Do all sending units work with all gauges?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mikentosh

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Shimmy Shimmy
Vessel Make
Gulfstar
I'm replacing my old gauges with new VDO gauges.

If I need to replace any of the sending sensor units on the engines (water, oil, etc). can I just use any sending units for VDO gauges? Or do I have to get specific sending sensors? I tried asking VDO but they only have a contact form and never replied.

Also, I am replacing two digital tach with analog, will those just plug into the new analog gauges?

Thanks for your help.
Mike

No. Check your gauge range and get the applicable sending unit. For example, a 0-80psi oil pressure gauge will use a different sender than a 0-100. Same differences in water temp gauges and sending units. As for the tachs, you may need the right alternator and/or pick up for the tach to work. You need to do some research on this.

They may or may not work. Also single station compared to dual stations use different senders.

No. There are at least a few different resistance ranges for sending units and On top of that, sending units for single and dual stations.

Ken

Different brands of gauges use different ohm ranges in senders with variable resistors.
This includes pressure senders and fuel level senders.

You also have to consider how the sender is grounded, floating ground or to the engine block.

If you are driving two gauges from one sender, that might need a different sender.

No. For example, vdo gauges use a resistance range exactly opposite of Teleflex gauge senders. When incorrectly paired this way an actual low oil pressure condition shows on the gauge as a high pressure. Found this out on my old Phoenix when the gauge was reading 70+ Psi and the low oil pressure alarm was sounding. Teleflex senders on Crusader engines but Phoenix supplied VDO gauges.

No, no a thousand times NO. I know from experience. Buy a matched set of instruments. Get the same brand and model for the upper and lower stations, at the same time get a sending unit to match the gauges.

MOST automotive gauges and MOST sending units will NOT work on your boat.

pete

Back
Top Bottom