Hello, sailor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Inbreaker

Veteran Member
Vessel Make
Tollycraft 45
Greetings from Western Australia-
I retired almost a year ago with a plan to spend the northern summers boating in BC. Bought a Tolly 45 in March this year, and managed to get it into a boathouse in Ladysmith, in reasonable order, before I had to skedaddle back here. Long story, but got back just before the shutters came down, wondering whether my timing was perhaps a bit out. Now I am bringing my demonstrated powers of foresight to planning a triumphant return to the Northern hemisphere, just as soon as the current madness at least slows down a bit.
I have been gratefully absorbing a lot of of helpful technical advice on this site for a time now. Now at least I can say thank you, and take a more active part here.
Cheers.

Welcome to another from Downunder. Hope you don't have to wait too long to get to grips with your Tolly, but it might be some time yet, sadly.

By the way, thinking Perth, WA, then Fremantle, and the Americas Cup came to mind, reminding me to remind those interested that the 36th A/C, in Auckland NZ, is quickly approaching. They have already held a pre-A/C regatta or series which Team NZ won. It was a four team event including the defender NZ, and the three challengers, which are Italy, UK, US. These foiling monohulls are awesome..! Even now, if you have a streaming service, it is probably possible to replay those races. Certainly entertaining.

Overall program from now here...
https://www.aucklandnz.com/36th-americas-cup

Welcome to another from Downunder. Hope you don't have to wait too long to get to grips with your Tolly, but it might be some time yet, sadly.

By the way, thinking Perth, WA, then Fremantle, and the Americas Cup came to mind, reminding me to remind those interested that the 36th A/C, in Auckland NZ, is quickly approaching. They have already held a pre-A/C regatta or series which Team NZ won. It was a four team event including the defender NZ, and the three challengers, which are Italy, UK, US. These foiling monohulls are awesome..! Even now, if you have a streaming service, it is probably possible to replay those races. Certainly entertaining.

Overall program from now here...
https://www.aucklandnz.com/36th-americas-cup

Peter
Thanks for the reminder on the AC racing. Spme pretty fantastic sailing happening there, foiling monohulls!

We had the privilege of walking the Auckland waterfront last Feb, when the new AC75 was still under wraps. We did get to see the 1/2 scale training boat at the dock and bought the T shirt at the AC store.
Be great to see Emirates Team NZ hang onto the cup again!

Wow! That plan didn't work well, yet.
I'm just down the road a bit. If you need the boat checked on, I can do that. Send me a private message and we can discuss. Not soliciting a job. If you want it checked on I can.

Thanks very much, and merry Australian Xmas.

There might be some hope but realize I am purely speculating. Canada has introduced a requirement to Covid test, receive a negative, then you can fly. This has only happened in the past week. I suspect if this program is successful that restrictions on entering Canada via aircraft could be lifted.

Why they didn't do this months ago is a mystery. I follow "Gone with the Wynns," a cruising couple on a catamaran. They left their boat in Tonga, went back to the states for a family visit, was flying back to Tonga but when they landed in Fiji, the pandemic hit and they couldn't re-enter Tonga from Fiji and were stranded there for months. They finally got back to their boat when Tonga introduced Covid testing as a requirement to enter the country via airlines.

Inbreaker,
Welcome to the forum and to Vancouver Island boating! We live just 30 minutes north of where you moor. Tolly's are nice boats, so good choice.
Hopefully Canada will come up with a workable method to allow people in with appropriate "safety" measures. At least Australia is one of the countries that has done a good job of containing this so far, so the risk should be lower than for many others.
My guess is that we will not be back to "normal" until next fall. So far vaccination rates are not overly imprressive, especially here in Canada.
Good luck,

Thanks very much.
It will be a bit of a return for me. I grew up in the fishing industry on the BC coast.

The problem has not so much been Canada letting me in. The problem is Australia letting me out, and then letting me back in. That is a large part of why Australia has done so relatively well. Not just by holding me back you understand...

One observation- Air Canada is showing a resumption of direct flights from Sydney and Brisbane to Vancouver, commencing late March.
Roll on the vaccine. If I could get up there for late summer or fall, I'd count that as a big win.
Inbreaker,
Welcome to the forum and to Vancouver Island boating! We live just 30 minutes north of where you moor. Tolly's are nice boats, so good choice.
Hopefully Canada will come up with a workable method to allow people in with appropriate "safety" measures. At least Australia is one of the countries that has done a good job of containing this so far, so the risk should be lower than for many others.
My guess is that we will not be back to "normal" until next fall. So far vaccination rates are not overly imprressive, especially here in Canada.
Good luck,

Welcome Inbreaker! - from another ex-BC guy now residing in Adelaide.
I'm jealous of your plans; I'd love to do the same one day, but right now one boat is enough.
Keep us informed on how it all works out.

Auscan-
Here's the thing- a boat here, a boat there- endless summer!
Barring any hiccups like global pandmic of course.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom