Any trashy Trawlers out there?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That Cathlamet Sternwheeler could be a great $ 5,000.00 boat if someone put a half a million in it!

$5000? offer $2,000 but only if you are very serious.

It might take you a month+ to get rid of all the crap inside the boat and put thing right.

We are not sure, the boat is actually floating. Could be resting on the bottom.
We know the engine(s) need massive amounts of attention. Without an out of the water survey, we have no idea how much hull work it needed.

I'm very happy with my old trawler. Not a new "sexy" design but tough as nails, ex commercial equipment that will out live me and does everything I want to do and more.

My only warning for those not looking at a common production boat is ensure your purchase can be insured. Many odd selections can tick so many uninsurable boxes to make this process difficult:

> 30 years old;
"Custom" design;
Ex commercial use;
DIY fitout?

Insurers like familiarity. ?

I've learned a lot from buying my last two major boats as "fixer uppers."

First, I became confident in my own skills as I learned more and more out of necessity. Second, I became more comfortable with "good enough" (with an emphasis on safety and reliability) as opposed to wanting everything to be perfect.

Sure, you spend money. ALL boats require this, but a thrifty person can learn how get out into the same anchorages as the guys who pay yacht club prices for their boats and their maintenance. The new handrails on my boat are galvanized pipe painted black. Quite un-yachtie, but...she's a retired fishing boat! It all works, it's solid, I could easily do it myself, and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. I'm going to enjoy doing some fancywork on them with half hitching and cockscombing as we enjoy a quiet anchorage next summer.

Even the guys on the wooden boat forums, formerly bastions of traditionalism, will admit that you really don't need to break open the piggy bank for exotic hardwoods and marine ply. Why, they're even getting comfortable with PLASTIC framing that will never rot! And with using sealants from the big box store rather than the chandlery!

I got a great deal on ballast lead at a sailboat recycling yard, on surplus rope from a guy who used to own a marine supply place, on aluminum stock for my mast from a local metal recycler.

Along the way I learned...self-taught thanks to YouTube and other sources...how to weld stainless and aluminum, how to wire a generic transducer, how to repack a stuffing box while in the water, how to replace seals in a hydraulic steering system, how to make an Arduino anemometer, how to get GPS and AIS data on my laptop, and lots of other fun and useful skills. It's been frustrating and dirty and painful, and rewarding and satisfying and confidence-building.

It's not for everyone, but there are plenty of ways of getting out on the water that don't involve prohibitive expense.

You guys are the best. This is the exact information and tips I was looking for to put my mind at ease and just enjoy my future journey. What ever I end up owning will be a combination of lots of labor and lots of enjoyment.

$5000? offer $2,000 but only if you are very serious.

It might take you a month+ to get rid of all the crap inside the boat and put thing right.

We are not sure, the boat is actually floating. Could be resting on the bottom.
We know the engine(s) need massive amounts of attention. Without an out of the water survey, we have no idea how much hull work it needed.

I drove past this gem last weekend. It looks better in the pictures.

Youre discounting your time and labor, many wouldnt do that. There is also the 'opportunity cost' for many people. With that same time and labor they might easily have earned way more than the money you figure you saved.

Let's see....work more overtime...or head to the Marina to "work" on the trawler...��. I get excited every time I free up enough time to head down there. Can't escape work fast enough. If I didn't have the trawler I'd be tinkering in my workshop on some other BS. Might as well be a trawler. ��

The secret to wood boats is staying ahead of the maintenance, not behind. Once you get behind it get expensive.
I liveaboard and cruise a 1942 Wheeler, wood.

The secret to wood boats is staying ahead of the maintenance, not behind. Once you get behind it get expensive.
I liveaboard and cruise a 1942 Wheeler, wood.

When young on New England waters I was always enamored of Wheelers. Still am!! Could you post a photo? For years on TF I've been looking forward to see yours. Forgive me if I missed an already posted picture.

Happy Holidays!!

Art

No doubt there are better ways to make money. I don't do the work on my boat to save money. I actually enjoy it. The engine dealer offered to replace my damper plate under warranty. I declined the offer for labor and installed it myself.

Doing my own repairs and upgrades allows me to know the boat intimately. If there are any problems at sea, troubleshooting is much easier when you've crawled over and under every inch of the boat.

Yes, this way when something breaks, you instantly recognize the nuanced sound/rattle/shimy or shake. Instead of laying in bed all night wondering if you might have a problem, you can just go to bed n the knowledge that getting a good nights rest is the ONLY thing to do as not only is the damn thing broke, but you already had it somewhere on the list to order new gaskets and a rebuild kit which are definitely not onboard without even looking.

No doubt there are better ways to make money. I don't do the work on my boat to save money. I actually enjoy it. The engine dealer offered to replace my damper plate under warranty. I declined the offer for labor and installed it myself.

Doing my own repairs and upgrades allows me to know the boat intimately. If there are any problems at sea, troubleshooting is much easier when you've crawled over and under every inch of the boat.

This is me as well. Most of the time I enjoy working on my boat, which for me includes keeping it looking nice. I do almost everything myself, but occasionally call in a pro. Sometimes I do a better job than the pros would do, sometimes I don't.

Either way I learn something every time I do the job and I feel a lot more comfortable on our boat in remote places than I would if I paid someone to do everything because of all the labor I've poured into it. I guess others would say that having the boat "professionally maintained" makes it more reliable, and that's valid too.

This is me as well. Most of the time I enjoy working on my boat, which for me includes keeping it looking nice. I do almost everything myself, but occasionally call in a pro. Sometimes I do a better job than the pros would do, sometimes I don't.

Either way I learn something every time I do the job and I feel a lot more comfortable on our boat in remote places than I would if I paid someone to do everything because of all the labor I've poured into it. I guess others would say that having the boat "professionally maintained" makes it more reliable, and that's valid too.

I agree. In addition, I keep finding that getting someone out for a small one-off job is such a massive PITA that it's faster to just do it myself. Nobody wants to come do a one or two-hour job; I find it takes multiple calls, endless re-schedules, etc. Most good boat guys here in San Diego seem to have enough business from people spending big $$ that it's just not worth their time.

Typical response to my call: "I'm booked for the next three weeks. Call me then." Or, "I'll try to come out sometime next week once I'm finished with this job." This almost never results in any work being done.

One nice thing about having a semi-trashy trawler is that if you screw something up you aren't immediately going to hell.

If you have skills similar to sbman then I am all for picking up a trashy trawler and making her a labor of love. In the end sbman will have a like new boat for half the cost of new. He will have spent more than if he picked up a nice newer boat but even a nice newer boat will need maintenance. Were sbman will excell is in knowing his boat. He will always know exactly what it takes do deal with any issues. The only real risk I see for sbman is the risk of losing his health before he gets a chance to use his boat. This is the problem in life. There is no one answer that fits all.

There's a risk for loss of health for anyone at any point, we are never guaranteed tomorrow.

I don't see the refit as not using the boat. I'm not boating, but I'm definitely using the boat. I enjoy the refit process and I enjoy the accomplishment and learning that it brings. Instead of spending my leisure time with some form of entertainment, I enjoy the process of refitting. If I didn't enjoy it, I would have saved up money and bought a boat that was ready to use. Not that I enjoy every moment of it, some of it is hard work, but the net result is something I'm happy with.

I've always had a project, whether it was a major home remodel or rebuilding engines in cars/trucks/airplanes, or restoring a motorcycle, the boat is no different, when it is ready I'll go boating.

Regarding working on your own boat, of course that has to be good, from several angles already mentioned. But originally the thread was about fixer upers, as opposed to boats in great shape. For some, worth it , for others not, especially for guys with less skills , but more money. What about this scenario: some guys have the money to buy a brand new boat, but have few skills. Lets say theyre old, and its a bucket list thing to spend say 10 years roaming around the world. So considering the boat is brand new, how much work do you really think will be needed to be done? I done think too much, especially not major stuff.

Sure there is the entire spectrum...

But fixer uppers don't always cost a lot or take a lot of work...depends what level you choose to restore them to if at all other than a wash and get them running.

The OP asked "So I guess what i'm trying to say is there any Trawlers out there that look like crap but have good internals?"....the answer I see as usual is ...."maybe" or "it depends"..... it's not "it's a bad idea".

The OP asked "So I guess what i'm trying to say is there any Trawlers out there that look like crap but have good internals?"....the answer I see as usual is ...."maybe" or "it depends"..... it's not "it's a bad idea".

I think I'd weigh in on the side of "it's a bad idea". I do think that the more people use their boats the more likely the "internals" are good, so you can find marina queens that have been washed every week and sparkle but every single piece of rubber is stiff and cracking. Our boat is "worn" - the interior varnish needs to be redone, there are lots of screw holes everywhere... but if you go down to the engine room the hoses are all new, wiring is (now) recent and safe.

But I don't think our boat "looks like crap". If it really looks like crap, I think you're almost guaranteed an endless list of more serious problems.

I think I'd weigh in on the side of "it's a bad idea". I do think that the more people use their boats the more likely the "internals" are good, so you can find marina queens that have been washed every week and sparkle but every single piece of rubber is stiff and cracking. Our boat is "worn" - the interior varnish needs to be redone, there are lots of screw holes everywhere... but if you go down to the engine room the hoses are all new, wiring is (now) recent and safe.

But I don't think our boat "looks like crap". If it really looks like crap, I think you're almost guaranteed an endless list of more serious problems.

That still doesn't mean it's a bad idea to buy, repair and use.

As you say a chunk is what some of us here own...probably got into trawlers with a fixer-uper.

There are some that are past anything but running into the ground...but other really poor ones may be fine for making clean and serviceable for local cruising.

Some here may not buy some boats of owners here because of their condition....yet have been cruised quite a bit..... different strokes.....

That still doesn't mean it's a bad idea to buy, repair and use.

For sure. But it's really important to know what you're getting into - a survey won't save you.

I think we've all seen where dreams go do die: an "inexpensive" boat that is sold as "rough around the edges but has good bones" to a new owner who doesn't understand what they're getting into and doesn't have the experience or budget to turn it around.

As someone new to trawlers myself who has gone through this, I'd advise against buying something that "looks like crap" unless you have someone you really trust on your side to walk you through all the problem areas. A standard survey just isn't good enough. I hired a very highly recommended surveyor, and I've found many many projects that, if I had to hire them out, would be prohibitive.

One friend recommended hiring an experienced delivery skipper and paying them for a day to go through the boat and point out everything they'd need fixed before making a passage. Sounded like a good idea.

For sure. But it's really important to know what you're getting into - a survey won't save you.

I think we've all seen where dreams go do die: an "inexpensive" boat that is sold as "rough around the edges but has good bones" to a new owner who doesn't understand what they're getting into and doesn't have the experience or budget to turn it around.

As someone new to trawlers myself who has gone through this, I'd advise against buying something that "looks like crap" unless you have someone you really trust on your side to walk you through all the problem areas. A standard survey just isn't good enough. I hired a very highly recommended surveyor, and I've found many many projects that, if I had to hire them out, would be prohibitive.

One friend recommended hiring an experienced delivery skipper and paying them for a day to go through the boat and point out everything they'd need fixed before making a passage. Sounded like a good idea.

What you are pointing out is exactly what PSN means when he says "it depends".
What "it depends" on is the individual buying the "trashy" boat. If she (or he) can identify the parts that are in fact "trashy" as being within her/his comfort zone, then it should be a go.
In your case, clearly the cosmetics are within your comfort zone and the mechanicals are not, so those mechanicals can't be let go to the "trashy" end of the spectrum.
This has nothing to do with your DIY abilities, as you likely DIY both the "trashy" looking bits and the mechanicals, you just do the mechanicals sooner.

To the OP -

Sorry, just saw this and didn't read through all four pages. But what I will say is when we bought our boat it was essentially what you are looking for. She needed cosmetic work and some leaking teak decks addressed, but the "bones" (both mechanical systems and overall build quality) were very good.

In fact, we took possession and moved aboard over the course of three days, then took off for a four-month cruise.

Over 4,000 miles and eight and a half years later we are still working on the cosmetics! 90% of the leaks have been stopped, and we just completed an interior makeover in the main salon. After we had the hull painted we joke that she went from a 50-foot paint job to a 25-foot paint job... But a Cheoy Lee is a a Cheoy Lee. She may look a little ragged compared to nicer "yachts", however she's constantly being used. We're off the dock a minimum of 40 minutes twice a month all winter long just to pump out.

So, yes. What you're looking for can be found. As I'm sure many have already said, just be diligent in your survey and honest in your assessment of what you can or cannot do yourself. As for us, we still very happy we bought our "slightly-less-than-a-project" boat. And boy oh boy, I have sure learned A LOT!

Fantastic replies and thoughts every one. I can't wait to dig myself a little hole:)

To add one more thing. Evaluate what you have done in the past. When I was heavily into building street drag cars there were many "dreamers". I called them the DNF crowd as in "did not finish". I would say for every 10 people I saw begin a project about 1.5 finished. And I mean FINISHED their project and saw it through to fruition. If you generally have gotten bored with past projects only to dump them to someone else then a large boat is probably one of the most painful things to not finish. You must finish what you started. Even if you find a surprise that cost you an extra $2k or $5k or maybe even more, you will most of the time be better off if you push through towards completion. Granted there are times when abandoning a project is very wise. But you could spend thousands or 10s of thousands and hundreds of man hours on a project that will sting much much worse if you end up selling a barely sea worthy vessel and boxes of parts at a drastic discount. Where as if you end up with a finished project you care capable of using and enjoying ..that can smooth out quite a bit of the bumpy road you may have just traversed. Especially if you get to use that vessel over a relatively long period. In other words one of the qualities necessary in this type of endeavor is persistence. Nose to the grind stone persistence.

Heard it said” there are people who like building/rebuilding boats and those who like to use them”. Have friends who have spent years bringing boats back to Bristol fashion then lose interest or sell their masterpiece and do it again. Others are credit card captains but most learn early on to be safe and feel independent enough to cruise you better understand your systems and boat. You learn best by doing. So even if you pay for jobs you just don’t want to do (bottom work) or can’t (electronics diagnostics) the more you learn about it the better off you are.
I repurposed a OSTAR race boat into a cruiser and brought back a classic left in a shed unused for years. In both cases with sweat equity made money when they were sold. Yes could have made more money at my day job but working on the boat helps keep your head on straight so you can do your day job. “Messing around in boats “ is good for you. Still you have to decide. Do you want to use it or work on it. What’s your prime goal. If it’s use it then buy a good boat. Even then enough stuff breaks you’ll be working on it. If it’s work on it get a classic or cult boat. Working on a ugly boat makes no sense. Bringing a classic back is artistry and so satisfying to you and all who gaze upon her.

Last edited:
"Nother" tip re purchasing used boat - no matter what its condition is...

After you have yourself and have also had experts [e.g good surveyor and good mechanic - or close friend that really knows boats] check the boat you are looking at:

Carefully list all the repair needs and put a "cost" for repairs next to it.

Then you can best tell if you feel the "xtra" money and self-applied time needed past purchase makes it worth buying the boat. And, you then have a comprehensive list of needs and costs to show the owner why you are holding tight to your reduced cash offer for payment on the boat.

Luck comes in two ways 1. By being plumb lucky... and... 2. By being plumb smart!!

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!!

All boats require significant upkeep. Even, or especially new boats. After awhile there is a period where you live off the systems that have stabilized, and that is nice, but even then it is a brief period. I’ve owned my current boat for 15 years, many systems I’m starting my third cycle of front to back overhaul now. There is very little I have not gone through at least once. My boat is 40 years old, but it has been fairly consistently maintained since new. I think the idea of ten years of low maintenance is a bit optimistic. I find most cycles are about half that, some go ten, but you never know which will and which won’t. Some plan on hiring work, but that’s not really a good plan for those planning long passages. My brain is hardwired for being self sufficient and I look at hired work as a pure luxury (and often in reality a frustration). I can’t imagine heading into a remote area without being fully prepared or with the intention that if anything goes wrong you just call someone.

Knock on wood. I’ve never had to call a tow. Absolute pure luck in a couple instances, but then I’ve sawed my fair share of lines out of the prop. Changed props, shafts in the water. Have flown out parts by seaplane a couple times. I’ve rescued quite a few others who had the notion of just calling someone, some just needed to know how to bleed a diesel, any diesel. Some didn’t understand what/why they had battery switches. Anyway, I guess if you form all your opinions from frequently helping the helpless, you get more than a bit cynical. That’s mostly bad and certainly distorted. But deep down, when I see newb boaters with beautiful big boats, having a hard time docking or anchoring with a huge attitude, talking about having taken all the classes and just having a hard time seeing the easy truths... Yeah, it’s a bit of a over generalization, and yet I’m so so often disappointed that every time I try to keep an open mind, it just turns out the same way, badly. Dreamers go big, have unrealistic expectations and within a year or season 2 get enough confidence, wind up scaring themselves silly, or just having such a bad time that they sell the boat. I think a lot of them would have made it if they simply adjusted the grey matter between their ears and not insisted that the world/nature play by their own self determined rules. Just seems too common of an outcome. I think everyone needs to try to do as much as they can, even if you don’t wind up doing it yourself, you still need to understand how things really work. It’s the ones that refuse to even try that wind up doing stupid stuff and lead to their own unhappiness. It’s ultimately not about how much you know. Everybody starts needing to learn, and frankly that never ends. It’s about being able and willing to learn and being willing to judge your own capability. The ones with the big expensive boats that know nothing are the absolute worst of the worst. Entitled and ignorant doesn’t work out well when trying negotiate your way with Mother Nature who doesn’t give a crud that you have a lifelong skill of bs’ing everyone else.

Actually, I think Mother Nature is a huge part of what I personally like about boating. Reminds us all of just how insignificant we are and how much everything else just doesn’t matter at all. Not everybody needs to enjoy that but if you are selling everything, spending big money and likely have a problem with that, it’s probably not going to work out.

Ghost.....So your boat was already 25 years old when you bought it right? What if a guy buys a new boat , and only intends using it for 10? Not nearly so much maintenance as a 25 year old one.

Read the thread about marine stuff not lasting long.

Buy a 30 year old boat and maybe you fix systems more, but I wash and wax it less.

Why work on or own an ugly boat? To live on, cruise and enjoy while making it acceptable...not Bristol.

So many narrow view opinions these days.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom