New from Vancouver Island

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jeep09

Veteran Member
Thanks for adding us. In the process of getting a 35-45' trawler, looking forward to learning form the forum. I have already met a helpful member who guided me along so far.

Randy

Welcome to TF. Yes, plenty of help on here - with just about anything. :flowers:

Welcome aboard, from up coast a wee bit :thumb:

Hi there Randy; I'm just north of you in Campbell River, living on board an NT42 in Discovery Harbour. Happy to discuss anything boating!

Welcome, from slightly below! Looking forward to our returning to our treasured visits to Canada when the time is right.

If there is something in Puget Sound you want previewed, shoot me a note.

Welcome from farther below (farthest is our Aussie friends :)). When you eventually become confused by all the different viewpoints here on just about any issue, you can go back and blame "the helpful member" who sent you here!

Hi there Randy; I'm just north of you in Campbell River, living on board an NT42 in Discovery Harbour. Happy to discuss anything boating!

I will be asking lots of questions :)

Hey, I'm in Qualicum Beach living in the Eaglecrest area but my boat is in Comox to be closer to Desolation Sound and the Broughtons. First recommendation is to plan on keeping your boat either in Ladysmith or Comox. Ladysmith is in the heart of the Gulf Islands and Comox is in the heart of some amazing cruising grounds. If you keep your boat in French Creek, the area gets boring real fast for cruising as all you really have is Lasqueti and the southern end of Texada.

Nanoose bay has a great marina, I really like it but again limited cruising areas, repetition will kill the buzz. Google earth Nanoose bay and look at the ocean area, you will see limited cruising options unless you head north or south for a ways.

This is a good time to look for boat/marina. When purchasing the boat tell them you will only buy if the slip comes with the purchase of the boat. Your greatest choices for boats/marina is probably either Ladysmith or Nanaimo. It can be difficult to get into a Nanaimo marina.

Hi Randy,
Welcome to the forum from just south of you, in Nanaimo. We moor at the Nanaimo Port Authority, and as far as I know, there is space available there. We like it there, as it is right downtown and is close to a mall for both food, London Drugs, and LCB (alcohol) store. Good marine services are available, including a fuel dock in the marina, and I could offer some suggestions in that area. There are also some pretty good restaurants close by as well. At 7 knots we are 1/2 hour to Dodd narrows for entering the Gulf Islands and are about 4-5 hours from Pender Harbour, if heading north, or even only 10 hours from Squirrel Cove in Desolation Sound.

I am not sure of availability at other Nanaimo area marinas, but could be some openings.

Good luck with your "hunting".

Welcome aboard Randy ,we are just across Georgia Strait ,in Secret cove ,Great boating on this side ,stay safe.
Will

Hi Randy,
Welcome to the forum from just south of you, in Nanaimo. We moor at the Nanaimo Port Authority, and as far as I know, there is space available there. We like it there, as it is right downtown and is close to a mall for both food, London Drugs, and LCB (alcohol) store. Good marine services are available, including a fuel dock in the marina, and I could offer some suggestions in that area. There are also some pretty good restaurants close by as well. At 7 knots we are 1/2 hour to Dodd narrows for entering the Gulf Islands and are about 4-5 hours from Pender Harbour, if heading north, or even only 10 hours from Squirrel Cove in Desolation Sound.

I am not sure of availability at other Nanaimo area marinas, but could be some openings.

Good luck with your "hunting".
Thanks, this our plan. Will keep updating when we get all our plans confirmed

Welcome aboard...Seattle area member here. If you see a boat in the Seattle area and a 2nd set of eyes, let us know.
Good luck on finding your mistress.

Welcome Randy and happy sailing.

John from Brentwood Bay.

Thankless everyone for the warm welcome. We are waiting for next week to view a prospect boat, will inform here once it becomes real

Welcome from the south Island.
A useful route planning resource...
https://nwcruising.net/

I downloaded all the material here and put it in a small binder. It definitely comes in handy when I am estimating cruising times. Big download, recommend double sided.

Well it’s official, we purchased a Canoe Cove 41. Very excited about cruising in 2021 the Island area near us . It’s been taken care of with many updates over the last 10 years. New updated power & improvements IMG_3519.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_3519.jpg
    IMG_3519.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 23
Looks great. I see you have many hundreds of feet of line on a reel for stern tying, you're ready for Desolation Sound... lol. What is the box under the swim grid?

Looks great. I see you have many hundreds of feet of line on a reel for stern tying, you're ready for Desolation Sound... lol. What is the box under the swim grid?

There is a tank for crab c/w a water circulation pump

Is your boat in Nanaimo, Ladysmith?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom