Can you answer this ? Please help me

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Besides the space issue, 1 engine is half the maintenance $$$ of 2. Also, less weight and less of everything needed to support the engine. That's a very reliable engine, I have the same, and I never worry about it. Given that you are easily reachable for a tow if needed, there is no worry about getting home. Also a good point about prop protection on a single. Saved me once or twice. Most single engine boats of the type you are looking at have at least a bow thruster and maybe a stern. Those should minimize docking worries.

assuming the the 2005 and the 2006 34T hull is the same, the prop for the single engine boat is in a half tunnel. Prop walk is not an issue.

assuming the the 2005 and the 2006 34T hull is the same, the prop for the single engine boat is in a half tunnel. Prop walk is not an issue.
Not an issue but at times when it would help (with good planning) its not there to assist. The tiny rudders are not a big help at slow speed. Thrusters are nice to have w the single and why MS made bow std equip.

I've always had twins. My 97/350 has twin Volvo TAMD41P-A's although tight I can still do maintenance on the boat. Its your choice what ever you pick you will adapt.

On my Meridian 469 you absolutely must have at least 2 people to change the oil filter on the generator. I am kidding you not! One person (the idiot, likely me) will be fully inverted down the hatch, at least to the waist and most likely to mid-thigh. The second person will be holding the first person by the ankles or knees. If the idiot doesn't communicate for more than a few seconds he is likely unconscious and the second person most likely needs to scream for more help because pulling the idiot out straight up would be almost impossible for most people without said help.

And that is all because of having two engines taking up all the space in the ER. A single engine would leave plenty of space for the generator.

And I haven't talked about changing the oil filters on the starboard engine. The engine will have to be completely cold because you will be squishing your left shoulder, your neck, and your head into a pathetically inadequate space and then, if you have not lost all of the feeling in your left hand you will have to remove the filter with just the very ends of your fingers, hope you don't spill all the oil if you drop the filter, which is very likely, and THEN you have to try to screw a new filter, full of oil, and only being held by those very finger ends onto the threads while dancing the filter from one finger tip to the next, and not dropping the whole d**n thing.

So, I rather prefer the single engine on my North Pacific 49 all things considered, but other than that I guess I have no opinion.

Greetings,
Mr. M. That has GOT to be the best description of an oil filter change I have ever read. Experience counts. Thank you.

On my Meridian 469 you absolutely must have at least 2 people to change the oil filter on the generator. I am kidding you not! One person (the idiot, likely me) will be fully inverted down the hatch, at least to the waist and most likely to mid-thigh. The second person will be holding the first person by the ankles or knees. If the idiot doesn't communicate for more than a few seconds he is likely unconscious and the second person most likely needs to scream for more help because pulling the idiot out straight up would be almost impossible for most people without said help.

And that is all because of having two engines taking up all the space in the ER. A single engine would leave plenty of space for the generator.

And I haven't talked about changing the oil filters on the starboard engine. The engine will have to be completely cold because you will be squishing your left shoulder, your neck, and your head into a pathetically inadequate space and then, if you have not lost all of the feeling in your left hand you will have to remove the filter with just the very ends of your fingers, hope you don't spill all the oil if you drop the filter, which is very likely, and THEN you have to try to screw a new filter, full of oil, and only being held by those very finger ends onto the threads while dancing the filter from one finger tip to the next, and not dropping the whole d**n thing.

So, I rather prefer the single engine on my North Pacific 49 all things considered, but other than that I guess I have no opinion.[/

Sounds like you should consider a remote mount for that oil filter.

Or consider paying a mechanic to do it for you. I don't know why so many boaters insist on doing every single thing themselves rather than supporting the marina that they claim to love. There's nothing wrong with sharing a little $$$ with others to do the jobs that are not fun.

OR install an oil change system and while you are 'installing', get a fuel polishing system too. Reverso makes both and they are pretty good, a nice clean system install.
I have both.
You can install fuel valving to do whatever you want.
My fuel polisher is set up to draw from both tanks and return to both tanks. You can preprogram the system too.
I go into the ER, push a button and it cleans the fuel for 2 hours.
Of course my fuel drawn from the bottom of the tank. The engine supply lines are butt welded to the bottom of the tank.
LOL when I think back, my N46 had a valve manifold, a bit confusing.... it had 4 fuel tanks suppling the Lugger and 2 generators plus, I could move fuel via a separate pump and Racor filter. Yup, was a home-made fuel polisher.
The only way I could learn that valve manifold was to sit-down there and draw it out, labeling each of the valves on the diagram, their normal position etc. I dont miss that manifold.

Last edited:
Why? Is that really a seriously considered question? Perhaps not every boater has deep pockets. I don't consider changing oil fun but paying a marina top dollar, $100/hour or more, to change oil, an unskilled task, is not in my budget. No way some of us could afford to enjoy boat ownership otherwise. Good on you that you can afford to give your money away.
Or consider paying a mechanic to do it for you. I don't know why so many boaters insist on doing every single thing themselves rather than supporting the marina that they claim to love. There's nothing wrong with sharing a little $$$ with others to do the jobs that are not fun.

Not sure how an oil change system helps replacing oil filters.

I have the 400T and love the single 6lya-stp. Plenty of room in er and fuel and maintenance is cheaper. But we barely go 8 knots. We tow our 13 foot whaler with a 25 yamaha and sill get 3 to 4 gph ay 1800 rpms.
One vote for single.

Twins in a Mainship 34 Pilot

Back to the original posters question.

Both versions of the Pilot 34 (single engine and twin) are great boats. They perform roughly the same, and they even burn about the same amount of fuel at cruising speed.

In regards to the space question . . I have a Pilot 34 with twins, there is ACRES of room to access everything. I do my own maintenance. and I'm 6'4", 235 #'s

I fit just fine (in the engine room, lazarette is a different story)

So don't reject twins on the basis of engine room access (in this model boat)

Back to the original posters question.

Both versions of the Pilot 34 (single engine and twin) are great boats. They perform roughly the same, and they even burn about the same amount of fuel at cruising speed.

In regards to the space question . . I have a Pilot 34 with twins, there is ACRES of room to access everything. I do my own maintenance. and I'm 6'4", 235 #'s

I fit just fine (in the engine room, lazarette is a different story)

So don't reject twins on the basis of engine room access (in this model boat)

And make the decision based on your own preferences not those of others. And here I issue a special warning about deciding based on the recommendations of "Mechanics." They have their reasons and their prejudices but are seldom thinking of your boating styles and your boating enjoyment. In fact, most do very little if any boating. They also may or may not have a lot of experience with a particular boat and they often have prejudices based on what they heard. Far better information here from a bunch of boaters and wide variety of opinions which is exactly what you should get.

I've also heard mechanics, and boaters for that matter, base opinions on information that may not be relevant at all to your decision like older models of engines when you're looking new or newer models when you're looking older.

When someone gives you an opinion, I'd always follow up with "Why do you feel that way" and try to dig for specifics.

Although that wouldn't, the oil filters on many engines can be relocated if needed.

Ah, another advantage of the AT single engine. EVERYTHING is very easy to get to.

I had a 2004 Pilot 34 with twins. I worked at a Mainship dealership, so drove many singles.

Best choice in my opinion was the twins:

1. Props were pocketed, so draft was around 2' 8" (important on the east coast)

2. Not as much vibration and much quieter.

3. More control, no bow thruster is needed.

BTW, the engines are 4 cylinder and smaller. I had no problem with engine access for maintenance.

Enjoy!

Im seriously looking to buy a 2005 Mainship 34T , i was told by my mechanic to stick with the 6LYA YANMAR, and not go with the twin 240 ? Can our fine member please guide me as to which is the better choice and why?:banghead:

I have been on both boats with a single and twin. Beyond the handily differences. There isn't room to work on the twins as they almost touch each other.

Just completed first season with 2006 MS34T, came with a bow thruster, had stern thruster installed. Yes, not a fast boat, purchased accepting that. Pros as mentioned- less maintenance costs, room, economic to operate. With 2 thrusters can walk boat sideways, unless winds over 20 mph or strong currents. Have towing coverage and inland waterways, so lower risk, and only 500 hours on her. Botom line, happy with the single.

Back
Top Bottom