View Single Post
Old 01-06-2021, 07:30 PM   #8
Jeff Lebowski
Veteran Member

City: Virginia Beach
All good points. More info...

I just threw the 500K out there from looking at used online. The boat will most likely be used. It looks like you can get a hell of a nice boat for that so I may spend less. I figure the house will be sold and we'll live on the boat, so I made it a big number. If we're going to live on it, I'll want size and a reasonable supply of goodies from an accommodation standpoint. Washer/Dryer, AC, etc. Watermaker?? I am planning on a single screw.

If we do this, it will be in Canada. My wife is from Victoria BC, but I don't plan on keeping it in Victoria. The water between Vancouver Island and mainland BC is supposedly a phenomenal cruising ground with hundreds of miles of rivers and bays on both coasts. I envision running up and down the island from Seattle to the island's northern tip, Port Hardy. I figure that we'll live on it for 5-7 months and then head for a warm spot for the winter and park it somewhere safe and secure.

I have 45 years of active boating. The first 10 on sailboats, the rest on power but nothing larger than my current boat, a 30-foot center-console with twins. I have a USCG Masters License but only a 25T rating with Assistance Towing. No experience with a large, heavy boat. I have no idea if that will help with the cost of insurance. But I'm paying almost $1100 per year now for insurance on a 100K boat. I have never filed a claim or gotten a DUI or any other felonies, etc.

I have heard the 10 percent rule. Does this include insurance and mooring fees or is this JUST maintenance?

Thank you all. I am in the research phase.
Jeff Lebowski is offline   Reply With Quote