Marine Trader 38

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MNdiver

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
looking for 1st trawler
We are looking for our first trawler. Going to look at a 1981 Marine
Trader 38. Have read much on this forum concerning the taiwan boats.

Are there concerns specifically to A MT of this vintage.

Also FL 120 has 3500 hours. What I have read from the knowledgeable people here does not seem excessive.
Finally, she has been in fresh water all her years except fo 6mos.
on the loop. Seems like that would be a plus? steve

We are looking for our first trawler. Going to look at a 1981 Marine
Trader 38. Have read much on this forum concerning the taiwan boats.

Are there concerns specifically to A MT of this vintage.

Also FL 120 has 3500 hours. What I have read from the knowledgeable people here does not seem excessive.
Finally, she has been in fresh water all her years except fo 6mos.
on the loop. Seems like that would be a plus? steve

I hesitated in a reply because there is not enough information provided and because YOU have not yet seen it. You may look and never return to this thread with follow up info.
The age of a boat obviously did not affect my purchase decision. Actually looked at a MT but favored the GB. One FL would have ruled it out for me, that is personal and many are happy having one expense.
You need to look at the boats that perk your interest by the photo, the description and of course the cost. Only then will you have your own comparison needed to decide.

Delfini, thanks so much for the great link

Soo,thanks for overcoming you hesitation. my 3 questions i felt could easily be opinined upon before I had specifics, just looking for a little help to more prepared for that initial visit. BTW the GB is also very much on our radar.

check the rear bulkhead getting ready to replace part of mine. the rear hatch probably leaks

check the rear bulkhead getting ready to replace part of mine. the rear hatch probably leaks

This reminds me that I fixed a similar problem in year 14 of the age of my now 40 year old Taiwanese boat.
Most of the serious issues that relate to the origins of the boat will have shown up long ago. Any that have not been repaired by now are not that serious.
3500 engine hours, if accurate (check hour meter for signs that it is not original) is an average of less than 100/yr, typical usage in many parts of the world, but you do need to know where the boat lived for the majority of its lifetime. A comprehensive logbook helps, anything less leads to a lot of guesswork.

Last edited:
Keith, Thanks for the input. The boat is a Great lakes boat, they are saying all fresh water except for the loop trip. Good reminder to ask to see log book.

Uodate. Wife and I got to see the boat finally. It was covered but were able to get on board and take a good look. Lots to like, but we will keep looking.

Thinking we would like bigger or more windows for one thing.
Thanks for all the advice. The boat is in nice shape, but wood is need of a facelift. This is not an issue for me ( 35 yrs a painter). Good to get eyes on and physically begin the search.

Can someone Suggest me good travelling area and deep sea Scuba diving area. And Travelling websites at Discount rates.

With the single 120 Ford Lehman, what should the cruise speed / gph be for a MT 38 double cabin?

Have seen a few advertised but that seems like not enough power. Of course I have no idea so i ask....:)

--Kevin

With the single 120 Ford Lehman, what should the cruise speed / gph be for a MT 38 double cabin?

Have seen a few advertised but that seems like not enough power. Of course I have no idea so i ask....:)

--Kevin
need water line length

square root of LWL X 1.34 = hull speed

say 37 feet is 6.082762530298219 X 1.34 = 8.150901790599613 Knots
Then, by common wisdom here, you run at 7 knots for optimal fuel burn for cruise

Thanks for that. I guess I should have been asking for real-world results rather than the theoretical speed of the hull.

What I was getting at was, for longevity of a 120hp engine, should the MT 38 be able to run all day at 8 kts?

I get that slower=fuel savings. So the question stands, at what speed and gph does the MT 38 operate at with the 120 lehman? 1.5gph at 7kts? 3gph at 8 kts? What is top speed? 10kts?

--Kevin

I have a 38-dc and I don't think it would do anywhere near 8 knots without burring max fuel. I usually run 6 to 6.5 at around 1600 to 1800 . fuel is probably my lowest expense. check the rear bulkhead before you buy one

Thanks for that info. Very helpful.

In general with 36-38 ft trawler is. 8kt cruise out of the question at a reasonable fuel burn rate - let’s say 3-4 gph or under?

—Kevin

I don't know maybe 7 .from what i understand about the ford 120 is it is best to keep it under 2000 rpms . mine is a 135 single and I love it. most 38's have twins . I usually keep mine under 1900. but mine is a galley down

Back
Top Bottom