Carver... Good? Bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looking at a carver 370 aft cabin with cat diesel engines. 1993 model. Anything I should be looking for that is common to this model. Plan on using it at trawler speeds. 8-10 knots on the icw. What should I be looking for as fuel usage. Thanks for y'all input. Coming from a 38' sailboat.

The only thing I can think of is the soft block issue of the Cat 3116 which is likely what is in this boat. Most of them have been taken out of circulation but I would do my due diligence just to make sure. Call your local Cat dealer and see what the series of serial numbers are and then compare it to what is installed. Great plan otherwise. You are probably getting a great deal on a very roomy boat. Good luck.

Miz Trom,

I have an '82 3607. 2 cabin, 2 head, Galley down, with flybridge & lower helm, 2 International Harvester 9.0L diesels (parts still available). Very solid hull (a 4x4 bounced off the bow crossing Okechobee @ ~10-12knts). Engine access isn't great (under the salon floor), ad she only carries 240 Gal of fuel, so short legs. Cruises easily 2200 rpm @ 12-15 knts & 6-8 Gal/Hr. I Love her. She's had 6 owners since new, with decreasing skill & care until I got her 5 years ago. I plan to take her through a complete overhaul over the next 5 years. I retire in 7 years & want some shakedown time before doing the loop.

The 3607 is big enough (36ft 7in at the waterline) to be comfortable for 3-4 adults, but small enough to be single handed.

My son & I got caught in a storm (NOAA didn't show anything about it) 6-8ft waves & 20-30 knot winds. Beat the crap out of both of us for ~3-4 hours, but not a drop got inside and all the pots, pans and crockery was still in the cupboards and unbroken.

Carver went from designing all of their boats by using only straight edges and triangles to using only French curves.

Like overnight.

As if someone put acid in the water cooler at work.

We are in the process of having an engine survey next week on a 1991 Carver 42 with dual Cummins. This particular boat has plenty of headroom to accommodate my 6'5" height which was a major selling point. We liked the absence of the lower helm which provides a bit more room in the salon. So far this boat looks good and if surveys come in good we will be taking it to Ensenada for some modifications and paint.

We are in the process of having an engine survey next week on a 1991 Carver 42 with dual Cummins. This particular boat has plenty of headroom to accommodate my 6'5" height which was a major selling point. We liked the absence of the lower helm which provides a bit more room in the salon. So far this boat looks good and if surveys come in good we will be taking it to Ensenada for some modifications and paint.

Good luck with the survey. Hope it goes well, then we will need some photos...

Overall, they seem like fine boats and a good value. Came very close to buying one a while back and it was really cheap. (good value, not a bad boat).

But, had two major deal killers for me.

First, the one I looked at was a smaller (35ish an didn't have a cockpit OR a lower helm station).

The Voyager had a nice cockpit, but still no lower helm so didn't bother to even look at it. For "me" the lower helm is a must, especially in rough water and single handling.

But... had a fair amount of time on them, but always in easy weather.

The Voyager had a nice cockpit, but still no lower helm so didn't bother to even look at it. For "me" the lower helm is a must, especially in rough water and single handling.

But... had a fair amount of time on them, but always in easy weather.

I am surprised Voyager had no lower helm....unless it was a 37. Because usually the word that follows "Voyager" on the side of the boat is "Pilothouse". The Voyagers did begin to lose the Pilothouse in the later models as people did not like the amount of space sacrificed for them(me included).

I am surprised Voyager had no lower helm....unless it was a 37. Because usually the word that follows "Voyager" on the side of the boat is "Pilothouse". The Voyagers did begin to lose the Pilothouse in the later models as people did not like the amount of space sacrificed for them(me included).

Baker,

Me, too. I only looked at the 46, but didn't see one with a lower helm. Otherwise a pretty nice boat.

Would also prefer a flybridge that goes all the way to the back for dinghy storage and shade.

Carver

Had a 38 aft cabin for several years and cruised Florida and the Bahamas. I called it "a poor mans Caddilac". Liked it well enough with one exception which is why I moved on - the windage was horrible. With a 3 1/2 ft draft it rolled badly, dunking one rail and then the next if even the slightest wind or sea got on the beam.

Me, too. I only looked at the 46, but didn't see one with a lower helm. Otherwise a pretty nice boat.

The 450 Voyager could have a lower helm... as did the 530/52 and 570/560.

I've actually looked semi-closely at those larger models, at least on paper, and I like the layouts...

But neither helm in any model suits me all that much. Windshields too raked, limited space for decent plotters, etc...

Otherwise I really like the layout of the 570/560 models... but then again that length is in the "not as easy to take the boat out for a quick lunch" category.

-Chris

96 Carver 430

Anyone with specific experience with the 96 Carver 430 w/ twin cummings 6bta's. ? Thinking pulling the trigger for a christmas present to myself

I'm doing some research on powerboats and the Carver Yachts brand keeps popping up. Does anyone know about build quality?

I'm also looking at some Offshore Yacht boats... mostly the 54. I like the 1000 gallon of fuel -- so extended anchoring shouldn't be an issue (with 1000 gallons).

Any thoughts about Carver?

From what I know and think I know is that if you like Ford’s and Chryslers you’ll probably feel the Carver is fine.

I liked the older wood Carvers.

Re anchoring are you say’in running at night is an option to anchoring?
Depends on where one is IMO.

Last edited:
We looked at a 53 Carver and liked it well enough but it had Volvos.

As former Carver owner for over 18 years, I know that they had blisters issues on anything that was built prior to 1990. yes, the older Mariner models were ugly and i would also say the something about the KK Manatee. in my opinion, the Carver voyager was the best in line as it was easy to handle and to get around on board.
good luck.

Goodluck with your survey. There is a 35 ft carver at my marina. Its a nice looking boat and has gobs of space inside it. It think the only larger 35 ft boat i have seen is the KK manatee. If I were in the market for a 35 ft boat I definitely would not rule out a Cummins powered Carver.

Here is the Mariner 37 I was referring to. Still disagree?

5388488_20150918130238309_1_XLARGE.jpg

We had one of these in our marina for a couple of years. I think I laughed every time I walked by it.

But, I like the older Carvers. They are the Chevrolet of the yachting world. And, that's mostly a good thing.

Goodluck with your survey. There is a 35 ft carver at my marina. Its a nice looking boat and has gobs of space inside it. It think the only larger 35 ft boat i have seen is the KK manatee. If I were in the market for a 35 ft boat I definitely would not rule out a Cummins powered Carver.

See my signature. I could not agree more. That Cummins powered 356 was a fantastic boat! Loved every minute of it!!!

We had one of these in our marina for a couple of years. I think I laughed every time I walked by it.

But, I like the older Carvers. They are the Chevrolet of the yachting world. And, that's mostly a good thing.

While I agree it is quite likely one of the ugliest boats ever made, you have to go aboard to understand why they sold so many of these. It is quite a unique boat in the way they used space. In the early to mid 2000s, we had the largest Carver dealership in the world in our area. So these things are EVERYWHERE down here....haha! Anyway, I do inderstand how the "casual non boater with money" could be "ensnared" by this thing. It is appealing to those that don't realize the aesthetics of boat design.

We're now searching hard for a 444ES, mainly for the interior and deck layout. When I'm driving I can't see it anyway. In my mind the ugliest boat is the one that doesn't get used.

While I agree it is quite likely one of the ugliest boats ever made, you have to go aboard to understand why they sold so many of these. It is quite a unique boat in the way they used space. In the early to mid 2000s, we had the largest Carver dealership in the world in our area. So these things are EVERYWHERE down here....haha! Anyway, I do inderstand how the "casual non boater with money" could be "ensnared" by this thing. It is appealing to those that don't realize the aesthetics of boat design.

I'm sure, that for use as a floating condo, that never leaves the slip, you could do a lot worse.

But, I often wondered what it would be like trying to work that foredeck, anchored, or going through, some real slop. :D

I could see living on a Carver 371 as a floating condo.... if at least the front 2/3 of the boat could be hidden in a boat shed or covered over some other way.:rofl::D

carver voyager 52

looking at a 52 Voyager with volvo's. low hours..bow & stern thrusters.. looking to live aboard & charter/entertain. thoughts?

Welcome aboard. Carvers are fine, maybe look for one with Cummins engines. Volvos have a reputation for very expensive parts, if you are able to get the parts. But that is my opinion, yours may vary. Search the site for Volvo opinions.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom