Kadey Krogen Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OliviaLubeck

Veteran Member
Hi,

Anyone who has/had a Krogen Manatee that can give me some general information on them? They seem like they have a great layout for a liveaboard for their size while also being somewhat affordable.

such as seaworthiness, value, storage, lack of outside access/walk around deck, ect? Tell me everything! lol

What do you like and dislike?

I never have owned one, but have admired them greatly.

As you note due to the full width cabin, there is no outside walkway fore and aft. With two aboard, one to helm the boat and another to make up dock lines it can be managed. But docking single handed would be tough.

The upside is the huge salon.

The standard engine is a 4 cylinder Volvo, not my favorite. Some have been repowered with better engines.

The hull shape makes it only suitable for coastal cruising. I wouldn't want to cross any real open water in one, like the Gulf of Maine or the open stretches of the Inside Passage.

But living volume per foot can't be beat. As a live aboard, it rivals 40+'ers.

David

I never have owned one, but have admired them greatly.

As you note due to the full width cabin, there is no outside walkway fore and aft. With two aboard, one to helm the boat and another to make up dock lines it can be managed. But docking single handed would be tough.

The upside is the huge salon.

The standard engine is a 4 cylinder Volvo, not my favorite. Some have been repowered with better engines.

The hull shape makes it only suitable for coastal cruising. I wouldn't want to cross any real open water in one, like the Gulf of Maine or the open stretches of the Inside Passage.

But living volume per foot can't be beat. As a live aboard, it rivals 40+'ers.

David

Thanks so much for the input! I think I have my heart set on one but who knows!!

Olivia: Great to have you aboard. I do have a Manatee but my expertise only comes from tearing it apart and doing modifications that compliment our way of using the boat.

Because the Manatee has a cult following, many of the best examples have sold without being advertised because someone else was waiting for it. There are a few good reasons to buy a Manatee. Here they are:

1. They are relatively simple to maintain with uncomplicated systems.
2. Extremely economical.
3. “Cult” appeal boosts demand & value.
4. Gorgeous, voluminous interior and storage is more like a 42’.
5. Shallow 3’2” draft gunk holes and gets you into best anchorages.
6. Superior four-corner visibility from helm.
7. Full keel with skeg keeps boat straight and protects prop.
8. Large outside deck seating areas such as veranda, boat deck, and bow permit group entertainment and private conversations.
9. Cored hull makes for a quiet, insulated boat with little or no condensation.
10. Full displacement design provokes nearly zero wake at hull speed, silent at helm, and lifts (rather than broaches) in following sea.

Liabilities:

1. Closed-cell foam coring in hull won’t absorb water, but lack of care can still get it wet. It poses little danger, but can be costly. Survey the hull well.
2. These boats are getting old in the tooth and some of the still original examples may need pilothouse roof rebuilt, deck coring work and window replacement.
3. The original Volvo engines are fantastic, but parts are getting rare and ALWAYS expensive.
4. In a man-overboard situation, they are difficult to re-board.
5. Only one helm with no inside access.
6. High profile makes them windy.
7. Genset in original space under galley is terrible.
8. Previous owners installs/de-installs can make for wiring nightmares.
9. Good initial stability gives into uncomfortable roll in beam seas over 3 ft.
10. They are slow.

If it is space you’re looking for but still under 40’, you may also want to look at the Great Harbour GH-37 and N-37. Best of luck with your search.

If you were looking for something a little more offshore capable in the same size class that would be close in interior space. I’d say look for a Willard 36 pilothouse. But there are only 5 of them and I don’t know anyone who is going to come off of there’s anytime soon. They do have a cult following as well and a 3/4” solid fiberglass hull.

Jmarsh is right about the offshore capability of the Willard. The Manatee is principally a coastal boat. The roughest water I’ve been in with our boat is a 6 ft. confused chop. The boat is so buoyant it just bobs around like a cork, but this will make almost any passenger want to turn back.

Two owners who don’t seem to mind that is Ted & Sarah Pongracz who have been down-island as far as St. Kitts four times and are currently crossing the Gulf of Mexico on their 31st loop. Swells and following seas, no problem, Bahamas yes, but if you plan to cross oceans or even the Gulf Stream without a weather window, this is not the boat for you.

Not a bad deal if you are currently in the market. Def not as good as the manatee for strictly great loop but in the same price range and more capable offshore. Prob one of the better deals on the market right now.

It’s a non stabilized boat so not a true passagemaker but has the range to be, well at least not in comfort. and has a bow thruster.

Olivia: Great to have you aboard. I do have a Manatee but my expertise only comes from tearing it apart and doing modifications that compliment our way of using the boat.

Because the Manatee has a cult following, many of the best examples have sold without being advertised because someone else was waiting for it. There are a few good reasons to buy a Manatee. Here they are:

2. Extremely economical.
8. Large outside deck seating areas such as veranda, boat deck, and bow permit group entertainment and private conversations.
10. Full displacement design provokes nearly zero wake at hull speed, silent at helm, and lifts (rather than broaches) in following sea.

Liabilities:

1. Closed-cell foam coring in hull won’t absorb water, but lack of care can still get it wet. It poses little danger, but can be costly. Survey the hull well.
2. These boats are getting old in the tooth and some of the still original examples may need pilothouse roof rebuilt, deck coring work and window replacement.
3. The original Volvo engines are fantastic, but parts are getting rare and ALWAYS expensive.
10. They are slow.

If it is space you’re looking for but still under 40’, you may also want to look at the Great Harbour GH-37 and N-37. Best of luck with your search.

Thank you so much for all of this detailed information. If the boat comes with a Volvo engine do you feel it's best to find a different one to repower the boat with? I do worry about expensive/hard to find parts.

Thanks for the info! What do you consider open water? Like Miami to the Bahamas? Key west to Dry Tortugas? Or farther?

I actually called about this one and it has rot on the bow and apparently would cost tens of thousands to replace.

Never having owned a manatee from what I’ve heard if you pick your days a manatee can do the Bahamas or dry Tortugas without much issue quite safely, I would not try to island hop into the Caribbean with it though. A kk42 even with no stabilization I’d go just about anywhere in the americas with that 6 extra feet and considerably more money it is a much much more capable boat. It is also an ocean crossing boat if properly fitted out. I can’t remember but I seem to remember a retired teacher with a kk42 that has crossed the Atlantic or is planning to soon. I’d consider open water anything with more than a 3 day unprotected passage. And even though you theoretically could hop down to the Caribbean with a manatee picking weather windows suitable for that boat would make the going extremely slow and tedious I would think. The big question you need to ask yourself is what do you want to do with the boat. If it’s just the great loop and occasional Bahamas and keys trips I can’t think of a better boat than a manatee as long as you don’t mind going at a slower pace. If the Caribbean, south and Central Americas, Panama Canal up the west coast or crossing oceans is a dream than the manatee is not the right boat for you. Can always start with the manatee and upgrade later after your done with the loop if you finish it and decide you want to go further than what that boat is capable of. The great thing about pretty much the whole KK line up is at this point they have depreciated as much as they are going to and as long as you do your part you should be able to sell the boat for right around what you initially paid for it. Or at least close enough to not matter. If you let the boat go it will depreciate extremely fast. And upgrades, maintenance and repair work is worth nothing, you will never get any of that money back so don’t think you will, that’s just the cost of living your dream. Hope this helps a bit

Do you plan on traveling by yourself, with significant other, children, lots of guests? That would help point you in a good general direction as well. A good boat for a single person to handle is not the same thing as a good boat for a family. Judging by the looks of them the deck layout of a manatee would prob be a handful for a single person even if they had experience boating. It looks awkward to move around the deck and try to tie off, also being a single screw boat you will have slightly less maneuverability. A person with a manatee would be able to clear that up though I’ve never boated on one just seen a couple and can look at pictures so that is just a rough oppinion based off of nothing but looks and not experience. Where as a single person can tie off considerably larger boats if the boat is laid out properly and has a good steering station at deck level and good walk around space on the deck. I’ve got a 42 footer I can tie off by myself easily and wouldn’t mind trying to tie off a well setup boat that is in the 50 foot range. . I’ve got a reasonably good walkway all the way around my boat and a steering station below. But with boating everything is a compromise I’d say my 42 footer is very similar if not less than the interior space of a manatee. But I have ocean crossing capabilities so they do not really compare.

Do you plan on traveling by yourself, with significant other, children, lots of guests? That would help point you in a good general direction as well. A good boat for a single person to handle is not the same thing as a good boat for a family. Judging by the looks of them the deck layout of a manatee would prob be a handful for a single person even if they had experience boating. It looks awkward to move around the deck and try to tie off, also being a single screw boat you will have slightly less maneuverability. A person with a manatee would be able to clear that up though I’ve never boated on one just seen a couple and can look at pictures so that is just a rough oppinion based off of nothing but looks and not experience. Where as a single person can tie off considerably larger boats if the boat is laid out properly and has a good steering station at deck level and good walk around space on the deck. I’ve got a 42 footer I can tie off by myself easily and wouldn’t mind trying to tie off a well setup boat that is in the 50 foot range. . I’ve got a reasonably good walkway all the way around my boat and a steering station below. But with boating everything is a compromise I’d say my 42 footer is very similar if not less than the interior space of a manatee. But I have ocean crossing capabilities so they do not really compare.
My plan would be to travel with someone and occasionally by myself. I think my parents would come along on some trips, too. I think the Manatee has the best interior space and getting insurance on it might be easier than a boat over 40ft. However, someone mentioned a Mainship 34 to me (there's also one in my area for sale) and those seem cool, too and a lot faster from what I understand. Thanks for all of your input. If you see any boats you think would be good for we've talked about, feel free to send them my way!

2. Extremely economical.

Liabilities:

10. They are slow.

My Manatee was originally delivered in San Diego, CA in 1984. I have notes that came with the boat showing that it traveled up the coast from CA to Portland, Oregon.

I would not want to make that trip with my boat but clearly it is capable of offshore travel if necessary. It also has crossed the Columbia River Bar at least twice (one of the most dangerous in the world). Again, I don't want to do either of those things with my boat but I assume if you are very watchful of weather it is capable of some offshore travel.

A correction from what others have said. My boat is hull #12. The first few boats came with a Perkins 4.108 not a Volvo. I don't know when that changed but my boat travels at hull speed with the original Perkins and burns less than 1 gallon / hr at about 6 KN (2,100 rpm).

Docking is a bit of a pain in the behind but I am more worried about being comfortable when I get to my destination than the 5 minutes of docking. I added a Sideshift ST340 to my stern. With the bow and stern thruster it is now very easy to dock (unless it is windy then all bets are off).

Healhustler is definitely the Manatee expert. He has generously offered help/suggestions to me several times.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom