View Single Post
Old 01-17-2021, 06:28 PM   #7
C lectric
Guru

City: Gibsons, B.C., Canada
Vessel Name: Island Pride
Vessel Model: Palmer 32'
2 cycles use one or two flapper valves as a fuel pump somewhere on the side of the crankcase. I cannot for the life of me remember the specific name.

If they or the seals they operate against fail then the engine won't get fuel. They will show on a parts dwg.

I'm going to ask "Are you sure that dirt did not get into the bowl and plug a jet". Is there a tiny filter between the tank and the carb? If not then dirt could have entered. I do see you cleaned the carb but dirt, if not filtered, could have entered from the tank again.

One thing I got caught on a couple years ago was the crankcase split line can lose its seal allowing air to enter. MAYBE this is your case but nonetheless consider it as a last resort. My engine would run untill it warmed getting me two miles away and then when I went to idle it quit. Cranking was usually fruitless. One thing though was if I could get it to sputter, I suspect my fiddling allowed it to cool a bit so sealed the leak, and sputter long and well enough to get it to rev up to normal running speed it would continue. I think that even though some small amount of air would leak in it was not enough to stall the engine IF I COULD GET IT UP TO SPEED. But the next time I went back to idle it repeated the [process.

Normally I had to row back.

I finally gave up and took it to our local O/B expert. He has had to reseal the crankcase split on several engines. As they age the seal gives way.
My engine is an 8HP Yamaha about 25 yrs old. I wonder if your Mariner has done this also.
C lectric is offline   Reply With Quote