Fuel and water fillers.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brisyboy

Vessel Name
Malagari
Vessel Make
Island Gypsy 36 Europa
Our Island Gypsy has what I suspect are very common (for the era) flush deck mount fillers with a circular cap with two holes for fitting a "spanner" They are made of brass (or bronze?) and natural not chromed.

The other day I had a lot of grief getting one of them undone - I actually had to make a new tool that I could pound on to get it loose.

So...I will replace the "O" ring - what about lubricating the thread or should it be left dry? If lubricate what do you recommend?

I like to put on a little Silicone grease, won’t hurt the o-ring.

Have you considered replacing the filler? I replaced the fuel tank on my 45 year old charter boat during the engine swap and went to a larger fill pipe. After 12 years and over 1,000 fuel tank fills, the threads were getting rough to the point of it being tough to screw in the cap. Lubricating the threads just seemed to collect dirt and grit in them. Replaced the filler, and couldn't understand why I fought it for so long.

Ted

Like Hop says, or mineral oil. Be sure the O-ring isn't too big in cross-section, and lube it, that's what sticks when dry.

The last thing my boat will suffer from is locked up fuel caps.....she likes her fuel!!!

I'm a fan of mineral oil too, and it's foodsafe for the water fills. Doesn't last long though, have to reapply every couple months. Has a lot of other good uses like wiping down the bare-metal machinery tables in my shop. I used to use lithium based spray-can garage door track lube on the fill cap threads. That stuff was water resistant and good in the cold and lasts longer, but gets gummy and messy after a while.

Thanks for the replies - I do have a tube of silicone grease which I shall try - take the point though that the threads may have galled with age and maybe its time.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom