Barrier coat education wanted

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Unclematt

Vessel Name
Seaview
Vessel Make
Sundowner 32
Today I had a company start blasting the bottom of my boat. So far it looks great my question is what barrier coat do you guys prefer to use and how many coats do you recommend? I am going to apply it myself and want it done right. Thanks

Interlux Interprotect. I have used it on multiple boats. I call Interlux and ask them how many gallons the boat needs and then go 1 more gallon just in case. It is really easy to put on multiple coats, all the hard work comes before you start to paint. And you are having it done now with the blasting. You put the first coat on and then when it is thumbprint dry, push your thumb on the paint and it doesn’t come off on you but does leave a thumbprint, then you recoat. Don’t let it dry completely or you have to sand and clean the hull. If you recoat at the proper time it is easy. The last boat we painted we did 6 coats of barrier paint and 2 1/2 coats of bottom paint. Some days we only put on 1 coat and some days we did 2 coats depending on thumbprint dry. It was a 32’ with a 13’ beam and a coat took about 45 minutes to lay on. We had the yard bring the boat to our house and block it on the driveway so we were on concrete and could use a creeper.

Agree w Dave
I've used it and was able to do one coat AM another PM and you need to observe same for first coat of bottom paint. I think I did 3 coats barrier (min recommended if memory is correct) plus 2-3 bottom paint. I thin my bottom paint more than mfg recommends and add another coat based on my yard recommendation.
Make sure you have enough good Wx days to get it done or it gets to be a lot of extra work & $.
Look for the instruction sheet online, print and read it over and have a plan. It lists approx dry time based on temp & humidity.

There's more work involved if you want /plan to move jacks & paint those areas also.

We did the whole bottom except for the blocking. Then the yard came to the house and moved the blocking and we went through the process again but the time it took to do the spots was like 5 minutes per coat.

I agree with what already has been mentioned. In addition, alternate colors with each coat to make sure you're getting complete coverage. More thinner coats is better for uniform overall thickness. As it's unlikely you will ever do this boat again, a little more thickness has a very small cost in the overall job cost.

Ted

With the Interlux all coats do not have to go at the same time anymore so you don’t have to kill yourself. I did 2 coats per weekend. Interprotect 2000e is now 6 months max between coats with no sanding. Instructions below. As stated above an extra coat can’t hurt.

https://www.wholesalemarine.com/interlux-interprotect-2000e-epoxy-marine-barrier-coat-kit-79094.html

That is nice news. I have not done a barrier coat since 2014. That was 3 boats ago so I haven’t read the directions lately. I would still do it all at once just to get it over with.

If you have the yard leave an extra few jacks you can just place the extra jacks on the painted area and unscrew the jacks where you need to paint after cranking the extras tight, the only places that doesn't work is where the blocks are under the keel. This is the system I use in the yard when doing bottom paint.

Over the years, the yards I have been hauled in would have a heart attack if anyone but their staff moved a jack stand. Get the yard staff to adjust the jacks as needed. I would coat under the stands as well.
If it were my boat, I would use Interprotect (as many others have stated) and since you are having the bottom 'blasted" to bare, I would apply 5 coats. This will offer great protection. Two coats of antifouling, and maybe 3 along the waterline, and any other high wear areas (depending on what paint you are using).
Good luck.

Moving the jack stands without moving the keel blocking doesn’t do any good, you have to paint both areas.

Difference between yards, and the job. With just bottom paint, you can get the keel done while it's on the trailer overnight before launching. Not so with barrier coating. My yard is comfortable with my competence level setting the jack stands, but it is also a smaller yard and I know the owner quite well.

The boat is at my house. I had to pay for oversize load permit but it is so easy to get stuff done. I have it in a 16 x 40 shelter that I can heat so I have no excuses. I plan to move the stands I know the guy blasting has moved them. The blocks are an issue not sure what I will do about that.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom