New owner of a 73 Uniflite Salty Dog 28

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhoda Mae

not sure if in the right forum, but I was lead here,lol. Anyway, new owner of a 73 28 ft, Uniflite Salty Dog,
bringing it back to life, and this is the pre blister series, I heard that after 75 they were prone to blisters, as they had to change the fire retardant chemical they were using,
anybody out there have any info for me,
Im working on engines at the moment, they are Chrysler 318 ,,, not sure if thats good or bad, but it is what it is,,,
also would like to post a picture from my computer,, ?? any advice, ? I dont see an icon for that, its asking for a ural?

Made in Bellingham Wa, was a popular model in the PNW with twin V8 gas power until petrol prices made them spendy to operate. Great fish boats, with a big cockpit area. Built tough, not fancy. Also made a 23' version, the Salty Pup with single gas inboard power. Classic boats.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard. The 318s are a very good engine. Had them in a Trojan F32 that I used to own.

We are in a Uniflite 37 Coastal Cruiser. Seattle area. Check out the Uniflite sites on Facebook.

In a 28' boat there is no better fishing boat IMHO having fished from one in Ucluelet, BC on a couple occasions. Smooth riding hull and enough comforts to satisfy any fisherman. This particular one was powered by twin Crusader 350 MPI and cruised easily at 25 knots. Since then I have cruised with him on trips to Campbell River and Ucluelet.

When you start to write a post or reply, look at the bottom of the window to the "Go Advanced." Click it and then find the box which says Manage Attachments. After clicking that, you will see a dialog box for file selection. Click the top "Choose File," which will lead you to your file manager on your computer. Pick your photo files and then click the "Upload" button at lower right of that chooser box.

Welcome Rhoda!

Attached is photo of a 73 31' Uni we sold in 2011. Great boats those Uniflite!

You are correct... in that... was not till latter portion of 74 that Uniflite began using a govt mandated resin mix. Reason: U.S. Govt gave Uni a contract for many 100's of "Delta Boats" to patrol and fight in Vietnam. Those boats had exact hull design as the 31'er we owned.

So... Uniflite factory began using that "new and improved" resin [it had ingredients to help make it more fire proof] in all their boats. Was not till a few to several years past when they had begun that blisters began showing up on too many of their boats. Shortly thereafter the blisters became an epidemic on most Uniflites.

End of the story was a class action suite that broke Uni's financial back.

Enjoy your pre blister Uniflite!

Attachments

• UNI - Copy of 101_0042.jpg
    UNI - Copy of 101_0042.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 7
You are correct... in that... was not till latter portion of 74 that Uniflite began using a govt mandated resin mix.

Same year Grand Banks started making fiberglass boats using methods taught them by Hatteras, I think. Blisters ensued.

Back
Top Bottom