Trailerable Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
launching without trailer tongue extension

I don't know if this would work with your boat, but I have watched my friend launch his San Juan 24 fixed keel sailboat many times by backing the trailer down to just before the wheels get wet, chocking the wheels, unhooking the trailer and attaching a 20 foot chain to the trailer and the hitch and pulling forward to tension the chain. He then pulls forward enough to unloose the chock and lets the trailer roll into the water far enough to float the boat off and pulls the trailer out with the chain. You have to have a jackstand with a fairly sturdy wheel on it. Retrieving the boat is just the reverse. It works like a charm and gets the truck up on the dry part of the ramp where it has good traction before it pulls the boat completely out, too.

It wasn't my proudest moment.I put snow chains on the rear of my 4x4 Ranger to unload a boat.I had to back all the way in until water almost came in the door.If I hadn't had chains,I would have ended up swimming.Ramp was steep and slick,trailer was too short,and 4x4 wasn't going to work on soaked concrete.

Back
Top Bottom