Building a Nordhavn - again

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hey Peter:

Congrats on your new Tanglewood! Seems like yesterday we were chatting about your new build......but that was the 2017 FUBAR. Nice to have it loaded and on the way.

Hope to see Tanglewood in Alaska this summer.

Alex
mvWildBlue.com

Thanks Alex. If all goes well, we will be in AK this summer.

We picked up the ship's AIS yesterday as it passed Japan, and it will now go silent until it gets picked up again as is passes various parts of AK. But it's hauling ass at 19 kts. Hoping for reasonable seas. There have been parts of the North Pacific with 45' waves on 12 second intervals, which would not be pretty.

... There have been parts of the North Pacific with 45' waves on 12 second intervals, which would not be pretty.

Holy walls of water batman, wishing Tanglewood a safe and secure passage!!! :socool:

BBC Ruby is approaching Port Angeles. My guess is 0700 pilot, based on her position and speed. If that is the case, darkness will shut down my intentions for a photo. Will monitor.

What an exciting day for you!

Happy Holidays

Commissioning Location

Congratulations on reaching this point with your new build. Will PAE bring the boat to Dana Point for final commissioning? If so I will be sure to keep an eye out for her next time we visit Dana Point for our walk around the harbor and Nordhavn site seeing tour. Always fun to visit.

John T
N4050, N4061, N3522 - former owner

The pilot was delivered and they are headed your way. Sorry no picture, its still dark.

Is it getting offloaded with a giant red bow on it?

What perfect timing for your Christmas present, bet you aren't getting any sleep at all!!!!

Disregard Post

Congratulations on reaching this point with your new build. Will PAE bring the boat to Dana Point for final commissioning? If so I will be sure to keep an eye out for her next time we visit Dana Point for our walk around the harbor and Nordhavn site seeing tour. Always fun to visit.

John T
N4050, N4061, N3522 - former owner

I should have read a few more posts prior to asking where commissioning is taking place. Disregard my question and best of luck with a smooth and uneventful commissioning.

John

Yes, she appears to be anchored or stopped.

Maybe I can get some better photos later...bad light now.

Attachments

• 16086526438902049656045.jpg
    16086526438902049656045.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 59
Our friends gave us a boat ride when we picked up our new to us boat a few years back, are you getting a Nordhavn flotilla from Everett to EBM? Today's weather is 100% better than yesterdays excitement. Can't wait to see you coming into the marina!

Yes, she appears to be anchored or stopped.

Maybe I can get some better photos later...bad light now.

That's just not fair.

But Customs and offload are planned for tomorrow early AM, so I expect they are staying out of Everett until then. No need to pay more dock fees than necessary.

Makes sense. They needed the pilot to come to Port Angeles.

I have long time customers eagerly awaiting their 40-something being built in Croatia and scheduled for delivery this spring. They had planned to take their N75 over to Europe but aborted and sold it and ordered this one. They'll pick it up over there, cruise on it a year or two , bring it back and PAE will ship it over to Vancouver, all rolled into the price. And they will pay tax on a used boat. I'm interested to see what the construction and engineering looks like.

Port Angeles Today

Port Angeles earlier today...

Attachments

• 632E1CCE-B577-4F72-A6A2-3C898134A644.jpg
    632E1CCE-B577-4F72-A6A2-3C898134A644.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 79
  • D276A630-D4CF-4D1B-9B84-B99A95235928.jpg
    D276A630-D4CF-4D1B-9B84-B99A95235928.jpg
    68.2 KB · Views: 81
Wow, TT, almost two years to the day from your first post about this new Nordy 68 to now, and being delivered. I can only imagine the excitement level. Hey is that a Rocna or Manson Supreme already fitted, or is that someone else's Nordy in the right of the photo..? :)

Wow, TT, almost two years to the day from your first post about this new Nordy 68 to now, and being delivered. I can only imagine the excitement level. Hey is that a Rocna or Manson Supreme already fitted, or is that someone else's Nordy in the right of the photo..? :)

Whatever it is, it's wrong and too small and there's not enough or possibly too much chain. :hide:

But for serious tho, them pilothouse windows is lookin sexy AF...

Rocna, and an unknown, very curvaceous boat next to it.

Irene and I have theorized that they offloaded a boat destine for Victoria, but it was not possible to observe and confirm.

We head up to Everett in about an hour.

Why is that Nordy scowling? :blush:

Try to contain your excitement this morning and have a safe cruise to your home port. :thumb:

Why is that Nordy scowling? :blush:

Well, I can tell you why.

The good news is that we got the boat down to Seattle without any drama. The batteries were a bit flat and could start the generator and wing engine, but we had to run a charger for a while to get the main started. Then some fussing around to figure out how everything works, and we were off.

But when we stepped on the boat, it was clear there was a different, unexpected problem. The salon was packed full of stuff, boxed, padded, tied, etc. Probably a couple thousand pounds of lead ballast for trimming the boat, radar parts, inside and outside tables, chairs, pedestals, spare parts, etc. It's a lot of stuff, which is pretty normal, I think the inventory listed around 100 boxes.

Well, it got loose, and if ever there were a lesson in how much damage loose stuff can do in a boat, this was it. The salon wood work is pretty much completely destroyed everywhere below the windows. Walls are smashed in, doors smashed and ripped off, dents and dings everywhere, and the floor is ruined too. Lead ballast bricks were everywhere, spare plumbing fittings. Even the cast iron grates for the stove were smashed to bits. The 8' radar antenna which was not installed for safe keeping, was literally ripped in half.

We got the mess cleaned up, and did a first inventory of boxes noting which are clearly damaged. Tomorrow we start a more in depth inventory and start coming up with a plan to fix it.

Sigh....

Oh man! I’m sure the damage can be repaired but what a bummer. Congrats on finally getting her, albeit a little rougher than planned. Oh well, you didn’t have anything else to do over the holidays right?
Those Nordie folks will make it right though.

Cheers Buddy!

Hmm, PAE are not novices at shipping boats. Must have been quite a storm the ship went through. They might think about packing the stuff properly into a regular shipping container next time, it will be a lot cheaper for them!

Real bad luck for you though. Their commissioning process is long enough without the list of repairs needed from the damage you outlined. At least you have the boat in 'home' waters now, and I suppose for 2020 that's an achievement not to be taken lightly. May all the work go as fast as possible without compromising the finished results!

Oh no... I did not see that coming.

What a kick in the nuts.

Best of luck with the repairs and commissioning. I hope it's a big step in a smoother direction.

So sorry to hear of all the damage. For sure it can all be fixed, and hopefully without a big delay in your cruising plans. Best of luck for a rapid recovery.

Aww that's bad news about all of the stuff getting loose in the salon. Hoping that no structural damage occurred and that PAE can get it fixed quickly and with the same quality they had when they built it!

We will get it sorted out. But as Dave says, it's a kick in the nuts for sure

On a brighter note, she's looking good....

Attachments

• PCH_2020-12-23_18-21_0032.jpg
    PCH_2020-12-23_18-21_0032.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 89
Well sh$t. So sorry to hear that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom