Swim platform cost

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RobClipper30

Hi there,

Not sure if this is the right section to post this question but i’m interested to see if anyone has experience getting an extended swim platform added to their boat.

I have seen a thread on the DYI options but without the right tools, workshop or anywhere near the skills, it’s looking like engaging someone to do it.

It’s for my 30ft Clipper Flybridge. Beam around 10ft I believe. Hoping to get a platform perhaps 3ft deep, deeper if possible.

Not fussed on materials whether it’s Teak or Faux Teak or Glass.

Anyone have experience and rough price they paid that they’d be willing to share?

Rob

There's at least one commercial company out there that does after-market swim platforms... and they'd be able to give you estimates, might even have ballpark info on their website(s).

Sorry I can't remember names just now, but a search engine will find 'em.

-Chris

Quality material, quality construction and installation, around $3,000. Thats if you do most of the work yourself.

pete

We love our extended swim/dingy dock. FIberglass and has 6 support struts. We have had several standing on it. Made of fiberglass, about 5k to have made. images(2).jpeg

Just looked thru the Plasteak catalog. They have platforms for $0.40 per square inch plus brackets.

John

Made mine from 2 layers of marine ply, a jigsaw, and some glasswork.

Hoped it wold last 5 years, 10 years and going strong.

Cost about $250 for ply, glass, epoxy and bolts.

I had Plastek make a bow pulpit for a previous boat. It was very nice so I suspect their swim platforms would be nice also.

Just looked thru the Plasteak catalog. They have platforms for $0.40 per square inch plus brackets.

John

I replaced most of the exterior teak on my sailboat with Plasteak. Initially I was pretty impressed with it, easy to work and looks enough like real wood for a "10 foot look". But 5 or 6 years later it's starting to crack. The eyebrow pieces (trim between cabin top and sides) are cracking at the screw holes and a cabin top handrail broke in two between the mounting points. It is quite flexible with little structural strength and I would not trust it for something you stand on between supports like a swim step. That may be how the handrail broke, they get stepped on a lot.
I'm all for using recycled materials but the end product better perform as advertised. On my boat the Plasteak did not.

Just my opinion based on personal experience.

My original swim platform was 21" deep, not nearly enough for a new propane locker and davit system. I looked at commercial built and after recovering from shock I decided to build my own. Two sheets of 1/2" and one sheet of 3/4" marine plywood glue and screwed together. I cut multiple 4" holes in a pattern on the 3/4" plywood to lighten it. After gluing it all I laid a covering of fiberglass cloth with 3 coats of resin and then gel coated it to match hull color. New stainless supports (4) and upgraded bolts to 3/8" from 1/4" and install new rubber "bumper" on outboard side of platform. Total cost was right at $500 8 years ago. I made mine 36" deep x 96" wide. Original was 102" wide.
My boat has a 10ft 11inch (131 inch) beam but at the transom its only 102 inches. Your boat seems to have a 2.9meter (9ft 6.2inch) beam and I suspect much less at transom.

Last edited:
Mine was about $500 for new teak to extend the original by 13", from 20" to 33", by 12' ( full width at transom), plus 5 new SS supports, for another $1000, Looks like it was properly sized to begin with, now about 12 to 15 yrs in, my only regret is not doing it sooner.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom