View Single Post
Old 11-27-2020, 02:43 PM   #8
thebruce
Veteran Member

City: San Francisco
Vessel Name: Barbary Ghost
Vessel Model: Grand Banks 32
Ha! Love the honesty

Question: Is the concern because its a woodie in general, or it was a charter boat?

And very good point about the 6-pack rating. I will check. That was the plus on this boat. It was his business he used it everyday and it was mechanically and structurally sound.

I will say people told me the same thing about buying an older 911. Turned out to be the best car ive ever had. I learned how to take everything apart myself and only paying for parts made maintenance costs immaterial. The car is now worth more than I paid after putting 40k miles on it. The people that told me I was an idiot have paid $36k in lease fees over the same time...

Anyway, I have a guy that works on a number of wood boats and can bring in a team fo 3-5 guys at $30-35/hr for all the sanding, scraping and repainting. Its his low season so he estimated it would take them 3 weekends or 1 week for the the heavy lifting on the cabin house, flybridge, decks and brightwork. I see this being a big plus in making the project less daunting.

Thats a big factor in my calculation. Paying $75-140 at a yard for the same thing doesn't make sense.

I will handle the interior, engine and whatever is left on brightwork. We will do the repaint topsides next year and recaulk the decks over the next year.

Any structural issues below the waterline would be my no-go line. Any rot around the windows seems manageable, but would impact the sale price.

Good feedback, keep it coming.

Ps - Another question...does anybody know the dimension of the forward hatch and if you can retrofit with a lewmar?
thebruce is offline   Reply With Quote