What's for dinner?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag1

Guru
Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
34 Mainship Pilot Hardtop
Given the COVID situation we are foregoing a family get together and the typical Thanksgiving spread. Instead of the traditional turkey we will be doing steak, stuffed shrimp and my famous seafood stuffing using little necks and fish that I have caught earlier this year. For desert I was first in line at the bakery for a strawberry cheesecake.

So what's on your menu? Lets eat.

This is our Son's last Thanksgiving living at the house, so he got to write the menu. Flame Crafted Ham from Fred Meyer, smashed baby potato's, Moms home made rolls, green bean casserole. And Mom's home made pie, pumpkin, pecan.

Most years there are 20+ at hour house, this year its only 4. Most years I take today off work to help prep the home/meal. But this year I am just refinishing my Hi-Lo table for the boat.

Traditional but for four instead of the normal 15 - 20

pete

Both our kids have gone Vegan so we have no more "traditional" dinners. So our meals with them have to be creative.

Our first Thanksgiving Day on the boat, currently in Fort Myers Beach. Dinner out after sunset beach bar drinks tonight then a traditional turkey dinner on board for just the two of us tomorrow - with a herbed turkey breast instead of a full bird.

Being from the British Isles, Christmas is our big deal and still hoping to have it with the three children.

Should reach Fort Myers tomorrow, but will be staying on the boat. Maybe crabcakes or sirloin on the grill. Then again, maybe both.

Ted

Two years ago found us anchored by the side of the Tenn-Tombigbee at MM96 for Thanksgiving. We cooked a full, traditional dinner including homemade pies. We watched the parades on TV in the morning while preparing the meal and football in the afternoon. We were alone at that anchorage (Leroy 2 on Active Captain). The previous night there were three other Loopers anchored with us but they moved on early in the morning. This anchorage was excellent. In case any Looper are wondering.

This year we will be at our daughter's home.

My wife insists on doing the full Thanksgiving dinner so we will have turkey and all the trimmings for my wife, my mom and me. Happy T day to everyone.

Trader Joe's has a chunk of turkey wrapped in stuffing pastry, with cranberries and gravy included. Perfect for a virus-bound couple.:thumb:

This is different. Went car shopping last week and during a test drive we passed a Valero gas station. The sales person asked if we ever had BBQ from a nearly hidden trailer at the side of the gas station. I love BBQ, the wife not so much.

The sales guy was ex-military and a BBQ fanatic. He said he’s had BBQ all over the world and has never had anything as good as from this dinky little trailer. He raved about it so much that the wife agreed to try it.

The next day I picked up a half pound of brisket (sliced by hand right in front of me) a rack of ribs, cole slaw and baked beans. All cooked on site in a smoker with a wood fire. (I’m beginning to drool just typing this.) My wife LOVED it. I loved it—-best I ever tasted. Do I need to tell you what our Thanksgiving menu will be? Happy Thanksgiving to all!!

Here in Puerto Vallarta, Thick pork chops, corn on the cob, mashed tater’s and fresh made sourdough bread, desert is Fresh Strawberries and Vanilla ice cream. Who says ya have to suffer when cruising!

Cheers all!

My daughter is cooking the traditional turkey dinner with oyster dressing, crab cakes, string bean casserole, Greek salad and twice baked potatoes. Wife is doing her usual black berry pie and a rhubarb custard pie. Me? Sit back with my son-in-law and enjoy a great scotch.

for my sweet beautiful "house mouse" and myself....
Stuffed mushrooms-crabmeat
Peas, corn, mashed potatoes with gravy, corn bread dressing, turkey breast with cranberry sauce.

and once again, it wont all fit on my saloon table.

Last edited:
Got a 20 pound turkey on the grill right now, lots more things getting cooked as I type, and we're having friends over for dinner.
There will be nine of us. Perhaps 2 more for desert.
Cheers!

Here in BC, Provincial Health orders are to limit social gatherings, keep to only your own household. Original plans for today included a dinner with friends, one of whom is still a US citizen, so the menu was a traditional Thxgiving.
We will definitely have a good bottle of wine with whatever we eat, though the gathering will be a total of just the 2 of us.

Best wishes to our US friends on this important day for you.

Last edited:
Spatchcocked turkey done on the Treager, my world famous stuffing (well, that might have been an bit of an exaggeration!) that I'm doing on the Treager and the usual assortment of side dishes.

Got a 20 pound turkey on the grill right now, lots more things getting cooked as I type, and we're having friends over for dinner.
There will be nine of us. Perhaps 2 more for desert.
Cheers!

Do the last two know they are going to be desert?

You have to be a Rhode Islander to appreciate this.

Given the COVID situation we are foregoing a family get together and the typical Thanksgiving spread. Instead of the traditional turkey we will be doing steak, stuffed shrimp and my famous seafood stuffing using little necks and fish that I have caught earlier this year. For desert I was first in line at the bakery for a strawberry cheesecake.

So what's on your menu? Lets eat.

For you Lollygag

Attachments

• A8E88AD1-3362-4034-8D28-1E4E593C2A4F.jpeg
    A8E88AD1-3362-4034-8D28-1E4E593C2A4F.jpeg
    84.9 KB · Views: 11
Ah, we must not forget and be thankful for our Veterans and those currently protecting our way of life. I remember the taste of the turkey loaf..... sort of like a WW2 canvas tent smells and maybe the same age too.

Ah yup, I am a veteran so be thankful, I am not your hungry neighbor.

Last edited:
Cigatoo yes as a Rhode Islander I do appreciate it.especially since the state “misplaced “my Rona test. So we did not get together w daughter.

Oh well did extended family Zoom fun but not the same.

We are getting ready to have our Tday dinner after watching the Detroit Lions suck another time...

Enjoy Dave! Detroit’s day will come.....someday.:)

No, it will never come because we are talking about the Detroit Lions. It doesn’t matter who the coach is, who the players are or who they are playing, they just can’t win and they haven’t in more years than I can remember. I feel I should root for them since we live in Michigan but my real team is the Steelers.

Ah, we must not forget and be thankful for our Veterans and those currently protecting our way of life. I remember the taste of the turkey loaf..... sort of like a WW2 canvas tent smells and maybe the same age too.

Ah yup, I am a veteran so be thankful, I am not your hungry neighbor.

Wholeheartedly agree! And as for the turkey roll, we had two takeout bersions today.

Attachments

• FAD66AAB-4917-4526-B6E0-4097360D0A2C.jpg
    FAD66AAB-4917-4526-B6E0-4097360D0A2C.jpg
    159.7 KB · Views: 10
My son made Beuof Wellington, Roasted Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots, Wedge potatoes. Fabulous!

Started the day with eggs Benedict.

107698B0-4C1A-4618-A125-E34663C7CE27.jpg

Had lobster rolls for late lunch.

1B68336A-9DC1-47BD-9547-3B590CFD5105.jpg

Enjoyed the sunset all while on Time & Tide

6ABDE57F-81FF-473C-B4CA-BF0E1DBF2981.jpg

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Todd

8 vice the normal 36. All the normal turkey and ham and home prepared veggies that are so valued by the fam. Delivered a full turkey dinner to one of the daughters and her family by car, and another to an isolated friend at anchor via a 38-mile round trip in dah boat this afternoon. Great afternoon and early evening for a boat ride.

Briefly debated doing TG dinner on the boat even though it is on the hard just to be out of the house, unfortunately the rain prevented it. Wife was not to keen anyway.

Dinner with a friend at OC Whites on the bayfront in St Augustine,Fl..80 degree wx. Lots of Cruisers here know that restaurant. Always good, always consistent.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom