OA Swim Platform/Step

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnO

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Tsula
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 42
Any OA owners out there replaced the swim platform and installed a platform mounted davit system (Seawise/Weaver/Other)? OA 43' Tri needs a davit. Like the Seawise transom mount, but OEM platform (I think it's original) is pretty narrow and seems like it might have a hard time carrying load.

Local yard I spoke with today says I need to get a larger "custom fiberglass platform from the east coast" (I'm west coast) ... $8k - $10k +/- (off the cuff quote for the platform) and potentially more for structural enhancements. This will be my first boat of this size and I'm just starting to research, but my gut tells me there are other and potentially more economical options ... maybe I'm wrong on that. Thought I'd see if any current or former OA owners out there have been through this and have suggestions. Thanks in advance.

I have a 1988 420 Sundeck with what appears to be the original fiberglass platform. I have a SeaWise davit (manual, not hydraulic) and a Highfield 10.5' dinghy and 15HP EFI outboard that gets hoisted up on it.

I have pictures at https://seabits.com/rendezvous/

That's a sharp boat Steve!

I like the idea of installing myself although I have to figure out the swim platform. Teak platform (not FG) ...

Swim Platform.jpg

I'm thinking it is probably not deep enough to manage the davit, ladder and people. Also worried about support.

BTW, what kind of carpet material do you have on your back deck and does it hold up in the weather?

That's a sharp boat Steve!

I like the idea of installing myself although I have to figure out the swim platform. Teak platform (not FG) ...

View attachment 112700

I'm thinking it is probably not deep enough to manage the davit, ladder and people. Also worried about support.

BTW, what kind of carpet material do you have on your back deck and does it hold up in the weather?

Beautiful boat! That does look narrower than mine, and definitely not as structural. I don't know what the loads are, but having all the stainless steel from the davit + the 200-300 pounds of the dinghy and motor isn't insignificant.

The carpet is a marine carpet, I forget the manufacturer, and it's been outside for about 2 years, maybe a little longer. It has been flawless so far. There are two spots where the flybridge drains onto it, and it tends to capture the crap that birds leave up there and other junk, so that becomes hard to clean, but the rest is awesome.

I hate and love the black color - it sure makes it quick to dry in the sun, even in the winter. Then you just vacuum it! But it also gets hot (hah did I already say that) in the summer to the point where you can't walk on it in bare feet, and it heats my master berth up below!

I've looked at other alternatives including the fake teak stuff (way too expensive for the time it lasts) and a few other things, but I think I may replace it either when it starts to wear, or if I want to reduce the heat, with a mat product like Corinthian (https://corinthianmarine.com/aquamat/) which could be cut to match all the curves.

Thanks so much Steve. I was originally thinking I needed a yard to do the platform and davit, but now I'm thinking I may try to do it myself. Still need more research on that, but I agree with you ... think I'm going to need some extra structural help to support the weight. Thanks also for the info on the carpet. There's a carpet on the boat now, but I'm not sure its truly marine grade (it's been stored under cover for quite some time) so I want to make sure I get the right stuff. That Corinthian Aquamat looks pretty slick ... and price looks pretty reasonable. I'm gonna check that out.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom