Offer accepted on Beebe design!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

slowgoesit

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
Muirgen
Vessel Make
50' Beebe Passagemaker
Offer accepted, God how I've been looking forward to writing that! We've been in search mode now for a couple of years, really seriously for the last year or so. Now to the fun part . . . arranging survey, insurance, moorage, etc, etc. . .

Excited and slightly queasy at the same time!:D
Originally wanted a boat in the SE, forays in the Keys, Bahama's, Caribbean, etc, and eventually taking through the Panama Canal, and up to Puget Sound, but as fate would have it, the boat we found is in Puget Sound . . . so we might be doing the plan in reverse!
Survey early part of January, and we'll go from there . . .

Wish us luck!

Boat is a 50' Robert Beebe design, with a Gardner 8LXB engine, 36" variable pitch propeller.

Congrats and good luck / fingers crossed that everything is as it should be, but it will interesting no matter what!. Sure hope we get to see photos someday.

Boat is a 50' Robert Beebe design, with a Gardner 8LXB engine, 36" variable pitch propeller.
Does the boat have a reverse gear? Or does it back down by reversing the pitch? If the latter it will take some getting used to.

Is it the Papazia II?

Is it the Papazia II?

Yep, that's the one. Do you know her? The owners have been absolutely fantastic, speaking too directly, as well as the broker who is the Seller's broker. Spent several hours on the phone with him, then 90 minute facetime back and forth, then 2.5 hours with the Seller, than another 3 hours the next day with him in the boat, and texting pics to me. We put in the offer sight unseen, with the usual contingencies. I will be kind of surprised if it doesn't survey out well, but you know, anything can happen!

Sorry Alaskaflyer, but we got there first!:whistling:

Really looking forward to seeing her in person. Slightly nervous, but what the heck, it's only money, right?

Wish us luck!

Have you done any cruising up here before?

Wow! quite an adventure you have laid out for yourself. I hope you can make it happen. Lots of folks talk about getting a boat from the West coast to the East coast via the Panama Canal. Very few actually do it. When the canal plan gets scratched the next step is often to explore shipping overland. When this plan gets scrapped due to cost you have two options left. Stay put on the West Coast or do what I have advocated for years: Buy a boat closer to home.

Good Luck either way.

pete

Be careful with that Gardner!!! I mean, heck it's got 3000 hours on it!! You are going to have to rebuild it sometime around 2221 or so. Do you really want to leave that liability to your great grandchildren?

Seriously, congratulations on the beginning of the end of your search. Anything can happen in your survey, but I would expect a boat built to that kind of detail would have only minor issues. Fingers crossed for you.

Just finished "Voyaging Under Power" and I would say your boat covers the bases pretty well. One question I have from the pictures. It looks like there is a common log of plumbing for raw water intake. A sea chest of sorts. Is that what it is, and is it of sufficient capacity to provide water for each of the potential taps along the log? My concern is capacity if multiple systems are on. I could also be completely off base so please take this question with a large grain of salt.

Passagemaker. Very cool.

Have you done any cruising up here before?

Many years ago, had a 34' Monk in Gig Harbor, cruised South Sound, up to Stuart Island a lot, and West to Port Angeles, also kicked around on retired tug boats for 4 or 5 years, same cruising grounds. Up to Nanaimo once, all over the area by small plane.

Attachments

• 2010 Haulout prop.jpg
    2010 Haulout prop.jpg
    139 KB · Views: 105
Damn that looks like a great purpose built boat that was done by a very skilled maker and tinkerer. And I mean nothing but praise in that statement. Look at how well done the plumbing and cable runs are done in the ER, and how clean it is. While the Beebe boats do lack in the graceful look department they have the same brute strength and purposeful esthetic of a Cat D9 dozer.

I looked hard at the ad a while back and thought it was a great boat.. it's just not the right time for us to take off cruising again.. not just yet.

Congratulations on buying an amazing boat.
HOLLYWOOD

Be careful with that Gardner!!! I mean, heck it's got 3000 hours on it!! You are going to have to rebuild it sometime around 2221 or so. Do you really want to leave that liability to your great grandchildren?

Seriously, congratulations on the beginning of the end of your search. Anything can happen in your survey, but I would expect a boat built to that kind of detail would have only minor issues. Fingers crossed for you.

Just finished "Voyaging Under Power" and I would say your boat covers the bases pretty well. One question I have from the pictures. It looks like there is a common log of plumbing for raw water intake. A sea chest of sorts. Is that what it is, and is it of sufficient capacity to provide water for each of the potential taps along the log? My concern is capacity if multiple systems are on. I could also be completely off base so please take this question with a large grain of salt.

Passagemaker. Very cool.

On the engine hours, heck, I probably still need to use break in oil!:D

Good questions on water cooling. The boat has a sea chest, the cooling water for the engine doesn't come from the common log, it comes from a separate "thru hull" on the sea chest. The common log feeds the water maker, the Isuzu get home, deck wash pump, and cruise airs. Unlikely that it'll be a problem, at least it apparently hasn't been in 40 years, but in the event it is, there are extra, spare "thru hull" plugs on the sea chest for installation of valves for future expansion.

The two biggest draws would be main engine, and the Isuzu "get home", and they are separate sources.

The water maker looks brand new, but is 30 years old, probably better/cheaper to replace with new, but that's for down the road.

Damn that looks like a great purpose built boat that was done by a very skilled maker and tinkerer. And I mean nothing but praise in that statement. Look at how well done the plumbing and cable runs are done in the ER, and how clean it is. While the Beebe boats do lack in the graceful look department they have the same brute strength and purposeful esthetic of a Cat D9 dozer.

I looked hard at the ad a while back and thought it was a great boat.. it's just not the right time for us to take off cruising again.. not just yet.

Congratulations on buying an amazing boat.
HOLLYWOOD

The original owner was personal friends with Robert Beebe. He modified the design 96 to his needs, it became design 118. He and his wife moved to the Philippines to oversee construction because of the teak availability. The boat was constructed over a period of 4 years, from 1978 thru 1982. She came over from the Philippines on her own bottom. Lots of history in her. Except for when actively cruising, she was fresh water moored in Lake Union for the last 30 years, excepting the last 3 months where she was located at the Broker's dock in La Conner.

What a lovely boat, congratulations! Keep us posted on your progress.

Cheers, Bill

Who did you get to survey the Gardner? I'm very envious of that engine!

We don't have anyone yet. Still looking. Times running out, and we need to find someone! Keep getting answers from Full Service Diesel repair shops like "We've never heard of a Gardner!"

Last edited:
The boat currently has a 75lb CQR on the bow, with a Maxwell 3500 windlass. I am looking at changing that out with an 85lb Mantus M1, but am thinking that I might want a 105 lb instead. Boat has 350' of 1/2" galvanized chain, in good condition. Not sure what type (BB, proof, etc) The heavier anchor and existing chain are still well within the capabilities of the Maxwell. We planning on spend a LOT of time on the hook. My VERY limited experience with CQR anchors tells me this is not the anchor I want. Thoughts?

You've probably already thought of this. Contact Gardner. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

https://www.gardnermarine.com/
We don't have anyone yet. Still looking. Times running out, and we need to find someone! Keep getting answers from Full Service Diesel repair shops like "We've never heard of a Gardner!"

You've probably already thought of this. Contact Gardner. Maybe they can point you in the right direction.

https://www.gardnermarine.com/

Okay, I kind of feel like an idiot,:facepalm: I never even considered that! I will do so straight away. Thank you for the suggestion!

Edit: E-mail sent to GardnerUSA. I'll let you know what I find out! Thanks again!

Last edited:
I’m far from an expert on this but if you end up bringing someone in from an outside area with the associated travel expense you may want to ensure that the survey/inspection that person conducts satisfies your insurance company requirements too- so you don’t have to do it twice?

Is this the boat?
Took this a near Seattle two or so years ago.

Attachments

• DSCF2431.jpg
    DSCF2431.jpg
    195.7 KB · Views: 79
Akfly.
Why do you want a passagemaker for cruising.
Shouldn’t be a good fit.

The boat currently has a 75lb CQR on the bow, with a Maxwell 3500 windlass. I am looking at changing that out with an 85lb Mantus M1, but am thinking that I might want a 105 lb instead. Boat has 350' of 1/2" galvanized chain, in good condition. Not sure what type (BB, proof, etc) The heavier anchor and existing chain are still well within the capabilities of the Maxwell. We planning on spend a LOT of time on the hook. My VERY limited experience with CQR anchors tells me this is not the anchor I want. Thoughts?

I'm a happy Mantus M1 customer, and would recommend them to anyone. There are plenty of other good options of course, but if you decide to go Mantus, I'd recommend contacting a fella named Wally Moran on the Facebook. He runs the Sailing and Cruising: ICW page, and he somehow sells gear at a discount. Dunno how. He might have stolen a truckload of 'em or something.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom