Golden Ray Special: new cars, low prices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Knot Fast

Vessel Name
Knot Fast
Vessel Make
Great Harbour GH37
We cruised past Golden Ray twice on our St Pete-Charleston-St Pete trip. This week the first section was cut and placed on barge. 4,000 Golden Ray Special new cars are becoming available. Low mileage but might want to have it rust-proofed... Prolly lost that new car smell....

Attachments

• Golden Ray Cut up.jpg
    Golden Ray Cut up.jpg
    183.1 KB · Views: 48
Reminds me of a friend in the trade once observing that a car for sale had done low miles, "on its turret (roof)".

I’m more interested in the parts, like engines, transmissions and body parts. If they didn’t get wet, there is nothing wrong with them......

At the very least, there are several thousand good new tires there. I see GMC and Ram trucks, probably lots of Cummins and GMC Diesel engines looking for a new home too.

Last edited:
They've already stated that nothing will be made available. All cars will be crushed/scrapped, no salvage whatsoever.

They've already stated that nothing will be made available. All cars will be crushed/scrapped, no salvage whatsoever.

Unless you are the salvor.....;). I know people in similar businesses that end up with some pretty good stuff.

I knew a guy that was in charge of decommissioning the old Titan missiles in Tucson. There were tons of gold bus bars and silver. It all went to recycling, or most of it did...

I tell 'ya, if my Mexican amigos were scrapping this job, all those tires, cat converters, etc would make landfall and show up in the local markets. They don't waste anything!

I knew a guy that was in charge of decommissioning the old Titan missiles in Tucson. There were tons of gold bus bars and silver. It all went to recycling, or most of it did...

the salvor doesn't own them or the rights to sell them John. Insurance company declared all of these vehicles a total loss over a year ago.

the salvor doesn't own them or the rights to sell them John. Insurance company declared all of these vehicles a total loss over a year ago.

Oh, I agree 100%. Also it wasn’t the salvor, it was the individual.

Oh, I agree 100%. Also it wasn’t the salvor, it was the individual.

This is a high visibility job with lots of regulatory bodies and expense at every level. I'm sure some sheet metal parts maybe sold out the back door in Morgan city at some point,but certainly no cars...that have been in saltwater for a year and a half

Back
Top Bottom