View Single Post
Old 01-11-2021, 05:18 PM   #13
trawlercap

City: Bend, Oregon
Vessel Name: JoAhna K
Vessel Model: 58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
I much prefer the Aleutians and Alaska in the summer than the West Coast of USA.

While I understand the appeal of day hopping, unless you have a reason to visit any given port, say hopping is, by far, the slowest, most expensive, and perhaps least safe way of transiting this coast.

Fastest transit will be to tuck your chin into your chest, set your throttles at 8-kts, and don't stop until weather or fuel force you to. Good change you can go for three days straight and cover some enormous ground.

I agree with Peter, on most passages, get to it and get it over, port to port is a real drag. Just heads up, the farther south you travel, starting at Newport, the more wicked the NW wind becomes. High temps inland causes air to rise. It has to be replaced by cold dense air from the ocean. I've had my head handed to me on very capable rigs. One reason I hate the Oregon Coast. I was pinned down under Cape Medicino at Shelter Cove for 7 days and nights. It blew a figging gale non stop NW. Don't get lulled into rounding the capes in after noon conditions, if you are 20 miles north, it will seem easy enough. Fishermen call Cape Mendicino waves "buffaloes" for good reason. Some of the worst sunny conditions I've ever seen. Other than that..have a great trip!...:-)
trawlercap is offline   Reply With Quote