know what ,a trip is not in the cards right now. I was wondering if anyone here know this boat or has any insights.
If you dont want to post here a message would be appreciated. the hunt continues. steve

MOD EDIT / NOTICE:

This post has been removed from the Classified section as it appears to more of a discussion thread vs a real "Wanted Ad"

Members are asked to refrain from posting discussion threads and replies in the classified sections.
Any questions please refer to the Classified Guidelines

The Site Team

You might just call Curtis. He is very easy to work with.

Those photos are 5 years old and it was pretty worn out back then. Decks are shot, all coolers need attention...it needs a very good survey. I like that it's a single.

I never liked the 36 because the outdoor spaces are poor. Better go see it, it's a project.

Thanks much Xsbank. Certain projects are ok but at my age i dont need a project boat. The "project" is to buy a boat and enjoy travel adventures. thanks again to you and so many others who spend time educating us newbs.
steve

Anyone know this boat

A couple of points to consider;

1) GB is a sturdy boat and even if it is worn around the edges, she still may be savable.
a) when I was looking I hired a local, to the boat, surveyor to check out a few boats in his area. A lifesaver.
b) GB are a wet boat, no bow flair allows water over the bow in a chop.

2) is a 36 a good size for you?
a) we charted a boat, 37 before we purchased. When we actually started to search for our boat I realized by looking at boats up to 46 that the 40 was too narrow on the side decks for me. It took a 43/44 to be in the right size.

3) how will you use your boat? I knew ours was destined for a Loop and on the Loop, you need to be able to navigate side decks for locks. You also need enough space for 2 people to find space on the boat.

4) is a single-engine the right selection?
a) we have twins and during the start of our Loop, off the coast of NJ, I had a leak in 1 of the 2nd-ary fuel filters that required me to shut down that engine and travel for 3 more hrs on 1 engine.

These are just a few considerations to consider.

Look at a lot of boats and your boat will find you.

Good luck.

I haven't posted much but have learned soo much reading hundreds of posts.

Have looked at this grand banks listing and video a couple of times, it seems

to tic a lot of boxes for us. Because of, you know what ,a trip is not in the cards right now. I was wondering if anyone here know this boat or has any insights.
If you dont want to post here a message would be appreciated. the hunt continues. steve

This is exactly my boat (though mine a 1982) with some minor modifications. Mine has 10 years of repair and restoration of deferred maintenance, so mine looks a little nicer. Your teak decks and wheels are a little rougher, so be diligent about water intrusion underneath them.

Otherwise, what happened to the boom? You would really like to have that to: hoist and deploy a dinghy to the aft salon roof, deploy a flopper stopper, carry a riding sail, etc. (try to get it back wherever it went). We did not like Weaver clips, and change them out for a aft cabin roof ss frame to carry the 10 ft. RIB on. We got rid of that and installed Rothskelly davits of the swimstep, and have be very happy with that. We may go with towing a larger RIB or dinghy to essentially add another "yacht" to our repertoire, but not there yet. We got rid of the Norcold POS fridge for a Vitrifrigo Sea Drawer fridge/freezer. It can actually keep food frozen and make ice, which the Norcold could not.

There is a lot of formica paneling in the interior where we have teak, but that's no biggee. Contact me at your leisure, but make yourself pretty clear about water intrusion under the deck fiberglass.

My Lehman was underused, and had only 1800 hours when I got it. It's pretty bullet proof, but get an experienced mechanical guy to weigh in. Oil samples would be a good idea.

I don't know the subject boat, but we saw a nearby sister two weeks ago:
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1985/grand-banks-36-classic-trawler-3702869/

If the comments above are accurate, the higher price is well worth it. This boat has been well loved and is in good condition. The decks are certainly OK and there is no sign of any rust on the tops or anyplace else on the fuel tanks that I could see. She needs exterior varnish work, but the owner said that he was going to have his son (who is in the boat business) redo it before sale. Note that she does not have a generator or a working autopilot.

Annie Gray, the listing broker, is an old hand -- very knowledgeable and easy to work with.

Jim

Thanks for the thoughtful replies and suggestions everyone. This is what i hoped for when i joined. So looking forward to when we can check out some of the boats we think we like, in person. Our "list" is in constant flux but certian things are becoming firm, it helps narrow the search. steve

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom