Why we boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marin

Guru
The "What our boats say about us" thread got me thinking about why I even deal with boats and boating in the first place. It's expensive, it takes time, and if you do a lot of the work yourself, it can be frustrating. So why bother? My wife and I could spend more of our free time flying (and letting the A&P deal with the maintenance) or canal boating in Europe or fly fishing or whatever if we didn't have this old Grand Banks to deal with.

So why do I bother? It's a question that one could write a book in the course of answering but I'll try not to do that....

I boat primarily because I love the mood of a marine environment. Or I should say, of the marine environment here. I absolutely love boating in fog. I love the look of it, and I love the challenge. I love boating in misty rain. Boating on nice days is a pleasant contrast and I enjoy it but I much prefer the days where things drift in and out of the mist as we move through the islands. I love seeing the animals--- the birds, whales, porpoises, seals, otters--- in their environment in which we are guests. I love staying on the boat in the middle of winter when the wind is gusting to 60 and everything around us is rattling and clanging and the sailboat rigging is moaning and the waves are smashing against the breakwater.

I love what some call the "BC Raincoast," the maze of islands, channels, and bays that form the Inside Passage from the Gulf Islands to Prince Rupert. It's got a mystery to it that I've found nowhere else on earth. So far, other than than my initial ferry ride down it and boating in the lower end of it, my experience along the Inside Passage has been in a floatplane. But the same moods hold true for flying the area as boating it.

It's a bit intimidating and scary, too, up the Passage at times. Flying or boating among mountains that drop straight into the water certainly drives home our insignificance in the overall scheme of things. Even the river otters on shore are better equipped to survive up there than we are if you take away our boats and planes and radios and iPads and cans of chile. But I've found the apprehension and even nervousness about heading into this country by water or air is worth it because of the reward of simply being there. And the challenge and degree of uncertainty makes me feel alive like nothing else does, at least not in the same way.

So for me, boating is a way to get into country I love being in and that I find inspirational. I have no interest in the social aspects of boating. Marina parties and dock visits leave me cold although I do like boating with select friends who I know feel the same about the area as we do.. With the exception of Maine and the Canadian Maritimes, if I lived anywhere else along the Lower 48 US coast I very much doubt I would bother with boating at all other than perhaps the fishing aspect. From photos and videos and reading about it, I don't see anything about the rest of the country that would interest me at all from a cruising aspect.. I would find some other pastime that provided the same sense of wonder that boating produces here.

In short, boating makes me feel part of an environment that never ceases to amaze and inspire me. I like running the boat and always learning how to run it better. And it's important to the quality of my boating experience that the boat itself be one that I want to run and that looks like what I think a boat should look like. But the main thing is the getting out there and being a participant along with the ravens and bears and porpoises in this wonderful experience called the Inside Passage.

image-3257291949.jpg

Last edited:
The "What our boats say about us" thread got me thinking about why I even deal with boats and boating in the first place. It's expensive, it takes time, and if you do a lot of the work yourself, it can be frustrating. So why bother? My wife and I could spend more of our free time flying (and letting the A&P deal with the maintenance) or canal boating in Europe or fly fishing or whatever if we didn't have this old Grand Banks to deal with.

So why do I bother? It's a question that one could write a book in the course of answering, but I'll try to keep it short, even for me.

I boat primarily because I love the mood of a marine environment. Or I should say, of the marine environment here. I absolutely love boating in fog. I love the look of it, and I love the challenge. I love boating in misty rain. Boating on nice days is a pleasant contrast and I enjoy it but I much prefer the days where things drift in and out of the mist as we move through the islands. I love seeing the animals--- the birds, whales, porpoises, seals, otters--- in their environment in which we are guests. I love staying on the boat in the middle of winter when the wind is gusting to 60 and everything around us is rattling and clanging and the sailboat rigging is moaning and the waves are smashing against the breakwater.

I love what some call the "BC Raincoast," the maze of islands, channels, and bays that form the Inside Passage from the Gulf Islands to Prince Rupert. It's got a mystery to it that I've found nowhere else on earth. So far, other than than my initial ferry ride down it and boating in the lower end of it, my experience along the Inside Passage has been in a floatplane. But the same moods hold true for flying the area as boating it.

It's a bit intimidating and scary, too, up the Passage at times. Flying or boating among mountains that drop straight into the water certainly drives home our insignificance in the overall scheme of things. Even the river otters on shore are better equipped to survive up there than we are if you take away our boats and planes and radios and iPads and cans of chile. But I've found the apprehension and even nervousness about heading into this country by water or air is worth it because of the reward of simply being there. And the challenge and degree of uncertainty makes me feel alive like nothing else does, at least not in the same way.

So for me, boating is a way to get into country I love being in and that I find inspirational. I have no interest in the social aspects of boating. Marina parties and dock visits leave me cold although I do like boating with select friends who I know feel the same about the area as we do.. With the exception of Maine and the Canadian Maritimes, if I lived anywhere else along the Lower 48 US coast I very much doubt I would bother with boating at all other than perhaps the fishing aspect. From photos and videos and reading about it, I don't see anything about the rest of the country that would interest me at all from a boating aspect.. I would find some other pastime that provided the same sense of wonder that boating produces here.

In short, boating makes me feel part of an environment that never ceases to amaze and inspire me. I like running the boat and always learning how to run it better. And it's important to the quality of my boating experience that the boat itself be one that I want to run and that looks like what I think a boat should look like. But the main thing is the getting out there and being a participant along with the ravens and bears and porpoises in this wonderful experience called the Inside Passage.

View attachment 12098

Well said.

Boating is an easy way to spend your money fast.

But even better, it is a quick method of entering "another world."

img_95643_0_643c9354f2f1c1f74bcce0d6912256c3.jpg

Last edited:
Well said, Marin, and as you and I have discussed before, what is perfect geographic beauty for one may not be for another. Your photos are magnificent, by the way.

For me, I love the feeling of being "away" my phone doesn't ring all the time, we play cards with the kids, I drink a beer and go swimming at 2:00 in the afternoon sometimes.

It is weird, but I like the winter too, and before you all scoff, it gets damn cold on the water in the winter in North Florida. I like the feeling that being in a well anchored (or tied to a secure dock) boat in bad weather gives me. It is sort of like nesting, I think.

On the last night at anchor of our Bahamas cruise in July I woke up at 4:00 am (I have to do that a lot of nights now that I am in my 40's :) ) and went up on deck to check the anchor. It was pond calm but the air had that tropical feel that we don't get at home. The bazillion stars were now 2 bazillion because they were reflected everywhere. I could clearly see a conch shell on the bottom in 15 feet of water with just the moonlight. I don't feel that way on land.

I don't feel that way on land.

To me that is the essence of boating. It is a totally different environment. We pay the price in money and adapting to it, but it is so totally different that it is worth it. I too like boating or just being on the boat in rain or inclement weather. To be so close to nature and snug inside with a book is great. Navigating in the dark or inclement weather takes your full concentration. I never rest any better than when we anchor or tie up after that.

Among other stuff, Marin wrote...

.........In short, boating makes me feel part of an environment that never ceases to amaze and inspire me. I like running the boat and always learning how to run it better. And it's important to the quality of my boating experience that the boat itself be one that I want to run and that looks like what I think a boat should look like. But the main thing is the getting out there and being a participant along with the ravens and bears and porpoises in this wonderful experience called the Inside Passage.

Yup...Like he said...except in my case the love developed on the NZ waterways and continued here in Queensland. "All time long same..."

Last edited:
I'm at rest when I'm moving. Boats are always moving.
My generation tends to be one of hurried greedy fingerpointers...I can escape that to a large degree on the water. I like the adventure of being responsible for my fate (rather than blaming others).

I have just spent the evening with god friends, on our boats,of course. In Garden Bay, at Pender harbour, BC. The weather here is beautiful, friends are close, what could be better. This is why we boat.

Boating i have never worked so hard in my life after i retired and started my hobby refinished 3 boats in 3 years, It is a labor of love a long day working on the boat or boating down the ICW at night is like another world with none of the problems and issues we incounter daily !

Live Worthy Boat, out on the water... while cruising, hooking, or beaching becomes its own world... it creates a separate-world. Car, Motor Home, Airplane, House does not produce the same separate-world creating feeling we get on our boat.

Like all here-I just do not get the same feeling on land as on water. On the one hand-we leave the dock and have total control over and responsibility for, our existence (and those with us). yet, we all know that control is but an illusion that can be taken from us in an instant. An interesting dichotomy and much like life itself. Total control and total insignificance in the same moment.

I have always maintained that no one who ever is out at sea in a smaller boat (as opposed to a cruise ship!), on a still, moonlight, cloudless night with phosporescence trailing in a wake, will ever look at things the same way again. To me, it was magic the first time and it remains magic each and every time since.

Like all here-I just do not get the same feeling on land as on water. On the one hand-we leave the dock and have total control over and responsibility for, our existence (and those with us). yet, we all know that control is but an illusion that can be taken from us in an instant. An interesting dichotomy and much like life itself. Total control and total insignificance in the same moment.

I have always maintained that no one who ever is out at sea in a smaller boat (as opposed to a cruise ship!), on a still, moonlight, cloudless night with phosporescence trailing in a wake, will ever look at things the same way again. To me, it was magic the first time and it remains magic each and every time since.

Very poetic. You reminded me of a crystalizing moment that's high on the list of reasons I boat.

Several years ago I was at the helm of a 76-ft Alden cutter-rigged ketch bound for the BVIs. We were in the southern latitudes hundreds of miles from land, on a beam reach and flying all the sails she had -- making a solid 10 knots. it was about 2 in the morning, the air was crystal clear and I glanced over my shoulder to see the wake glowing with phosphorescence stretching as far behind me as I could see. The guy on watch with me was napping and I had this moment entirely to myself--pretty much an out-of-body experience. I hope that's a memory that lasts as long as I do.

When our sons were very young we would anchor for the weekend at Cape Lookout. At night before we would let them shower on the boat, we would put them in the cockpit. Then we would take their bathing suits off them to dump the beach sand. We would turn on our salt water wash down to rinse them off and the sand out of the boat. The turbulence created by the wash down pump would activate the phosporescent elements in the seawater. It is a great memory to think of those little guys standing there with little sparklies all over their bodies. They still say that our time boating is the best memory they have of their childhood.

In our 60's now. The wife and I still enjoy going out to the same beaches we had our toddlers on. Presently our 30 year old son is in Kuwait doing army intelligence work, 23 year old daughter preparing for sept 1st departure for 2 year peace core mission to Etheopia. But the coastal Georgia Bradley Point beach and sand dunes they played on are still there, and I can still see them playing in my minds eye. Whenever they are home which is now rare, they still want to "go out in the boart".

IMHO - We on TF and those of other forums, as boaters... with past boating memories and building memories every boating experience... are about the luckiest people in the world. If the big Cahona asks me after passing what hobby/pastime/passion I'd like most to enjoy if I were to be given a new life - - > "Boating" would be my one word reply.

Nearly every family member, in each generation, asks us during most chats - "How are your boats doing? And, we can hardly wait to join you two again". Makes me bout as happy as I can be. Pleases the heck out of Linda too. Included with other factors... boating has kept us in great family favor for visits that include Boating Fun and Boating Adventure.

Grand kids are a BLAST! We love to teach em and watch em grow!

Big Smiles!! - Art and Linda :D:D :dance::dance:

Last edited:
IMHO - We on TF and those of other forums, as boaters... with past boating memories and building memories every boating experience... are about the luckiest people in the world.

Well said, X2!

Why I boat?? Hmmm.....

Love being on the water, love being with my family.

Last edited:
I have just spent the evening with god friends, on our boats,of course. In Garden Bay, at Pender harbour, BC. The weather here is beautiful, friends are close, what could be better. This is why we boat.

Now they are friends worth having!;)

I live in Alaska. When I leave the harbor I am Master and Commander of my own design. There are the exhilarating moments of danger when the sea works against you and the moments of Serene solitude when there is no one around for miles and miles.

As I stand at the helm or on the deck I know that I am in control of my own fate.
I know my boat from stem to stern and every system on her because I made it myself.
It is also the knowledge that that control can be taken from me by the sea and give me white knuckles and sweat on the brow.
God I love it. It makes me feel alive.

SD

The "What our boats say about us" thread got me thinking about why I even deal with boats and boating in the first place. It's expensive, it takes time, and if you do a lot of the work yourself, it can be frustrating. So why bother?

Great post!

I boat, and this is going to sound silly...

The sea draws me to it, like nothing else ever has.

The promise of adventure, or seeing something new, of being challenged by the elements, all those things draw me to boating, and have kept me there like no other "hobby" has.

Marin, like you I am a pilot. I've flown floatplanes throughout Alaska, and have explored this great wilderness.

In 1998 I was working at a job site in Whittier, Alaska, and was walking the dock, looking over boats in the harbor, talking to people, hearing their stories.

I saw a little red Nordic Tug and remember calling my wife on the cell phone, and telling her that I wanted to buy that boat and go explore.

Her words were "sell your plane" and you can have it. Well, I did just that and never looked back.

14 years and 5 boats later the sea still draws me just like it did then. Even stronger now.

Great post!

I boat, and this is going to sound silly...

The sea draws me to it, like nothing else ever has.

The promise of adventure, or seeing something new, of being challenged by the elements, all those things draw me to boating, and have kept me there like no other "hobby" has.

Marin, like you I am a pilot. I've flown floatplanes throughout Alaska, and have explored this great wilderness.

In 1998 I was working at a job site in Whittier, Alaska, and was walking the dock, looking over boats in the harbor, talking to people, hearing their stories.

I saw a little red Nordic Tug and remember calling my wife on the cell phone, and telling her that I wanted to buy that boat and go explore.

Her words were "sell your plane" and you can have it. Well, I did just that and never looked back.

14 years and 5 boats later the sea still draws me just like it did then. Even stronger now.

That sounds human and great! Not silly ;)

Ksanders---- Didn't know you were a floatplane pilot. And in Alaska to boot. Very cool.

While I really enjoyed all the flying I did in Hawaii in the variety of planes I flew there, and getting my Commercial, Instrument, and Instructor ratings, my real draw to flying was going places and seeing what there was along the way to see. I have never been much interested in just flying around. This is what attracted me to seaplanes even before leaving Hawaii (there weren't any over there at the time) and why as soon as I moved to the Seattle area I got my seaplane rating and never flew a landplane again. But the attraction was not so much the flying but the where I could go and what I could do when I got there using a floatplane.

Which is what got my wife and I started with our many flights up the Passage to SE Alaska and into the BC Coast Range.

Boating is the same thing for us. It's not so much "the boat" but what we can do and where we can go in the boat. We like running the boat, and we actually enjoy (most of the time) working on it. I particularly enjoy working on the exterior teak. The frustration is I usually don't have enough time to do it properly. So from the working-on-it aspect, the boat fills the role of a big, ongoing hobby. It was one reason we decided to get an old one. That and the fact that older GBs are dirt cheap.:)

But while we really enjoy the flying (my wife had owned two planes before I met her, a single and a twin, so was well aware of the never-ending and higher expense of plane ownership), if we had to pick flying or boating we would without hesitation choose boating. Not because it's the cheaper of the two pastimes but because it gives us the greatest reward.

Last edited:
Ksanders---- Didn't know you were a floatplane pilot. And in Alaska to boot. Very cool.

While I really enjoyed all the flying I did in Hawaii in the variety of planes I flew there, and getting my Commercial, Instrument, and Instructor ratings, my real draw to flying was going places and seeing what there was along the way to see. I have never been much interested in just flying around. This is what attracted me to seaplanes even before leaving Hawaii (there weren't any over there at the time) and why as soon as I moved to the Seattle area I got my seaplane rating and never flew a landplane again. But the attraction was not so much the flying but the where I could go and what I could do when I got there using a floatplane.

Which is what got my wife and I started with our many flights up the Passage to SE Alaska and into the BC Coast Range.

Boating is the same thing for us. It's not so much "the boat" but what we can do and where we can go in the boat. We like running the boat, and we actually enjoy (most of the time) working on it. I particularly enjoy working on the exterior teak. The frustration is I usually don't have enough time to do it properly. So from the working-on-it aspect, the boat fills the role of a big, ongoing hobby. It was one reason we decided to get an old one. That and the fact that older GBs are dirt cheap.:)

But while we really enjoy the flying (my wife had owned two planes before I met her, a single and a twin, so was well aware of the never-ending and higher expense of plane ownership), if we had to pick flying or boating we would without hesitation choose boating. Not because it's the cheaper of the two pastimes but because it gives us the greatest reward.

In some ways we are allot alike.

I got into aviation as a means to explore places, not because of a love for flying.

I bought a 1949 Taylorcraft Floatplane on Edo 1320 floats. I had the plane fully restored and modified, hiring some of the work out, and helping where I could. The plane had a walki talki, a intercom, headsets, and a battery operated moving map GPS (thats what they called them back then.) No other electrical. Stand on the float and pull the prop to start.

Then I hired a flight instructor to teach me to fly.

The day I passed my check ride I had the floats put back on and never took them off. Bought a house on a lake so I could park the plane in my yard.

I drove that plane all over, it was a great adventure!

Boating is similar.

Bought my first boat to try it out, then a year later bought a larger boat and made my first inside passage, and gulf crossing journey driving it home.

Yor're entirely correct...

Its not the boat, or the plane thats important.

Its what you do in the boat, or plane thats important. We make the adventuure, not the boat.

Every year about this time is when I can get a chance to get on the water. We still have to work for a few more years before retiring but make the most out of vacation when we can. We are heading to Newfoundland in a couple of weeks for 5wks. Wowho can't wait. Each year retiring gets closer and each year it gets more exciting. This year the privilege of having my daughter and grandkids join us will be just awesome, which BTW will be the first time for her flat-lander husband getting the opportunity to catch a real fish. I'll just have to show him that living around water is way more interesting than living on a farm.

I will share some pictures later on this fall of why we like boating, fishing and just being near the water.

Now how many days are left??? countdown started 10 more days left to fly there.

Elwin

Last edited:
... I have never been much interested in just flying around. This is what attracted me to seaplanes even before leaving Hawaii (there weren't any over there at the time) and why as soon as I moved to the Seattle area I got my seaplane rating and never flew a landplane again. But the attraction was not so much the flying but the where I could go and what I could do when I got there using a floatplane. ...

.. [but] if we had to pick [between] flying or boating we would without hesitation choose boating. Not because it's the cheaper of the two pastimes but because it gives us the greatest reward.

232323232%7Ffp63552%3Enu%3D3363%3E33%3A%3E57%3B%3EWSNRCG%3D38329939%3A2336nu0mrj

Boating is more than a passtime for us, it is our raison etre. We left the cold climes of New York 44 years ago so we could boat 12 months a year. CG Auxiliary patrols, a monthly predicted log race, yacht club raft-ups, and our annual trip up the coast to Catalina Island comprises what we do on the water. And what could be better than re-wiring, pulling on wrenches, or keeping up the brightwork?

Boating has been a means to an end, not really about boating/cruising. Over the years the reasons have changed. Single/young boating was to attract GIRLS. :thumb: Two things attract girls, boats, and dog/puppy, and I had both. Mid years and family, boating and camping/RVing was a family/friend activity. Mid life crises and as the children left the nest my wife and I got a friendly equitable divorce. So back on the dating seen again, reverted back to what worked, boating and dogs/puppies to attract WOMEN. :thumb:

My new present wife, who worked in Seattle, decided we needed a bigger boat for GRANDCHILDREN, adult entertaining, and a condo in Seattle. Being we could not afford both, my wife bought the Eagle, the biggest live aboard boat we could afford, which made a great dock condo in Seattle. Actually I think she bought it to keep me busy? :confused: We loved being a live aboard, down town Seattle as 24/7 there was always something going on. For 11 years we live on Lake Union, children/grandchildren came during holidays and summer to stay on the boat. Being fresh water, they played and swam off the stern of the boat. Great fun and memories. There were 5 big yearly boating events, New Years, Opening day of boating, 4th of July, Hydro races, and Christmas cruises.

4 years ago we move to Everett, which was a big live change for us as Everett compared to Seattle is DEAD, being a live aboard for 15 years, being a boating and/or live a board has sort of lost its luster. :ermm: However, being my wife is retired and I hope to retire in 17 months, we are sticking it out with the hopes of being able to move the boat around the PNW in the warmer months and in the winter travel to warmer climates. :socool:

So boating has and still is a means to an end, a live style and not about boating is such. I could care less if we ever leave the dock. If we did not live on the Eagle we would sell it. :hide:

Back
Top Bottom