Chevron Delo 400 lube oil

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dick Geving

Vessel Name
Ebb Tide
Vessel Make
Ocean Alexander 38
Been using Chevron Delo 400 Diesel oil forever. Best price in the Northwest has been at Costco. Costco does not carry Chevron anymore, the have changed to their own "Signature" brand. I hate changing brands as I have never had any issue with Chevron and the engine has used the same oil since new, 1500 hours.. I see Costco is getting their oil from an east coast distributer and they are a very reputable company. Yes I can go somewhere else and buy Chevron but I am also a little frugal. Anyone have any thoughts on this. To change brands or not.

Hi Dick,
I feel your pain. My tranny has had Delo 400 single weight (30 or 40 wt.) since new. Around here, the only place I could find it was at the Chevron offices. Like trying to find "Hen's teeth" or a unicorn.

I may be forced to change, and probably not that big a deal if the specs are the same.

Crappy tire has it. I was intensely annoyed when they stopped putting it in imperial barrels and now in US barrels for the same price.

Every part of a boat dollar spent hurts, even on something as inconsequential as oil but it doesn't hurt nearly so much as a rip-off.

Xs,
Agree totally. I hate it when I KNOW I am being taken advantage of (ripped off).
I don't think that CT carries the single weight oil (Delo) over here on Van. Isle. I will look again though.

My engines typically get Delo 400 or Rotella depending on price. Lately, best price has been Walmart or Amazon.

I am able to get my local auto parts store to order it for me. Their prices are not great obviously. Last time I bought my 4 cases the clerk could not be convinced to ring it up X3 for each case despite my telling him several times that he wasn't charging me correctly, so I got charged for 4 gallons. I consider it my annual bulk buying discount!

I have always been told use the manufactures recommended oil and never change it. The engines sort of get used to whatever you are using. My four years in the Coast Guard as a mechanic supported that also. I know times and lubrication guidelines have changed as we now have synthetic oil, and even multi-vis since I started.

We now buy DELO 400 from Walmart. Good price and if local store doesn't have it we then online order and get delivered to front door.

In the Seattle area I've gotten it at fuel docks servicing commercial boats, Fisheries Supply, Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply, NAPA and O'Rielly auto parts. Dunno how those prices compare to Costco, but it's out there.

If you can order from Amazon, they have it.

You might be correct about single-weight at C.T. I use Delo 15/40. Apologies. I do know for a fact that the Chevron fuel barges (very elusive now, I know) carry it.

Pratt and Whitney Junior engines, found mostly in Beavers, used single-weight 50 oil. You even used single weight non-detergent oil for the first 100 hours after an overhaul to break it in. Some bright spark started using multi-grade synthetic and the result is that the engine is now certified to use same. Less cylinder failures, less rod bearing failures and longer cooler running lifespan. I'm only blathering this because after an overhaul, no worries about changing oil. Our boats are not from the '30's but they are pretty old (like Lehmans) so I don't think changing the oil (type, grade) will really hurt one, but then again, all oil topics are voodoo and religion and rarely based on any real knowledge except anecdote. I just wouldn't lose any sleep about a change.

My engine’s never seen anything but Delo400 30w.

I get mine at NAPA.
You can get Valvoline there too as NAPA branded lube oil. FYI

........all oil topics are voodoo and religion and rarely based on any real knowledge except anecdote. I just wouldn't lose any sleep about a change.
I admit to believing oil voodoo and religion. I try to always run the same brand, weight and spec oil. When forced to change I will do a low hours 2nd change on the new oil and stick with that oil until forced to change oils again. I will only in emergencies mix oils between changes. Voodoo it may be but I've gotten decades and 10s of thousands of hours on old engines with little trouble.

Just changed oil in both Twindisc gears. Delo 400, 40W, in-store at O’Reily’s.

You might be correct about single-weight at C.T. I use Delo 15/40. Apologies. I do know for a fact that the Chevron fuel barges (very elusive now, I know) carry it.

Pratt and Whitney Junior engines, found mostly in Beavers, used single-weight 50 oil. You even used single weight non-detergent oil for the first 100 hours after an overhaul to break it in. Some bright spark started using multi-grade synthetic and the result is that the engine is now certified to use same. Less cylinder failures, less rod bearing failures and longer cooler running lifespan. I'm only blathering this because after an overhaul, no worries about changing oil. Our boats are not from the '30's but they are pretty old (like Lehmans) so I don't think changing the oil (type, grade) will really hurt one, but then again, all oil topics are voodoo and religion and rarely based on any real knowledge except anecdote. I just wouldn't lose any sleep about a change.

Agreed. Changing oils won't hurt as long as the new stuff is appropriate for the needs of the engine. The majority of the engines on this site don't have any super specific oil needs.

I admit to believing oil voodoo and religion. I try to always run the same brand, weight and spec oil. When forced to change I will do a low hours 2nd change on the new oil and stick with that oil until forced to change oils again. I will only in emergencies mix oils between changes. Voodoo it may be but I've gotten decades and 10s of thousands of hours on old engines with little trouble.

I feel the same, never mix brands unless you are in a pinch. Never change brands/weight unless forced. Call it superstitious or voodoo, but it is what it is.

Harbor Marine in Everett Stocks Most Delo weights including straight 40 for us Detroit guys.

I'm surprised that Twin Discs use 40 wt, I was sure it was 30. I'm off to check her out tomorrow so I'll read my plate. Curious.

I'm surprised that Twin Discs use 40 wt, I was sure it was 30. I'm off to check her out tomorrow so I'll read my plate. Curious.
I've got a lot of years and miles with Twin Disc. Some take 30 Wt some take 40 Wt. For some it is temp dependent. Just try to get Delo 100. It has less detergent and won't foam up which can cause excessive wear on the plates in some Twin Disc trannys. Not as easy to find as 400 but worth the effort.

I change oil brand and weight every chance I get. I usually mix them together for a unique cocktail never to be replicated. Right now I'm running a blend of Costco 40W and Walmart 30W with a touch of Brand X 15W, 2 table spoons of STP, and a little squirt of Pam Non-stick spray. It was explained to me by an old diesel mechanic and financial spiritual adviser that a diesel engine should constantly be confused and curious about just what lubrication recipe is next. The engine won't know where to fail. It has worked for my engine (54,000 hours without any repairs, leaks, or smoking).

I wonder if I can start a new internet "truth" about diesel engine lubrication.

When Costco dropped Delo, I asked Blackstone about the Kirkland oil. They indicated no quality issues with Kirkland oil, so I bought enough for the next 2+ years. 8 bucks a gallon, on sale. Yes, 8 bucks a gallon.

I know this is going to throw (cough) oil on this fire but has anyone ever heard of a big marine diesel that failed from the wrong kind of oil? I don't mean low oil or engine overheating because of cooling issues or using Crisco, using 30 wt instead of 40; multi grade instead of single? I haven't and I have not actually researched it but if we're choosing our operations based on gut feelings...?

I actually don't care what lube you put in your engines but I'm curious about your reasoning.

I've got a lot of years and miles with Twin Disc. Some take 30 Wt some take 40 Wt. For some it is temp dependent. Just try to get Delo 100. It has less detergent and won't foam up which can cause excessive wear on the plates in some Twin Disc trannys. Not as easy to find as 400 but worth the effort.

My Detroits call for Delo 100 40 weight, which has been hard to find.

FWIW, I've located it at LFS for $87 for 5gal pails, and NAPA will order it for me, though they charge $105 for 5gal pails.

I actually don't care what lube you put in your engines but I'm curious about your reasoning.
My thoughts as well.
Many here said Chevron Delo 400. So of course I had to check it out. Which Delo 400, 30, 40 or 15-40 there are many. LINK HERE PO used 15-40 so grabbed some at Lordco.

Ford Lehman specs out API CC which is obsolete, cannot find use this one.
Engine oil .jpg
In the end I do not know which oil is the ONE.

I know this is going to throw (cough) oil on this fire but has anyone ever heard of a big marine diesel that failed from the wrong kind of oil? I don't mean low oil or engine overheating because of cooling issues or using Crisco, using 30 wt instead of 40; multi grade instead of single? I haven't and I have not actually researched it but if we're choosing our operations based on gut feelings...?

A bit of insomnia this morning and I read this thread, new, from the beginning. Now, I confess I've been working in the O&G industry for the last 5 years but most relevant to this discussion is a recent project to improve processes to formulate of lubricants.

Turns out that crude oil varies quite a bit - even from the same well, the constituents can be quite different.

Then comes the blending process - additives to meet the various API specifications. Its a lengthy and laborious process, and there are hundreds if not thousands of current blend specifications, some quite specific to the engine manufacturer based on expected usage.

Consider that this is all done at a refinery, and there are a finite number of refineries in existence. All of the major O&G companies buy the additives from the same chemical manufacturers.

In the end, I agree with the inference from Xsbank. As long as the oil is from a reputable source and meets the relevant API specification, it doesn't really make a difference whether it's Rotella or Delo.

For those of us with older engines, oil is soooo much better today than when our engines were manufactured. Here's an interesting YouTube from the Project Farm guy who compares oil from a 70 year old can of Quaker State with a modern motor oil. The old Quaker State oil has no viscosity grade, and no API specs listed - this is back in the day when you had very little visibility into what was in the can thus the voodoo superstition about brands likely began back then. BTW - Project Farm does a lot of cool comparison videos - best grinder blades, Seafoam vs Marvel Mystery Oil, etc.

https://youtu.be/-zHlxeu_yuM

Last edited:
Been using Chevron Delo 400 Diesel oil forever. Best price in the Northwest has been at Costco. Costco does not carry Chevron anymore, the have changed to their own "Signature" brand. I hate changing brands as I have never had any issue with Chevron and the engine has used the same oil since new, 1500 hours.. I see Costco is getting their oil from an east coast distributer and they are a very reputable company. Yes I can go somewhere else and buy Chevron but I am also a little frugal. Anyone have any thoughts on this. To change brands or not.

Interesting review of Costco motor oil, albeit automotive oil. At the end, his opinion is it's a good oil, and comes from same place as SuperTec oil.

"Agreed. Changing oils won't hurt as long as the new stuff is appropriate for the needs of the engine. The majority of the engines on this site don't have any super specific oil needs."

The exception being Detroit Diesel 2 strokes that require CFII rated oil of the correct viscosity.

My Detroits call for Delo 100 40 weight, which has been hard to find.

FWIW, I've located it at LFS for $87 for 5gal pails, and NAPA will order it for me, though they charge $105 for 5gal pails.
Seattle Marine and Fishing Supply has it, but not as cheap as LFS. Call ahead, the Bellingham store doesn't have everything but they get a truck from the Seattle store several times a week.

https://www.seamar.com/products?pSearch=delo

Back
Top Bottom