New to Trawler Life

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OliviaLubeck

Veteran Member
Good morning,

I am from Savannah, Ga and am hoping to purchase a trawler to live on in the next year. I teach elementary kids during the school year and have summers off, so I think trawler living would be perfect for me... I have 100 other reasons why it's perfect for me, too! :lol: I don't know much about larger boats but I'm here to learn.

Welcome aboard! It is a great life and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.

Welcome to TrawlerForum - the TF Bigger Brain has a wide range of experience and is pretty helpful. Feel free to ping with questions.

Given you're in Savannah, and summer is hurricane season, are you thinking of something in your neighborhood, or elsewhere? Perhaps a trailerable boat that is easier/cheaper to store and can be 'cruise' at 60 mph? Just curious -

Peter

Welcome to TrawlerForum - the TF Bigger Brain has a wide range of experience and is pretty helpful. Feel free to ping with questions.

Given you're in Savannah, and summer is hurricane season, are you thinking of something in your neighborhood, or elsewhere? Perhaps a trailerable boat that is easier/cheaper to store and can be 'cruise' at 60 mph? Just curious -

Peter

Hi! I am planning to dock at a marina in my area and live on the boat. I imagine I'll travel up/down the coast during summer. Since I work in Savannah during the school year, I will have to stay local unless I decided to move, which I don't think I will. I know hurricanes can be a problem and getting boat insurance for a trawler on the east coast is difficult I hear but I'll have to navigate it somehow I guess!

I lived aboard for years. Sorry I ever bought a house - there is a 'zen' to living on a boat. Space is tight so it forces a certain austerity. For example, when I bought a pair of new Levi's, I had to throw-out an old pair to make room. I'm not sure it's sufficiently less expensive to recommend it for financial reasons alone, but the other reasons are why I enjoyed it. Feeding the pair of mallard ducks was nice - I miss 'Fred & Ethel.'

This forum is a good source - give a budget, a size, etc. Chances are folks will drum-up all sorts of listings.

BTW - not sure about Savannah, but liveaboard slips in many areas can be difficult. May want to consider a marina and slip availability to make sure you get a hand-in-glove fit.

Peter

I have no interest at all in working 8 hours and coming home to some lame house I can afford lol I need more out of life. I also realize I'll be working far more than 8 hours day since boats are so much work... but I imagine WORTH IT! lol

I would love to get a Kadey Krogen, I have seen one 2 on the market within my budget but I have no idea if they will cost me a lot in the long run since they're on the cheaper side. But, I am open to other brands of trawlers between 34-42 feet in the $100,000 price range. I just don't want to get stuck with junk.

Marina slip availability is pretty good in Savannah. I also know someone who runs a marina here and they have a good bit of space available for liveaboards.

I have no interest at all in working 8 hours and coming home to some lame house I can afford lol I need more out of life. I also realize I'll be working far more than 8 hours day since boats are so much work... but I imagine WORTH IT! lol

I would love to get a Kadey Krogen, I have seen one 2 on the market within my budget but I have no idea if they will cost me a lot in the long run since they're on the cheaper side. But, I am open to other brands of trawlers between 34-42 feet in the $100,000 price range. I just don't want to get stuck with junk.

Marina slip availability is pretty good in Savannah. I also know someone who runs a marina here and they have a good bit of space available for liveaboards.

Maybe not spend the money for an older Krogen (that very well might need quite a bit of work) but get something non “blue water capable”, newer and more updated? Unless you want the Krogen for open water crossings.

My point is that an older Krogen will still command a pretty good price because they are popular, but if you don’t need a full displacement boat use the money for something newer.

I might not be making myself clear here. Sorry. Need more coffee. ?

hmmm, okay. Do you have recommendations for a different brand of trawler? Also, what do you mean by open ocean? Like crossing to the Bahamas or farther than that?... I hope that makes sense lol I'd like something that would somewhat hold value but I understand that can be difficult.

hmmm, okay. Do you have recommendations for a different brand of trawler? Also, what do you mean by open ocean? Like crossing to the Bahamas or farther than that?... I hope that makes sense lol I'd like something that would somewhat hold value but I understand that can be difficult.

You can cross to the Bahamas on lots of boats, in the right weather. So if you want to just do that in the summer I don’t think you need a beefy KK42.

You can sometimes find later model Mainship 390s close to your price range. Lots of Carvers, Sea Rays, etc also, but they don’t look too trawler-like.

Mainship example. Pretty cool boats.
https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/2000/mainship-390-3734402/

Last edited:
I suggest finding a boat yard where people work on their own boats. Walk around the yard and just talk to the people messing with their boats, tell them you are looking to buy a trawler type boat and wanting to learn about them.

I think you'll find most boaters to be very friendly and willing to share details about their project, how their boat is built, what kinds of work they've had to do and many will even invite you to tour the inside of the boat. Even if they are working on completely different kinds of a boat, the information they share can be a good learning experience.

You can learn a lot that way even if you don't plan to do your own maintenance, and it can help get an understanding of what kinds of things you'd be looking at when buying a boat.

I have been watching Youtube video tours of some Mainship trawlers. I like them a lot! Thanks for the recommendation!

I suggest finding a boat yard where people work on their own boats. Walk around the yard and just talk to the people messing with their boats, tell them you are looking to buy a trawler type boat and wanting to learn about them.

I think you'll find most boaters to be very friendly and willing to share details about their project, how their boat is built, what kinds of work they've had to do and many will even invite you to tour the inside of the boat. Even if they are working on completely different kinds of a boat, the information they share can be a good learning experience.

You can learn a lot that way even if you don't plan to do your own maintenance, and it can help get an understanding of what kinds of things you'd be looking at when buying a boat.
Great idea! Thank you!

Liveaboard Trawler

Welcome aboard.
All boats are a compromise of more factors than are believable. You need to find one where the design compromises suit you.
As you look at LOTS of boats, both in person and online, consider how you might most often use a boat.
It sounds like you will be using it as a house most of the time, and coastal / ICW cruising in summers.
To me, this suggests that interior workspaces and comfort might be a priority, rather than open-ocean capability.
Opposite the Kadey-Krogen are the Bluewater brand boats, lake cruiser / houseboats with lots of space, but only marginal capability as boats.
Consider your access from a dock, fixed or floating, whether you would anchor or use a marina while cruising, and whether you might need a dinghy if you choose to anchor out.
Use the search time to take training. Power Squadron, local or regional training captains, and books can all be useful.
Will you be cruising alone, or with friends / family? This may affect the side deck width and line handling access you need.
Another thing to look at in this time is how you usually live your life. Do you need social space for lots of people (large saloon or aft deck) or not. Do you need headroom / elbow room ?
Check the availability of insurance, and what the insurers expect from you as an owner.
Jack Martin Associates in Solomons MD isva reliable agent, who works with the Marine Trawlers Owners Association (a good and cheap group) to get decent rates and conditions. They could give you some preliminary advice, as could many others here.
Note that GEICO / Boat US has stopped writing policies on boats over 40 feet long or over 20 years old. They were a major insurer.
Boat search sites will be your friend. Boats.com, boattrader.com, yachtworld.com, and others can help you see what is available, at what prices, and sometimes why that price is asked.
There is a book by Pascoe, Mid Sized Power Boats, that might help as an overview, though my reading of it is that he never saw a boat he liked. YMMV.
Good luck with your search.
JohnS

Welcome aboard.
All boats are a compromise of more factors than are believable. You need to find one where the design compromises suit you.
As you look at LOTS of boats, both in person and online, consider how you might most often use a boat.
It sounds like you will be using it as a house most of the time, and coastal / ICW cruising in summers.
To me, this suggests that interior workspaces and comfort might be a priority, rather than open-ocean capability.
Opposite the Kadey-Krogen are the Bluewater brand boats, lake cruiser / houseboats with lots of space, but only marginal capability as boats.
Consider your access from a dock, fixed or floating, whether you would anchor or use a marina while cruising, and whether you might need a dinghy if you choose to anchor out.
Use the search time to take training. Power Squadron, local or regional training captains, and books can all be useful.
Will you be cruising alone, or with friends / family? This may affect the side deck width and line handling access you need.
Another thing to look at in this time is how you usually live your life. Do you need social space for lots of people (large saloon or aft deck) or not. Do you need headroom / elbow room ?
Check the availability of insurance, and what the insurers expect from you as an owner.
Jack Martin Associates in Solomons MD isva reliable agent, who works with the Marine Trawlers Owners Association (a good and cheap group) to get decent rates and conditions. They could give you some preliminary advice, as could many others here.
Note that GEICO / Boat US has stopped writing policies on boats over 40 feet long or over 20 years old. They were a major insurer.
Boat search sites will be your friend. Boats.com, boattrader.com, yachtworld.com, and others can help you see what is available, at what prices, and sometimes why that price is asked.
There is a book by Pascoe, Mid Sized Power Boats, that might help as an overview, though my reading of it is that he never saw a boat he liked. YMMV.
Good luck with your search.
JohnS

You are correct, I will be using the boat to live on for most of the year. I think regardless of that, though, i'd still like open ocean capability because I'd like to visit different islands in the Caribbean. I will be traveling with someone all of the time most likely and plan to have my parents join on some trips, but I won't be entertaining people every weekend. I really like the Mainship trawlers that were suggested to me earlier. What do you think about them? I feel like everyone has a different brand of boat they like. I mostly just want the saloon to be up and not down with windows on both sides. I'd also like the outside to having a good outside space whether on the back or up top.

Thanks for all of the good information. I'm willing to listen to any advice you have for as long as you're willing to give it! lol

You are correct, I will be using the boat to live on for most of the year. I think regardless of that, though, i'd still like open ocean capability because I'd like to visit different islands in the Caribbean. I will be traveling with someone all of the time most likely and plan to have my parents join on some trips, but I won't be entertaining people every weekend. I really like the Mainship trawlers that were suggested to me earlier. What do you think about them? I feel like everyone has a different brand of boat they like. I mostly just want the saloon to be up and not down with windows on both sides. I'd also like the outside to having a good outside space whether on the back or up top.

Thanks for all of the good information. I'm willing to listen to any advice you have for as long as you're willing to give it! lol

There's open ocean, and then there's open ocean. Many (including the Mainships) can cross from southeast Florida to the Bahamas, and walking down most of that chain isn't all that difficult. Especially if you pick your weather windows as suitable for whatever boat you end up with.

Further down there... each leg gets longer... and I'd imagine being stuck out in the middle of one if Neptune wakes up could be at the very least uncomfortable. Although many times, the boat will be more comfortable than the crew.

You might have a look at everyone's avatar... many (though not all) use pics of their actual boat... and some of those might give you some ideas on how to shop. Length, by itself, doesn't completely define suitability. Ideally you identify features you need/like/want/etc. and then go find boats like that. Features might be X staterooms, Y heads, flybridge (or not), galley up or down, single-handing friendly, etc etc etc.

Note also some non-trawlers :) might float your boat, too.

-Chris

I liked the Mainships for the openness of the cocpit and the walk-in to the saloon. Great spaces there, also fairly easy to get around on the side decks.
We chose our Cheoy Lee for the walk around queen master with a large shower, 6'6" head room, and the absence of the stern shiding glass doors.
When I worked offshore, we were caught in bad weather several times, and I was looking at worst cases when we selected our boat.
JohnS

I liked the Mainships for the openness of the cocpit and the walk-in to the saloon. Great spaces there, also fairly easy to get around on the side decks.
We chose our Cheoy Lee for the walk around queen master with a large shower, 6'6" head room, and the absence of the stern shiding glass doors.
When I worked offshore, we were caught in bad weather several times, and I was looking at worst cases when we selected our boat.
JohnS

Yes, I like the openness too! I really like the glass doors on the back. Why didn't you want that? Because of bad weather?

Yes. I have been caught offshore in bad thunderstorms on the Texas Gulf Coast and that much glass worried me.
But then I am a pessimist that way.
For the worst one, we were on a helicopter and couldn't outrun it. Shut down on an oil platform to wait it out, but the seas went to 25+ in shallow water, the winds went to 125, and the helicopter was torn from the tiedowns and tossed overboard.
Not usual weather, and long forecasted, but the sea can be unforgiving.
Keep an eye on the forecasts, DON'T try to keep a schedule, and have fun.
Fair winds, JohnS

Hi! I am planning to dock at a marina in my area and live on the boat. I imagine I'll travel up/down the coast during summer. Since I work in Savannah during the school year, I will have to stay local unless I decided to move, which I don't think I will. I know hurricanes can be a problem and getting boat insurance for a trawler on the east coast is difficult I hear but I'll have to navigate it somehow I guess!

Get a quote before you buy! Many insurance companies will not insure a boater jumping up in size especially in an older boat.

Olivia. Pick a boat you may be interested in and go to an insurance agent, to a marina of your choice and eliminate insurance and moorage as a obstacle. The threads here lately have centered on insurance, in named storm areas, for liveaboards, for those boating for decades.
Then when you eliminate your area, consider the PNW for a boat and a summer away adventure.

Yes. I have been caught offshore in bad thunderstorms on the Texas Gulf Coast and that much glass worried me.
But then I am a pessimist that way.
For the worst one, we were on a helicopter and couldn't outrun it. Shut down on an oil platform to wait it out, but the seas went to 25+ in shallow water, the winds went to 125, and the helicopter was torn from the tiedowns and tossed overboard.
Not usual weather, and long forecasted, but the sea can be unforgiving.
Keep an eye on the forecasts, DON'T try to keep a schedule, and have fun.
Fair winds, JohnS
That's so scary! I don't even have a boat yet and look at the weather every day. Those summer storms come on quickly and can be scary. Thanks for your input.

Olivia. Pick a boat you may be interested in and go to an insurance agent, to a marina of your choice and eliminate insurance and moorage as a obstacle. The threads here lately have centered on insurance, in named storm areas, for liveaboards, for those boating for decades.
Then when you eliminate your area, consider the PNW for a boat and a summer away adventure.
Great advice. I will do that! Thanks!

No advice here just a note for clarification. Boat US gave me a quote for a 64’ Grand Banks for anywhere in US or Caribbean less than a year ago so this policy of limiting insurance for smaller boats only must have changed.

Trawlers

KKs are fantastic boats. They (and similar boats) are referred to as "Expedition" Trawlers. Which means you are paying for strength and other features that you will never need or use. It's kind of like saying "I want a safe car" and someone suggesting that you buy a tank.

While I'm prejudiced, I think that for what you are describing, you can't beat a Grand Banks 36 Classic. Check them out online. You can get a nice one for $100k and it will hold it's value (as much as any boat does). You can find some with the wood decks already removed (as I did) or you can get one with all the wood still on it and that will give you something to do while dockside :)
You might be able to substitute large boat experience with a trawler course, of which there are several on the East Coast and maybe a Power Squadron class. Talk to GEICO/Boats US insurance, tell them about yourself and what you want to do and see what they will insure.

Then come back here and start asking questions. There are a ton of things you need to be aware of when buying an older Trawler, particularly if you aren't that familiar with large boats.

Good Luck!

Live aboard marinas in GA

BTW - not sure about Savannah, but liveaboard slips in many areas can be difficult. May want to consider a marina and slip availability to make sure you get a hand-in-glove fit.

Isle of Hope Marina is probably the best in the area. A better marina, but farther south, would be Brunswick Landing.

Back
Top Bottom