Old 01-12-2021, 01:35 PM   #13
mvweebles
Guru

City: Saint Petersburg
Vessel Name: Weebles
Vessel Model: 1970 Willard 36 Trawler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Peter. I'm assuming then that Weebles already had a waterlift behind the engine allowing you to add a gooseneck? Seeker did not so one needed to be added. I made my gooseneck from hose and f/g elbows wasn't crazy about the plastic goosenecks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooksie View Post
Peter. I'm assuming then that Weebles already had a waterlift behind the engine allowing you to add a gooseneck? Seeker did not so one needed to be added. I made my gooseneck from hose and f/g elbows wasn't crazy about the plastic goosenecks.
I struggled with my exhaust system. When I got the boat it had just a plain water injector elbow off the engine exhaust manifold. 45 degree bend down, no loop, to a lift muffler. Then up along the sole to the back where it raised up and exited the hull higher than the sole - exit was the highest point of the exhaust system.

Several years ago I added an exhaust elbow that looped as high as possible, but the exhaust outlet through the hull was still the high point (I also added a rubber flap on the exhaust pipe).

I talked to a lot of people and never really came up with a good design that I liked a lot, just less bad than others. The plastic gooseneck is that "least bad" solution.

I forget if it was you or Island Cessna that put a loop above the cabin sole. This is a very sound design, the best from an exhaust design perspective. But would seriously interrupt my interior layout. And I had to ask myself "it's worked for 50 years...."

The biggest problem with small cruising boats is simply finding the space for stuff. The W36 is plenty big for moving along oceans, but space fills up quickly. Fuel tanks line the outboard sides of the engine room, water tanks behind. No way to run the exhaust out the side, probably the other best solution.

One of the few items I feel like I resolved, but never solved.

Peter
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote