Helmsman 38E V 43

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
When it comes to a 38E v. the 43E, you really need to get aboard both boats to truly experience the difference. It may seem like 2-ft-itis, but the difference is more than that.

I like the idea of the day head door into the engine space, but have been perfectly content with having to open the engine room hatch. It is easy to access, and we have cameras to keep an eye on things in-between.

The stern thrusters are now standard. They are worth every penny. Can you run the boat without it? Of-course, but they are wonderful if a gust of wind picks up or you are in tight quarters. I would not even consider a single engine boat without bow and stern thrusters in this day and age. The thrusters are easily accessible for any maintenance.

Many thanks.

The season was late and boats were being hauled, but I was able to get aboard a 38 on the hard. It was helpful in confirming what I thought I would like, and saw nothing new to push me away. Eyeballs on the hull was quite helpful, since I start there.

Scott will provide a credit back for stern thrusters if you don't want them. So its not like they are free. Thanks for your observation on that.

AdmiralS:

I now see you are located up the Hudson. I presume you cruise into the Sound and points north. How much chain do you find to be "enough" for those waters? Is it safe to ask what kind of anchor without igniting an anchor war? :)

AdmiralS:

I now see you are located up the Hudson. I presume you cruise into the Sound and points north. How much chain do you find to be "enough" for those waters? Is it safe to ask what kind of anchor without igniting an anchor war? :)

We do a lot of anchoring, be it rafted up with friends in Oyster bay, or the various anchorages up and down the river. We have 200' of chain and the standard claw anchor. We do use the mantus bridle with the anchor.

Have never had an issue with anchor dragging in various bottoms with lots of weight on the single anchor!

118979080-10159546367111062-8481999200067638014-n.jpg

Geez! Holding all of that is impressive

In my case, its east coast. Chesapeake home waters, but that may shift to some unknown parts south as MD seems intent on driving me away with taxes and the common blue state issues. Its home, but its a tough contest between the need to go vs the will to stay .

If you want opinions and answers to your questions from current Helmsman owners, I would suggest you leave politics out of the equation, especially right now.

Sorry. Call me naive but I didn't think folks here were THAT touchy. Innocent comment, but OK I get it. Point taken.

As to the Caribbean question, for me some kind of stabilizer setup would be necessary. I’m sure it could be done without it, but I don’t think it would be too fun.

As to the Caribbean question, for me some kind of stabilizer setup would be necessary. I’m sure it could be done without it, but I don’t think it would be too fun.

I am curious since I have not been there. Are you talking about the jump over, or while there?

I am curious since I have not been there. Are you talking about the jump over, or while there?

I haven’t been either, just heard that from folks here on the board who have made that claim. Hopefully some will chime in and set me straight if I’m wrong.

I installed some stability sails on my boat in anticipation of making it to the Caribbean one day, but I haven’t made it past the Bahamas. My wife is not a big fan of open ocean or overnight cruising it turns out.

Here’s an old thread discussing this topic:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/fl-bahamas-t-c-usvi-stabilizers-18969.html

I haven’t been either, just heard that from folks here on the board who have made that claim. Hopefully some will chime in and set me straight if I’m wrong.

I installed some stability sails on my boat in anticipation of making it to the Caribbean one day, but I haven’t made it past the Bahamas. My wife is not a big fan of open ocean or overnight cruising it turns out.

Here’s an old thread discussing this topic:

https://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/fl-bahamas-t-c-usvi-stabilizers-18969.html

Thanks. That was very helpful

Currently have friends on a 36’ trawler that left from Florida, through the Abacos, down to Eleuthera and on to Exumas. (Limited open ocean crossings... but yes, open ocean multiple times)
I asked about “roll”
They responded yes... bad at times... so bad the fridge came out from the cabinets. Now that they’ve learned the limits, they travel travel by forecasts...
Yep... as long as no schedule and no hurry..... no problem
PS... power is a Ford-Lehman 120

Reactions: FWT
Dingy

Regarding discussion about a dingy here are a few observations from our recent experience:

While we did have the upper deck railing hinged to open and provide additional clearance we did not require it.

We had a custom built Jack Johnson davit installed in San Diego. Our design included the arm being two pieces with a pin. The reason was that I didn’t think I would like the look of the davit but after installation it looked great. Low profile design helped keep the height to a minimum.

We used portable deck clocks (foam filled with a fabric cover) that worked great. We spent a lot of time on the deck and didn’t want permanent mounted chocks on this boat. While we were concerned about these loose chocks moving around with the boat everything worked fine. We simply secured the boat to railing with light rope and it never moved even in some rough seas. Best decision ever made regarding chocks.

John

John:

Good point about chocks.

Did you consider recessed pad eyes (D rings) on the deck, for tie-down? In hindsight, would you? Many designs, but something like this?

https://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/...let-aluminum-d-ring-5000-lbs-m-6061-5k-463004

We use the same Soft Chocks with our Portland Pudgy. Would NEVER go back to anything else. When the dingy is off the deck, we have a completely clear deck with nothing to stub toes, step over, or collect dirt. We tie the dingy off to the rails and have never had it move, even in some really snotty seas.

Admiral:

Thanks

Liking the Pudgy? That's my plan, but considering a Whaly as well.

With an electric outboard.

Admiral:

Thanks

Liking the Pudgy? That's my plan, but considering a Whaly as well.

With an electric outboard.

We use the Torqueedo Travel 1103 CL. It pushes the boat along great with people and equipment.

I love the Pudgy, my wife on the other hand HATES it. It is a little topsy-turvey getting in and out of it, but its stable as a rock once you are in it. If I had to do it over again, probably would get something a little larger and more stable.

Dingys

We use the Torqueedo Travel 1103 CL. It pushes the boat along great with people and equipment.

I love the Pudgy, my wife on the other hand HATES it. It is a little topsy-turvey getting in and out of it, but its stable as a rock once you are in it. If I had to do it over again, probably would get something a little larger and more stable.

On the subject of dingy’s we or should I say “I” purchased a Gig Harbor 10’ Navigator and my wife didn’t care for getting in and out of it. Once in she was ok and enjoyed the quiet Torqeedo over the Yamaha OB. If I had to do it over I would go back to a RIB like our Caribe for its stability but it takes up more Rome up top. With boating everything is a trade off. One thing I did learn over a life time of boating is to try as many different things as possible. Learn form your experience and have fun doing it.

John

Ah Ha. Thanks.

My wife likes the "look" of the Pudgy. It looks safe, like a lifeboat. But she won't like that edge stability either.

Hence my new interest in the Whaly. A hard dingy in the shape of a rib. From what I can see the edge stability is greater, like a rib. And it comes in a variety of sizes.

one thing i did learn over a life time of boating is to try as many different things as possible. Learn form your experience and have fun doing it.

John

Absolutely

+1 on the soft chocks. Love that I can move the dinghy on the deck. Also installed 4 tie down eyes, and use cargo straps.

I can weigh in on engine room access through the door in the day head. It's definitely crawling access, but it sure beats pulling the floor up and knee pads kept hanging in the day head make it almost comfortable. I want to use the day head access, and that plays a big part in making it feel successful.

Has anyone added an additional freezer (not ice maker) to the 38E or Mariner 37 if so where and what brand & model.

Has anyone added an additional freezer (not ice maker) to the 38E or Mariner 37 if so where and what brand & model.

I am considering one on the top behind the arch. Another option might be in the ER behind the door in the day head if not using it for ER access. Would need to insulate it, and perhaps think through air ventilation, but would be handy there.

Thought about it for my new build, but didn't pursue it.

Scott at Helmsman would know best what's been done before, and best options.

Seems to me I have seen old brokerage videos showing an enclosure in the cockpit on the starboard side (for those that don't know, the door slides to port) that likely contained one. If you can figure out an enclosure addition, that might be an additional option that also closer to the galley.

Curious: do you find you don't use the engine room access via the dayhead? The spot there you are thinking about has also been mentioned from time to time for a washer-drier.

There are a few kitchen cabinet drawer pull-out freezers on the market for the home, but I've never seen one that is DC powered.

Thought about it for my new build, but didn't pursue it.

Scott at Helmsman would know best what's been done before, and best options.

Seems to me I have seen old brokerage videos showing an enclosure in the cockpit on the starboard side (for those that don't know, the door slides to port) that likely contained one. If you can figure out an enclosure addition, that might be an additional option that also closer to the galley.

Curious: do you find you don't use the engine room access via the dayhead? The spot there you are thinking about has also been mentioned from time to time for a washer-drier.

There are a few kitchen cabinet drawer pull-out freezers on the market for the home, but I've never seen one that is DC powered.

In our discussions, the ER door in the restroom is where Scott would put the washer-drier.

Like this, I suspect. In practical application, I find myself accessing the engine room through the forward pilot house sole hatch about 95% of the time, and very rarely through the day head. Might be time to think more about that washing machine...

Attachments

• 45CEED08-F964-48D9-8ED3-52FBA6DC0D32.jpeg
    45CEED08-F964-48D9-8ED3-52FBA6DC0D32.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 39
Like this, I suspect. In practical application, I find myself accessing the engine room through the forward pilot house sole hatch about 95% of the time, and very rarely through the day head. Might be time to think more about that washing machine...

Yes. That is the way he suggested to set it up. Would be a great place to put it in my opinion. It is “out of the way” and I have the same opinion about the access door.

I think any cost including taxes is very relevant

If you want opinions and answers to your questions from current Helmsman owners, I would suggest you leave politics out of the equation, especially right now.

The cost of owning a boat is very relevant ,then who are you dictated it isn’t .where you buy a boat is as relevant as what kind of boat you buy , cost of ownership whether it be taxes or maintaining a bow thruster it’s basically the same thing . I for one would like to be informed on the best place to own a boat.Cost to purchase and on going cost dictate what kind of boat I can afford

I am also new and heavy into research on Helsman and the North Pacific. Yes the new boats are all 6.7. What Scott told me yesterday the 38E is out to late fall 2023 and the 43 to June 2022, I have no report on NPY on deliveries available. I am also looking to jump past the Nord and looking seriously at a Bering .

Off topic is so move it: Where can I find accurate data on hull design of the Bering with no drag no wake hull? I look at the Nord and it seems to plow along nose down like an olde cow. These huge wakes and prop bubbles are an indication of inefficiency? yes or no?

Back
Top Bottom