Dinghy Dock Rack

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pgitug

Guru
Vessel Name
Escapade
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37 2002
I have rebuilt a treated wood dinghy dock rack or base twice in ten years. The treated wood rots quickly here in Florida. What have others used to build a support for their dinghy when it’s off the boat?

We had an aluminum rack made with a winch to pull the dinghy up out of the water onto it. It has 2 poles that extend down into the water and the dinghy slides up onto it.

I take my dinghy home in the off season. Haul it up to the ceiling (9 foot ceiling) up out of the way. In this way, it is stored out of the weather and other "elements".

I have rebuilt a treated wood dinghy dock rack or base twice in ten years. The treated wood rots quickly here in Florida. What have others used to build a support for their dinghy when it’s off the boat?

Use saltwater lumber treated with 2.5 CCA and it will not rot! The stuff you get at Lowe’s or Home Depot is usually .25 CCA at best. Lumber Should be tagged on the end with its CCA content.

Yeah, but as a practical matter where do you get the marine grade high concentration stuff? Not like you can stop by Ace Hardware or a big box store on the way home...

There are people building/repairing docks there somewhere? Ask them? Also A quick google search would also give you a listing of suppliers in your area. Promise, it’s not hard.

Last edited:
2.5 lbs./cu.ft is way overkill. Yes 0.25 lbs is not enough, Find out what strength you are using and go up one step, or two. Wear a mask when cutting this stuff.

There are people building/repairing docks there somewhere? Ask them? Also A quick google search would also give you a listing of suppliers in your area. Promise, it’s not hard.

No, actually not -- I live about as far from salt water as you can get on the North American continent and the guy down the street is not building a dock. And I did google search before I posted -- I get a ton of sources on how high level CCA treated lumber was outlawed for most residential uses in 2003/04, how it's going to kill us all, etc., and no sources in this area for it, even though it's not outlawed or banned generally. I did get a long list of uses the EPA says is no longer allowed, except for giant agricultural loopholes (no big surprise there) for uses like fenceposts. Your post caught my attention because we built a new deck a few years ago and I wanted posts and ground-contact lumber that would last more than five minutes before rotting and I didn't want to use the wimpy stuff at the big-box stores. I wasn't able to find any source for about 1,500 miles, except for one supplier in Chicago but they said I had to be a licensed contractor with some kind of special EPA permit and order a high enough quantity to built the pyramids twice over.

Treated wood from the home depot and the marine-grade lumber are two different things.

Granted we don't have the moisture issues nor tropical sun you have there, but I've seen several dingy/scull/kayak racks built out of large diameter PVC pipe. Seems pretty indestructible and readily available. Would that work?

No, actually not -- I live about as far from salt water as you can get on the North American continent and the guy down the street is not building a dock. And I did google search before I posted -- I get a ton of sources on how high level CCA treated lumber was outlawed for most residential uses in 2003/04, how it's going to kill us all, etc., and no sources in this area for it, even though it's not outlawed or banned generally. I did get a long list of uses the EPA says is no longer allowed, except for giant agricultural loopholes (no big surprise there) for uses like fenceposts. Your post caught my attention because we built a new deck a few years ago and I wanted posts and ground-contact lumber that would last more than five minutes before rotting and I didn't want to use the wimpy stuff at the big-box stores. I wasn't able to find any source for about 1,500 miles, except for one supplier in Chicago but they said I had to be a licensed contractor with some kind of special EPA permit and order a
high enough quantity to built the pyramids twice over.

Sorry, about your troubles. Love your state. Been there many times. However please read my original post where I refer to as “saltwater treated”. Somehow the part where you said I live about as far away from salt water as you can get might have something to do with it? The OP posted about rot in Florida. I promise it’s not really hard to get it in Florida. Some of the suppliers we use in LA (Lower Alabama) are right across the state line in Florida. Come visit. Bring a trailer, we will load you up.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom