Missing boater found clinging to bow pulpit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

angus99

Guru
Vessel Name
Stella Maris
Vessel Make
Defever 44

Attachments

• 398197D7-755F-4B00-BD88-569A8A287B17.jpeg
    398197D7-755F-4B00-BD88-569A8A287B17.jpeg
    93.1 KB · Views: 85
Here’s a little more to the story from this mornings JAX paper. He is one lucky guy!!

....Bee hadn’t been seen since he took his boat into the ocean near Port Canaveral in Brevard County about 4 p.m. Friday. He was reported missing Saturday.

Sunday morning, the 225-foot container ship Angeles spotted Bee about 86 miles offshore clinging to the overturned boat, the Coast Guard reported on Facebook. The Liberian-flagged vessel had apparently been following a regular route from Guatemala to Wilmington, Del., according to data on the website vesselfinder.com.

Coast Guard crews were headed to the Angeles to take Bee back to shore, the agency said.

“It’s an amazing story. We’re just very thankful for the motor vessel Angeles and their entire crew for keeping a sharp lookout,” U.S. Coast Guard Petty Officer 1st Class David Micallef told Florida Today.

Apt name for the ship that found him, Angel, messenger from God.

Kudos to the marina staff member; "He was reported missing Saturday by a member at the marina who said Bee typically doesn't stay out overnight on his boat, the Coast Guard said."

Kudos to the marina staff member; "He was reported missing Saturday by a member at the marina who said Bee typically doesn't stay out overnight on his boat, the Coast Guard said."

It's a shame the guy didn't tell someone his plans or leave a float plan....might have shortened the time clinging to the boat....but glad it did work out.

Can't tell you the amount of time spent by the USCG on following up reports of a boat and owner missing only to find out the boat was at another marina for service, hauled out by trailer for an out of town trip, etc......so leaving word can help both ends of rescue work.

I often kidded people that a good operations center needs a good detective no matter their real background.

Last edited:
"....Bee hadn’t been seen since he took his boat into the ocean near Port Canaveral in Brevard County about 4 p.m. Friday. He was reported missing Saturday."

Lets see, left the dock pretty late in the day, was by himself it appears, never filed a float plan or told anyone where and for how long he was going to be out. 32' boat that capsized takes some serious wave action I would think or stupidity. With his luck he needs to visit Vegas.

I want to know which manufacturer made the forward hatch & gasket.

"....Bee hadn’t been seen since he took his boat into the ocean near Port Canaveral in Brevard County about 4 p.m. Friday. He was reported missing Saturday."

Lets see, left the dock pretty late in the day, was by himself it appears, never filed a float plan or told anyone where and for how long he was going to be out. 32' boat that capsized takes some serious wave action I would think or stupidity. With his luck he needs to visit Vegas.

Didn't see where it had capsized....one article said the boat was taking on water as the guy napped.

Cool story, but what anchor is that?

Last edited:
I wouldn't read too much into the word "capsize." It may be the only nautical term the journalist knows. The story seems to suggest he had mechanical problems, was adrift, and took a nap before the boat started to take on water. If it did capsize on the way down, it could be that was the result, not the cause.

News article link in first post stated boat capsized.

Mid cabin, GlasPly made Long, Mid and Short cabin models. Short was primarily reserved for law enforcement or utility use.

Last edited:
Crazy story. The poor guys facial expression tells it all.....

It's a shame the guy didn't tell someone his plans or leave a float plan....might have shortened the time clinging to the boat....but glad it did work out.

Can't tell you the amount of time spent by the USCG on following up reports of a boat and owner missing only to find out the boat was at another marina for service, hauled out by trailer for an out of town trip, etc......so leaving word can help both ends of rescue work.

I often kidded people that a good operations center needs a good detective no matter their real background.

And more, take a beacon of some sort, any sort. I was watching North Woods Law tonight and a couple saved that may not have been otherwise. They were hiking a snow covered mountain and just not making progress so used it to make a call. Their cell phone had no coverage but they stayed put and even though it took the rescuers 11 hours to hike to them, they were saved healthy and well. Their chances of surviving days while a search took place would have been very slim. Now, to this guy, he was very lucky, but I'd prefer not leaving it to luck.

Back
Top Bottom