Old 12-24-2020, 09:31 AM   #278
rslifkin
Guru

City: Rochester, NY
Vessel Name: Hour Glass
Vessel Model: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDan1943 View Post
I have a 16k and a 12k A/C. There is no amp meter on the 2nd leg so I do not know how much room I have left.

When on the 6KW generator, I still think I will have to do the "30amp" dance.
Load shedding has become a way of life for me.
LOL

If each leg of the panel is breakered at 30 amps, then yes, you're still limited to 30A per leg. If the panel isn't breakered at 30A and only the inlets are, then as long as the generator has a single 120V output fed in parallel to the 2 legs (rather than a 120/240 split phase output), you could use 50A total distributed however you want, provided the panel wiring can handle 50A on one leg.

My 16k A/C in the salon uses about 14 amps in cool mode with the pump included. Heat uses a bit more. A 12k will use less. So with an induction microwave on the A/C circuit you could run the smaller A/C and the microwave at the same time. Depending on how much the microwave draws, you might be able to use it and the big A/C.

If you really wanted to get fancy, install a selector switch for the microwave circuit so it can run from either leg as needed. Then if it's really hot out, you run it on leg 1 and load manage there but keep both A/Cs running. If it's not so hot, you can flip it to leg 2 with less or no A/C and use the microwave and stove at the same time with minimal or no power management concerns.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote