Portland OR to San Fran bay area

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks for the heads up on that guide, done bought one.

I see you are in Ensenada, I'm a bit jealous.

I do see your point very well on the logistics issues and don't disagree.

Boat is in Ensenada having work done, I now live in Florida. Hopefully, boat will make it's way to Florida soon.

I met Don & Reanne Douglass, writer of the cruising guide I suggested, several times. Very interesting couple who had extensive sail cruising experience prior to purchasing their Nordhavn 40.

Reanne wrote an interesting book on their sail around Cape Horn that included a knock-down. She is candid about the pressure it put on their relationship - a good read for men with recalcitrant spouse. $5 for kindle version.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01L7YQNV2/ref=dbs_a_def_rwt_hsch_vapi_tkin_p1_i4

Peter

Mark,

I can offer some info on the Wa coast for your first hop. North to south. I've run that coast and crosses those bars more times than I can remember.

1st harbor of refuge is La Push. If you are planning on that one make sure you have a berth. It's a small harbor and if the fishing fleet is active, commercial or recreational, you may not have a berth. There is no place to anchor.

2nd is Grays Harbor / Westport. It's as far as river bars go an easy one. Not to say it is never hazardous, just easy to figure out. Westport is a big place, you'll almost never get skunked there. They started a year or two ago using the online reservation service. Being assured of getting a spot if you feel the need to duck in is not gong to happen. That said, I have ducked in, taken an open spot on the long dock with no fingers. Apologized the next morning, paid the fee and moved on.

Willapa. Don't go there. The entrance is dangerous, the channels constantly shift, the buoys when they are there may not mean anything. And once you're in there is almost no place to tie up.

Columbia River. Further up this thread is a good reference on the Columbia. Respect the Columbia. But if done in under the right conditions it's not bad at all.

For those and many coastal harbor entrances get some experience with your boat in following seas before heading down the coast. Central Juan de Fuca straits will often provide an opportunity to test you and your boat in following seas.

Mark,

I can offer some info on the Wa coast for your first hop. North to south. I've run that coast and crosses those bars more times than I can remember.

1st harbor of refuge is La Push. If you are planning on that one make sure you have a berth. It's a small harbor and if the fishing fleet is active, commercial or recreational, you may not have a berth. There is no place to anchor.

2nd is Grays Harbor / Westport. It's as far as river bars go an easy one. Not to say it is never hazardous, just easy to figure out. Westport is a big place, you'll almost never get skunked there. They started a year or two ago using the online reservation service. Being assured of getting a spot if you feel the need to duck in is not gong to happen. That said, I have ducked in, taken an open spot on the long dock with no fingers. Apologized the next morning, paid the fee and moved on.

Willapa. Don't go there. The entrance is dangerous, the channels constantly shift, the buoys when they are there may not mean anything. And once you're in there is almost no place to tie up.

Columbia River. Further up this thread is a good reference on the Columbia. Respect the Columbia. But if done in under the right conditions it's not bad at all.

For those and many coastal harbor entrances get some experience with your boat in following seas before heading down the coast. Central Juan de Fuca straits will often provide an opportunity to test you and your boat in following seas.

Thanks. I do plan to practice during the shake down. I'm shaking myself down too. :)

The whole plan is in flux but our hope for this first trip is to bring along my wife's brother who has spent 37 years captaining ocean going tugs.

Mark,

I believe La Push is a native community and is therefore closed to non-natives as is Neah Bay, COVID thing. So La Push may not be an option.

Yes, you are correct, La Push may still be closed to non natives due to covid. I was speaking to planning on La Push in a general sense. The point I was making is that unlike Neah Bay, Westport and the lower Columbia there is limited dock space and no good anchorages. Ducking into La Push for shelter you may find yourself headed right back out.

Yes, you are correct, La Push may still be closed to non natives due to covid. I was speaking to planning on La Push in a general sense. The point I was making is that unlike Neah Bay, Westport and the lower Columbia there is limited dock space and no good anchorages. Ducking into La Push for shelter you may find yourself headed right back out.

I agree. Under "normal" circumstances La Push would be a weather hole.

Yeah Covid is really messing with everyone's plans.

Port Angeles to Gray's or Astoria depending on the tides and such seems like the most likely hop in my case.

As before, I thank you all for your replies. As was mentioned by Mark, we are planning to take our time and are curious about the journey as well as the destination. I have ordered the book referenced and thank you for that.
Colin

As before, I thank you all for your replies. As was mentioned by Mark, we are planning to take our time and are curious about the journey as well as the destination. I have ordered the book referenced and thank you for that.
Colin

Wifey B: I found the stops mostly to be interesting. Small communities, history, nice harbors and places to explore in RIB. Most worth at least a day. Although we cruised about 20 knots and didn't really need fuel stops or pump outs, we turned the trip into a two week trip and it was very enjoyable. If it's somewhere we cruise regularly, we'll skip the towns and scenery, but when it's somewhere we may not get back to for years, we make a point to have the experience and connect with the locations. :D

Well, not overly experienced here, but have been up to Port Angles and back to the Columbia twice. Stopped both ways at Gray's Harbor. One way I stopped at Neah Bay and that was a good choice. Grays Harbor to Port Angeles is a long haul and I wouldn't do it again. I'm heading from the Columbia River south to SF this summer myself. I was thinking of waiting until mid- to late-June. I have been down and back to Newport a couple of times and have always stopped at Garibaldi.

Well, not overly experienced here, but have been up to Port Angles and back to the Columbia twice. Stopped both ways at Gray's Harbor. One way I stopped at Neah Bay and that was a good choice. Grays Harbor to Port Angeles is a long haul and I wouldn't do it again. I'm heading from the Columbia River south to SF this summer myself. I was thinking of waiting until mid- to late-June. I have been down and back to Newport a couple of times and have always stopped at Garibaldi.

Yeah, iSailor is suggesting the trip is a big hop. It would be nice to break it up but that may not be doable this year.

Port Angeles to Grays is about 24 hours for my boat, 31 if I go all the way to Astoria.

Being a new trawler owner based in Portland too, I've plotted that trip using my iPad navigation apps. My excursion is coming but a few years out though.

Given decent weather, favorable tides, and summer sunlight it looks to me like there's enough places to tuck in so that you could be in a harbor every night.

Mark, while you're getting used to your new to you trawler and wishing for the time you could cross the bar and head out to sea, point your boat upstream. You have ~210 miles upstream to our area. You will learn how to navigate through the locks, handle some tall waves as you go through the Gorge, and you can do the trip stopping at marinas every night.

Once you've reached the Tri Cities you have about 150 miles of the Snake River to play with.

If you decided to head our direction to the dry side of the PNW get in touch with me if you have any questions about where to dock, locks, etc. :dance:

Mike

The wife and I are planning to do that GFC. Seems to be a road less traveled.

I appreciate the offer, with luck maybe we can share lunch.

I am a strong second for GFC’s recommendation to do the Columbia and Snake river. After we completed the Great Loop and still had or C-Dory 25 we trailered it up to Lewiston and then cruised down the Snake River and Columbia to Astoria, then back up to Rose City Yacht Club in Portland. It’s a majestic trip on par or better than anything on the loop. We spent two weeks in early October and had perfect weather for the journey.
Cheers
Eric

Great thread!

Lots of good advice here.

This is why I subscribe.

~Alan

I am a strong second for GFC’s recommendation to do the Columbia and Snake river. After we completed the Great Loop and still had or C-Dory 25 we trailered it up to Lewiston and then cruised down the Snake River and Columbia to Astoria, then back up to Rose City Yacht Club in Portland. It’s a majestic trip on par or better than anything on the loop. We spent two weeks in early October and had perfect weather for the journey.
Cheers
Eric

Given the state of the world today, and the work we want to do to make 42 nice and 'ours' once we get her to Portland, the local Columbia will probably be our primary cruising grounds this year.

I grew up in Garibaldi. I would not cross Tillamook Bay bar unless you have good reason to stop or have local knowledge. I have childhood friends who have lost their lives on that bar.

Someone else mentioned WRI for weather service. I very highly recommend them, I work for a tugboat company and we use them as our weather service. They're extremely professional and provide excellent customer service.

Here is a little local knowledge about entering SF bay on a strong flood. Avoid the north side of the channel near Pt Bonita on the peak flood. A few weeks ago we were coming in on a 4 kt flood near Bonita with awful confused seas chop like you dont want to see. Counter current eddy.

I grew up in Garibaldi. I would not cross Tillamook Bay bar unless you have good reason to stop or have local knowledge. I have childhood friends who have lost their lives on that bar.

Someone else mentioned WRI for weather service. I very highly recommend them, I work for a tugboat company and we use them as our weather service. They're extremely professional and provide excellent customer service.

Captobie, do you know my boat, and the previous owner?
I picked through the pieces of Chaak on the beach in Garibaldi. The Seattle hotshot racing trimaran waited outside the bar for flood tide, an outside wave caught them and they broke up on the north jetty in no time. All surf type guys, no one died, boat would ahave beed totaled except the owners were extremely resourceful guys and owned a marine service center in Seattle. The boat was rebuilt. A displacement trawler would probably have been driftwood.

IMG_9643-1.jpg

Last edited:
Mark, while you're getting used to your new to you trawler and wishing for the time you could cross the bar and head out to sea, point your boat upstream. You have ~210 miles upstream to our area. You will learn how to navigate through the locks, handle some tall waves as you go through the Gorge, and you can do the trip stopping at marinas every night.

Once you've reached the Tri Cities you have about 150 miles of the Snake River to play with.

If you decided to head our direction to the dry side of the PNW get in touch with me if you have any questions about where to dock, locks, etc. :dance:

Mike

Mike we are planning on being up there (still) by mid April. I think that area is one of the best kept secrets in cruising. Lots of locals know, but few outsiders..:)

Captobie, do you know my boat, and the previous owner?
I picked through the pieces of Chaak on the beach in Garibaldi. The Seattle hotshot racing trimaran waited outside the bar for flood tide, an outside wave caught them and they broke up on the north jetty in no time. All surf type guys, no one died, boat would ahave beed totaled except the owners were extremely resourceful guys and owned a marine service center in Seattle. The boat was rebuilt. A displacement trawler would probably have been driftwood.

View attachment 112837

I’ve seen your pictures in the Facebook groups, beautiful boat. I don’t know who the previous owner would have been... I left after high school in the ‘80’s.

Mike we are planning on being up there (still) by mid April. I think that area is one of the best kept secrets in cruising. Lots of locals know, but few outsiders..:)

S-H-H-H-H-H-H, keep your voice down. This truly is a great place to go boating. If/when you are headed this direction please PM me. I've been up and down the rivers many times and can give you some answers to the many questions you will likely have. All of that wealth of knowledge may cost you the first round, but I'm negotiatable on that!

S-H-H-H-H-H-H, keep your voice down. This truly is a great place to go boating. If/when you are headed this direction please PM me. I've been up and down the rivers many times and can give you some answers to the many questions you will likely have. All of that wealth of knowledge may cost you the first round, but I'm negotiatable on that!

hahaha, how bout' the first nights on me?

GFC: Tru, the big rivers out here are great place for boating! Been doing that for a long time. This week, a boat was about the only way to get through the gorge due to floods, mudslides, truck wrecks. I got shut out on both sides of the gorge Wednesday trying to get to a hike.

My gal keeps a nice boat here in Saint Helens, my boat is up north: best of "boat" worlds!

Wifey B: We went back and forth between Port Angeles and Gray's Harbor six total trips but we were able to cruise at 20 knots. Still we stopped at Neah Bay twice and loved the reservation. :)

Wifey B: One of our goals is to one day go the full navigable distance of the Columbia River from Astoria. We only went a short distance beyond Portland when we were there, so that's on our list of rivers left to explore. :)

Wifey B: One of our goals is to one day go the full navigable distance of the Columbia River from Astoria. We only went a short distance beyond Portland when we were there, so that's on our list of rivers left to explore. :)
Wifey B, when you find yourselves on the lower stretches of the Columbia with a hankerin' to head upstream, sent me a PM. We've been up and down the river several times. Enough to know where to go and where not to. If you've never had the pleasure of going through our locks I might be able to give you a tip or two to make the passage a bit easier.

BandB,

It was definitely a dumb move on my part. It was my first trip north and I listened to my deck hand. His Port Angeles friend told him it was about a 10-hour trip. Clearly, a look at aby map would have told me differently. I would guess you could do that in 10 hours in a 20 knot boat, took us 20 hours. Never again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom