Change electric stove, install gas stove

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Post the link or it didn't happen.

Remember, you claim no sun , not once but twice now, so obviously it used genset
Specs say they carry enough fuel to generate 300 miles approx, far from enough to cross the Atlantic

Arent you one of the guys that said these boats didn't even exist?

Am I?
You're telling the story
Post a link.

Guess you mightvhavecbeen one of those. Lets wait to see if anybody bothers to look it up, not only that theyvexist, but that a Silent yacht has crossed the Atlantic, from Spain to Florida. ITMT, I wont bother wasting anymore time on frivolous guys. But......if you ever find out the dimensions of a 110 litium battery pack, as discussed above, then DO get back to me.

Sooooooo, getting back to the subject. Does anyone use and or have an opinion on a convection/microwave oven on your boat?

This is getting humorous. A troll makes a wild ass claim, then gets pissed when someone won't find the link for him. And gets accusatory when he asks a crazy question on a specification (battery size) on a boat he's hyping.

Keep going David. You're on a roll.

Just curious, how do you make your living? These are some pretty outlandish claims your making.

Hey.....wait a minute, you don't happen to be suddenly "retired" come January 21st, are you?

So how exactly does this thing cross an ocean? It has 210 kwh of battery capacity but has 2x 250kw electric motors meaning it could suck the batteries dry in under a half hour at its top speed of 17 kts

It has 30 solar panels, or around 10kw of potential on a good day, or around 50 kwh for each day on average. So on any given day, it will replenish 25% of its batteries.

These numbers just don't add up. This puppy is a harbor queen. Dang nice one, but a harbor queen.

Peter

Screenshot_20201223-192445.jpeg

If you can only get a through water speed (not actual ground speed) of 100 miles per day, on average, how many storms per crossing do you get hammered by because you can't get out of the way?

Ted

If you can only get a through water speed (not actual ground speed) of 100 miles per day, on average, how many storms per crossing do you get hammered by because you can't get out of the way?

Ted
I thought of that too. If you watch the video I posted, the announcer guy expressed quiet skepticism on the range during the last 60 seconds. About halfway through the review, they show the gauges and energy consumption at 7 kts. The numbers simply do not add up.

Only good news is if you tried to cross an ocean, you'd probably run out of battery before you were outside Vessel Assist range.

So how exactly does this thing cross an ocean? It has 210 kwh of battery capacity but has 2x 250kw electric motors meaning it could suck the batteries dry in under a half hour at its top speed of 17 kts

It has 30 solar panels, or around 10kw of potential on a good day, or around 50 kwh for each day on average. So on any given day, it will replenish 25% of its batteries.

These numbers just don't add up. This puppy is a harbor queen. Dang nice one, but a harbor queen.

Peter

View attachment 111794

Boats use less energy when travelling at slower speeds. Are you one of those who said electric boats didnt exist?

Who said electric boats don't exist? Codger, one of our beloved TF members recently sold his beautiful OA 42 and replaced it with a Duffy electric boat and he loves it. He posted a recent picture of himself at the helm - his ears were pinned back he was smiling so hard.

You sure pick a lot of fights. Do you have a close family member like a wife you can bring to the forum? If like to ask a few questions.

Who said electric boats don't exist? Codger, one of our beloved TF members recently sold his beautiful OA 42 and replaced it with a Duffy electric boat and he loves it. He posted a recent picture of himself at the helm - his ears were pinned back he was smiling so hard.

You sure pick a lot of fights. Do you have a close family member like a wife you can bring to the forum? If like to ask a few questions.

See my message about not bothering with frivolous messages anymore. But glad you axknowledge electric/hybrid boats exist. In fact you have also seen that study from Bremen U in Germany about them.

Having just finished reading this thread, one of the points that seems to appear over and over is how you have to make compromises with electric on <50' boats. On a friend's 42 Krogen, 3 pots on the propane cooktop and a leg of lamb in the oven wasn't a big deal. With most electric it's maybe 2 pots on the cooktop OR the oven in use.

If hybrid boats are the answer for long distance cruising, why do you have to travel at the speed of a SLOW sailboat if your hull is a fast catamaran?

Ted

Having just finished reading this thread, one of the points that seems to appear over and over is how you have to make compromises with electric on <50' boats. On a friend's 42 Krogen, 3 pots on the propane cooktop and a leg of lamb in the oven wasn't a big deal. With most electric it's maybe 2 pots on the cooktop OR the oven in use.

If hybrid boats are the answer for long distance cruising, why do you have to travel at the speed of a SLOW sailboat if your hull is a fast catamaran?

Ted

I dont remember anybody saying hybrid boats are 'the answer', to long distance cruising. But I made the bold and controversial comment that a 110 KwH litium battery pack can fit into a 55 foot boat. Some denied it, I proved such boats already exist, some denied that too.

Ted

Finally, a valid reason for a propane stove top and oven. Thank you.

See my message about not bothering with frivolous messages anymore. But glad you axknowledge electric/hybrid boats exist. In fact you have also seen that study from Bremen U in Germany about them.
The only acknowledge two things. First, electric powered powerboats of liveaboard size are impractical except for novelty use. Second, you're an odd duck. Bless your heart!

I urge you to buy one of these long range electric boats and cross an ocean. I swear, I'll take back every word of you make it.

I dont remember anybody saying hybrid boats are 'the answer', to long distance cruising. But I made the bold and controversial comment that a 110 KwH litium battery pack can fit into a 55 foot boat. Some denied it, I proved such boats already exist, some denied that too.

"bold and controversial?" How about "obnoxious and ill-informed?"

Seriously, no one said anything of the sort. Are sure you're not suddenly unemployed January 21sf and just plunking this thread?

The only acknowledge two things. First, electric powered powerboats of liveaboard size are impractical except for novelty use. Second, you're an odd duck. Bless your heart!

I urge you to buy one of these long range electric boats and cross an ocean. I swear, I'll take back every word of you make it.

^^^^"odd duck", by a guy who made false statements about me above, and when challenged, couldn't show what you claimed I said.

Yes, unless you've got a pretty robust electrical system, an electric galley can be limiting. On any boat with less than a 6kw genset and not at least 2x 30A inlets (preferably a 50A 125/250), cooking as you describe would be somewhere between a challenge and impossible. Generally the point of adequate power availability happens anywhere in the 35 - 50 foot range, depending on the boat.

This is one of the reasons I say gas vs electric galley depends somewhat on your cooking style, as that determines just how much electrical infrastructure you need. And also why electric galleys make sense on some boats, but not others (as some already have the infrastructure to support it without much change, while others would require more work to support electric cooking).

Using my boat as an example, the stove has 3x 1100w burners, so 3300w if all 3 are on at the same time (they're coils, so they cycle rather than running at reduced power when turned down). Swap my microwave for a convection oven combo unit. The most likely unit I'm considering swapping in draws 1650 watts in oven mode.

So rounding up slightly, we're drawing 5kw to run all 3 burners and the oven. My 6.5kw genset will keep up with enough headroom to run the battery charger, some lights, etc. But you'd want to turn off the water heater. On shore power, it would be a non-issue, as the stove and microwave/oven are on separate legs. So out of 6kw available on each 50A leg, you're drawing 3.3kw on leg one (leaves enough for battery charger, water heater, and some headroom). And we're drawing 1.7kw on leg 2, leaving enough to run 2 of the 3 A/C units with some headroom.

But my boat was built with an electric galley in mind, so it's got a bit more power on board than some its size. Even at 38 feet, it's got two 50A 125V legs on the panel.

Last edited:
^^^^"odd duck", by a guy who made false statements about me above, and when challenged, couldn't show what you claimed I said.
For a guy who refuses to provide citations, you're a bit touchy about when someone doesn't respond to you.

Go do your homework. Everything I said about you is absolutely true. Prove me wrong.

If anyone on this thread thinks I've told a falsehood about David Ess or otherwise mis-characterized him, please speak up. I'll admit I've used some salty references and backhand compliments, but if any have not had the ring of truth based on his responses, please speak up now.

Thank you.

rslifkin.......I dont question your figures but wonder if anyone on your boat has ever used 3X 1100 watt burners at the same time. In my life I dont think ive ever seen that done in a house kitchen. Then...if the stove was induction....how much less power?

For a guy who refuses to provide citations, you're a bit touchy about when someone doesn't respond to you.

Go do your homework. Everything I said about you is absolutely true. Prove me wrong.

You lied, and couldnt back it up when challenged, and show no shame about it. Also when i provided citations above, some of you guys said the companies were lying. In any case , no use my bothering with frivolous trolling messages. Go lie about somebody else. I wont waste anymore time on you.

Is the boat a prototype, 2 or 3 units built, or an actual production model with a boat builder producing them?

In case this is unfamiliar to you, a man named Howard Hughes had his company (Hughes Aicraft Company) build a wood seaplane with 8 engines with the intent to sell them to the war department for transatlantic transports during WWII. While the prototype did fly once, it was never put into production.

The point is that the boat you're describing is feasible as a prototype. Whether it's anything more than that is usually measured by it going into production by a boat builder as opposed to custom fabrication.

Ted

Last edited:
rslifkin.......I dont question your figures but wonder if anyone on your boat has ever used 3X 1100 watt burners at the same time. In my life I dont think ive ever seen that done in a house kitchen. Then...if the stove was induction....how much less power?
David - on the older princess electric ranges, you could run either the Hobbs, or you could run the oven. Not both at same time. I read OC Divers post as a reminder. I lived aboard a 1975 Uniflite 42 ACMY for a few years. I had forgotten about that "feature" until Ted mentioned it.

Dang inconvenient. It was a 2x30A boat and we were constantly doing the 30-Amp two-step as OldDan calls it.

Plus it was a lousy stove. Would have swapped for propane in a NY minute.

Guess you mightvhavecbeen one of those. Lets wait to see if anybody bothers to look it up, not only that theyvexist, but that a Silent yacht has crossed the Atlantic, from Spain to Florida. ITMT, I wont bother wasting anymore time on frivolous guys. But......if you ever find out the dimensions of a 110 litium battery pack, as discussed above, then DO get back to me.

So you have nothing - thought as much

And I did post links to 20kwh battery banks with weight, prices and dimensions but clearly you are not smart enough to think that x 5 is going to get you pretty close to your 110.
Let's not forget you also claimed that you'd be going for double that size.

you lied, and couldnt back it up when challenged, and show no shame about it. Also when i provided citations above, some of you guys said the companies were lying. In any case , no use my bothering with frivolous trolling messages. Go lie about somebody else. I wont waste anymore time on you.
thank you jesus! It's a miracle !

Yes, unless you've got a pretty robust electrical system, an electric galley can be limiting. On any boat with less than a 6kw genset and not at least 2x 30A inlets (preferably a 50A 125/250), cooking as you describe would be somewhere between a challenge and impossible. Generally the point of adequate power availability happens anywhere in the 35 - 50 foot range, depending on the boat.

This is one of the reasons I say gas vs electric galley depends somewhat on your cooking style, as that determines just how much electrical infrastructure you need. And also why electric galleys make sense on some boats, but not others (as some already have the infrastructure to support it without much change, while others would require more work to support electric cooking).

Using my boat as an example, the stove has 3x 1100w burners, so 3300w if all 3 are on at the same time (they're coils, so they cycle rather than running at reduced power when turned down). Swap my microwave for a convection oven combo unit. The most likely unit I'm considering swapping in draws 1650 watts in oven mode.

So rounding up slightly, we're drawing 5kw to run all 3 burners and the oven. My 6.5kw genset will keep up with enough headroom to run the battery charger, some lights, etc. But you'd want to turn off the water heater. On shore power, it would be a non-issue, as the stove and microwave/oven are on separate legs. So out of 6kw available on each 50A leg, you're drawing 3.3kw on leg one (leaves enough for battery charger, water heater, and some headroom). And we're drawing 1.7kw on leg 2, leaving enough to run 2 of the 3 A/C units with some headroom.

But my boat was built with an electric galley in mind, so it's got a bit more power on board than some its size. Even at 38 feet, it's got two 50A 125V legs on the panel.

My boat was purpose built with an electric oven and cooktop. You can use one or the other off the 8KW generator (limitation of the stove manufacturer), provided you don't want to run the air conditioning. Unless you have an oversized generator, an all electric boat requires load shedding. One of the nice features about propane is that there isn't any load shedding required.

Ted

I've never used more than 2 burners at a time on the boat, although I have at home. On the boat, it's partly due to cooking simpler meals, and partly because unless you're using fairly small pots, it's hard to actually make good use of all 3 burners on the boat stove.

An induction stove would use less power over time than mine (due to higher efficiency and better control), making it easier to power from batteries. But maximum peak power while heating things up or boiling water wouldn't be any less. In terms of size of inverter, generator, or shore power hookup needed, there's no real difference. As an example, one of the only 120v 3 burner induction cooktops I can find (from TrueInduction) draws 3300 watts max, same as my stove. Only difference is how the power is controlled and distributed per burner.

Back
Top Bottom