Faucet Identification (Marine Trader)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ERTF

Need to replace the black cap/washer (see attachments) from the shower faucet on my 1989 Marine Trader 44.

Couldn't find anything similar at home depot in the fix it kits. Don't see any logos on the faucet.

Attachments

• 20201220_142554.jpg
    20201220_142554.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 26
  • 20201220_142906.jpg
    20201220_142906.jpg
    65.8 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201220_142933.jpg
    20201220_142933.jpg
    108.4 KB · Views: 29
  • 20201220_142838.jpg
    20201220_142838.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 25
I think that misshapen washer you are asking about is simply a no longer flat washer.
After several years they lose the original shape from the pressure and harden so they won't rebound.

I redid my Waltec galley set last year and the "flat" washer looked somewhat similar to yours.

I got my parts from the local hardware store. A Home Hardware store walking distance from the house.

Buy the flat washer and replace what you have.
I could be wrong of course but try the flats if the correct diameter.

There could also be an O ring sealing the valves stem and the base gasket.

Yeah I suspect the nipple shape is likely formed by closing tight.

But was yours a similar cap shape? I saw no same size "cap" shape washers at home depot.

Greetings,
Mr. ER. I think Mr. C is correct. A flat washer distorted after years of use. There IS a beveled washer that might fit.

iu

No, those beveled washers wont fit. If you look at my attachment in original post, the black piece does not have a hole in center like a washer. It's a "cap" shape.

Greetings,
Mr. ER. Ahhhh....I see what you're saying now. Washer is a rubber cap that slips over and pops onto stem. Ahh, gotcha.

wasn't there a very similar thread started within the past week?

Your bath/shower fitting is very similar to what was in my boat, that suffered a similar fate. I eventually just replaced the whole unit in each head.

Hudsonreed.com

I found suitable replacements there, quick delivery, reasonable prices, great quality. I did have to adjust the spacing of the holes through the bulkhead to fit.

Yes, looks like I misunderstood that yours does NOT have a through hole and literally has a CAP that fits over the valve stem.

I suspect you have a maverick. I redone more than a few and never seen one like yours.

I think you can get parts at Lowes and/or Home Depot.

Yeah...new holes is what I'm trying to avoid...

I was able to enlarge the old holes enough to accommodate the slightly wider spacing. Not enough different to be a real issue.

Taiwan faucet washers

I am going to make life much easier for all of you. You can get the exact (probably original) cup shaped washers from the following source:

Rainier Precision Engineering
P. O. Box 77610
Seattle, WA 98117-0610
rainierprecision@att.net
206-624-8258

Very nice fellow and sends them to you along with a very reasonable bill.

Please keep the small metal disk found inside the old cup washer, as a new one is not provided. Also train yourself to just tighten the fixture knob just enough to stop the water flow and no more. Too much pressure hastens the deformation of the rubber washer.

Rocky

I just replaced all the old faucets with current models. For the shower I had to make a cover plate out of Starboard to cover the old holes.

Visit a real plumbing supply (where plumbers go for parts), with your problem and the counter guy should have no problem handing you the washer in about 1 min.

Just re and re with new.

I think Comodave has the correct idea. Just replace the old plumbing with new stuff from the hardware store. It doesn't have to be a marine store.

i have the exact same faucet .mine was leaking and i took it apart to find someone had fixed one side and not gotten the old one out so i would love to have some new ones.mine is ok for the moment .

Back
Top Bottom