Border Closure Extended

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
By summer I'm thinking you might get into BC if you have been vaccinated and you have a covid test that shows negative.

By summer I'm thinking you might get into BC if you have been vaccinated and you have a covid test that shows negative.

That is a very optimistic view. There is a new app that you can put in your age and other criteria and it will tell you when to expect to get a vaccine.
For example, if you are over 70 and have no other positive reasons to advance your position in the queue, you should expect to get your vaccine by the end of May. If you have someone in your crew who is younger than that, you will be later.
That is a Canadian app, so you can also expect that in the US, things may not move at the same speed.

Thanks Keith, here is my place in line. There is hope. :socool:
Based on your profile, you could be in Stage 3 of the national guidelines for the COVID vaccine rollout. There are between 11,704,258 and 22,456,373 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across Canada.
But if I am alive in a year it gets better
Based on your profile, you could be in Stage 1 of the national guidelines for the COVID vaccine rollout. There are between 0 and 5,146,151 people in front of you in the queue for a COVID vaccine across Canada.
:dance:

Last edited:
I strongly suspect that with the rate of inoculations in both Canada and the USA the border closings will continue. Both countries are way behind inoculation projections by the authorities for various reasons. Couple that with the increasing rate of infections and deaths I see no reason to expect a different result.

Thankfully Mississippi just opened up vaccines to all over 65 :thumb: I'm scheduled for next Monday. Come on down.

Greetings,
One can only hope that someone...ANYONE will remember the most economically and socially effective means of containing the spread of the NEXT virus/plague that is coming. Australia and New Zealand seem to have a protocol that is working.

Singapore had formed government a department(s) to deal with the SARS epidemic in 2003 and as a result, the infrastructure was already in place to deal with COVID.
I know that not too many like the proliferation of yet more government but surely there will be some sort of plan for future reference.

To the politicians: Write it down people...... No, you won't remember.

iu

Ontario has just instituted a "stay at home" order supposedly to be enforced by police etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-january-13-2021-stay-at-home-order-1.5871090

We'll see how THAT works.

Last edited:
USA has 10 times Canada's population and has been holding at 34 times our number of Covid-19 cases for months.

The Spanish Flu, according to records in England, was 7 times worse in the second year. The biology of viruses and humans hasn't changed since then, and vaccines are slow getting into arms.

Gonna be a while yet.

Last edited:
I'm not optimistic for this summer....hope I'm wrong.

Ken,
I still think the border may be opened in off-season time. Opening during the summer would be a plus for business catering to tourism but a bit of an all out party with little control. We think mostly of marine tourism and of course there’s much more general tourism than marine.
But I’m thinking they will consider the probability of big numbers of Yanks flooding over the border when it opens ... far more in summer.
And the border will probably open when the virus is still a significant factor so some thoughts of “social distancing” will be, to some degree an element to be considered.

So I’m think’in the timing of opening will be late fall. Not what Americans (especially those in the PNW want to hear). But I will likely be totally wrong and the border opening timing may have all to do w the general bulk of tourism and money.

Last edited:
Let hope. If not, then I will get to Alaska by going through B.C. and spend our $$$ in SE Alaska. I doubt you'll see any cruise ships in SE this year.

The Spanish flu ended after a year without vaccinations. People either died or became immune.

The Spanish flu ended after a year without vaccinations. People either died or became immune.
We love to compare spanish flu plague with current one but there is nothing to compare.
People density was of a different order of magnitude, as was population displacement, as was also life expectancy (maybe difficult to imagine but in Europe beginning of 1900s life expectation for a woman was about 40), as was scientific/medical knowledge etc etc.

L

Greetings,
One can only hope that someone...ANYONE will remember the most economically and socially effective means of containing the spread of the NEXT virus/plague that is coming. Australia and New Zealand seem to have a protocol that is working.

Singapore had formed government a department(s) to deal with the SARS epidemic in 2003 and as a result, the infrastructure was already in place to deal with COVID.
I know that not too many like the proliferation of yet more government but surely there will be some sort of plan for future reference.

To the politicians: Write it down people...... No, you won't remember.

iu

Ontario has just instituted a "stay at home" order supposedly to be enforced by police etc.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/covid-19-ontario-january-13-2021-stay-at-home-order-1.5871090

We'll see how THAT works.
Similar measure in place in Quebec for a week now but like any measure, result can only be looked at if people respect it, what is not exactly the case here.
Last weekend we went to the nearby big name supermarket for few grocery, was the first time I went there since many many weeks (usually we go our grocery from less crowded places). I was amazed to see how much people do not care about the very basic recommendations, just trying to look over your shoulder or packed on each other, not even trying to wait 20 second to respect distances.

Watching this I do not expect much improvement in the near future.

L

Interestingly,but unfortunately, that`s the reverse of what`s happening now,except that a lot of people are still dying. Infections are increasing rapidly. Would that the virus would follow the Spanish flu trajectory, but it seems quite unpersuaded to do so.

Reading these posts in Australia...Not sure if you appreciate just how hard you have to hit it if you want the kinds of results that NZ and Australia have achieved.
And it is hard.
Down here, if there are 3 cases of community transmission, State borders get closed. Suburbs get locked down.
We can't leave Aus without a very good reason. And if you do, it's hard to get back in.
I don’t think that's going to translate to somewhere that people are affronted by being asked to wear a mask in close company.
I wish it were otherwise, but until people are willing to look out for their neighbours, and sacrifice their right to infect them, this is going to drag on.

Im not here to stir the pot, but find it interesting that we cannot bring our boats across, and you cannot walk or drive, but I be dammed I can fly out of Seattle in one hour and be in Vancouver BC in 35 min after take off without much more than a passport.

Im not here to stir the pot, but find it interesting that we cannot bring our boats across, and you cannot walk or drive, but I be dammed I can fly out of Seattle in one hour and be in Vancouver BC in 35 min after take off without much more than a passport.

Or fly to Mexico for a week and back with just a passport.

Not exactly:

COVID-19 testing required for people flying into Canada

Starting January 7, 2021, air travellers 5 years of age or older will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to the airline prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada.

Not exactly:

COVID-19 testing required for people flying into Canada

Starting January 7, 2021, air travelers 5 years of age or older will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 test result to the airline prior to boarding international flights bound for Canada.

Lou, you are correct but until that change Canadians went on flight holidays. Boat owners could visit their American moored boats for example by flying to Seattle and renting a car, return by plane to Vancouver and promise to quarantine for 14 days.
Americans could fly to Canada as well before 7th and just promise to quarantine.
Pretty lame system. I live under a landing path for Vancouver and air traffic is on the increase.

If not, then I will get to Alaska by going through B.C. and spend our $$$ in SE Alaska.

To the first point, I hope you have a plan B, maybe Mexico? To that, keep an eye on BC as we look at banning non-essential travel and I fail to see how transient US recreational boaters could escape that net.

And don’t hang your hat on CBSA policies. Excusers and justifiers, please for a line on the left.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7576041/bc-premier-first-press-conference-2021/

To the second point, I’m curious how much money you spent in BC on your previous (2?) transits. Compared to most land based visitors, of the same duration. I’m guessing it would be a pretty small amount.

To the first point, I hope you have a plan B, maybe Mexico? To that, keep an eye on BC as we look at banning non-essential travel and I fail to see how transient US recreational boaters could escape that net.

And don’t hang your hat on CBSA policies. Excusers and justifiers, please for a line on the left.
https://globalnews.ca/news/7576041/bc-premier-first-press-conference-2021/

To the second point, I’m curious how much money you spent in BC on your previous (2?) transits. Compared to most land based visitors, of the same duration. I’m guessing it would be a pretty small amount.

who do politicians get legal advice from, they are mostly lawyers?

What I find the most deceptive is to see people in every country (not talking about any one in particular, people are more or less the same everywhere) not being able to show common sense and have a protective behavior for themselves and others without having the government taking measure.
Do I really need someone to tell me that it is not a good idea to meet 200 persons in a bar in the current situation?
When I was a teenager it was the time when love became dangerous, I did not need a gov. representative to be with me in the bed to protect myself from potential HIV... Looks like nowadays common sense is more and more a rare thing.

L

Ron R-

Unless things have changed recently (which is very possible these days), Americans are NOT allowed to fly into Canada unless they fall into one of the very narrow “exempt” categories. Canadians are able to fly across the border in both directions if they observe local protocols on arrival. Unfortunately, Americans are still not permitted to fly into Canada for recreational purposes.

Looks like trying to do the Great Loop through Canada portion, will maybe not happen this year. Those going to Alaska, can just steam through, but that is impossible on the Canadian part of the Loop

BC is considering travel ban/limitations from other Canadian Provinces, so don't expect much to change regarding USA boaters:

The B.C. government is getting legal advice to determine whether an inter-provincial travel ban would be doable — or even constitutional — as a way to protect the province while the number of COVID-19 cases soars in other parts of Canada.

Premier John Horgan on Thursday said he and other leaders will be speaking about the issue later in the day and on Friday during a virtual, two-day cabinet retreat. He said he's aiming to nail down by the end of the summit which options the government can take, if any.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/brit...lity-of-inter-provincial-travel-ban-1.5872970

so don't expect much to change regarding USA boaters
I watched the Premiers presser when he brought this up. He spoke in general about non-essential travel to BC and for emphasis, cited those from Ontario and Quebec, "where numbers of cases are much greater than ours" overtaking our ski hills and recreation destinations.

Some local communities and boating groups, have the Premiers ear on AK transits.

Small close knit isolated coastal communities + multigenerational homes = recipe for disaster.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom