1988 Mainship 36 Express

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Adriah

Hello,

My fiancé and I are in the process of finding a liveaboard. We live in Southern California so we would like to have the ability to spend some weekends in Catalina or take it cruising with guests, but will mainly be using it as a condo on the water.

I found an 88 Mainship 36 Express. Not familiar with Mainships and couldn’t find much information about them online. Wanted to see what you guys thought about them? Are they quality boats? Prone to any kind of specific problems (like Uniflites and blisters)?

The one I found is listed at $35,000. Is this a fair price for what I’d get?

Thanks in advance

Mainships are a very popular boat, and a lot of them built. There are better, more informed opinions than I can offer.

I do, however, have some knowledge of keeping a boat in SoCal. You may want to check into a slip first, before you get a boat. Make sure you can find one available in an area that is convenient, and the costs are what you can afford. $35k for the purchase may very well be the cheap part. Insurance, bottom cleaning, and general maintenance will add up.

Best success in whatever you decide to do.

Peter

Second what Peter said above, and would add that it would be smart to connect in advance with a reputable yacht surveyor in your area.

Welcome aboard!

I do not have nor have I ever been aboard a 36 Express. I have owned a Mainship MKI and have been aboard many other models. I have also visited their old plants when they were in production in both St Augustine FL and Midway GA.

You may get a better response in the Mainship section, I believe there are a couple of 36 Open owners there.

Mainship built thousands of boats, ranging from the 30 Pilot to a 47 Motor Yacht. Most were Trawler types or Motor Yachts, the 36 Express one of the few ventures into an express cruiser.

Typically on any Mainship your will find value, they are not considered "top of the line," more like a Chevy than a Lexus. The build and engineering is good to very good, the choice of components as good as a top brand.

Engines, steering, controls, pumps, plumbing, etc are a place Mainship did not cut corners. What you get is straightforward sound build and engineering that works without a bunch of frills and foo foo (technical term)

My $0.02 :socool:

Back
Top Bottom