Gelcoat burning/ bonding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi- we live aboard a PT35’ SundeckTrawler for about 16 years now. My diver says we need bottom paint but we are trying to wait until the pandemic settles down as we have no safe place to stay when Morning Mist is on the hard. Last cleaning, our diver added the following:

“DIVERS REPORT:
You need to check bonding noticing gelcoat burning around tru hull fittings”

Question: Do we need to push the haul-out? Is this a dangerous thing for the boat - and us? Could someone explain to me what this means, please?

Thanks in advance, Nancie

You need a certified marine electrician to do a test of your anodes. You can have too many. They can use a silver half cell and check it.

Hi- we live aboard a PT35’ SundeckTrawler for about 16 years now. My diver says we need bottom paint but we are trying to wait until the pandemic settles down as we have no safe place to stay when Morning Mist is on the hard. Last cleaning, our diver added the following:

“DIVERS REPORT:
You need to check bonding noticing gelcoat burning around tru hull fittings”

Question: Do we need to push the haul-out? Is this a dangerous thing for the boat - and us? Could someone explain to me what this means, please?

Thanks in advance, Nancie

You have a stray current issue- get it addressed as soon as possible.

I'd also consider adding an isolation transformer to your system.

I have no idea what your diver is talking about. Gel coat burn is when you polish through the gel coat layer with polishing compound. Secondly if you had an electrolysis or galvanic issue the thru hull would suffer deterioration not the gel coat. Not saying there is no problem, just that the divers’s note makes no sense.

I have no idea what your diver is talking about. Gel coat burn is when you polish through the gel coat layer with polishing compound. Secondly if you had an electrolysis or galvanic issue the thru hull would suffer deterioration not the gel coat. Not saying there is no problem, just that the divers’s note makes no sense.
True...never heard of gel burning except when polishing/restoring gel.

Paint "burning"/deterioration around underwater metal yes.....

I thought that maybe the diver was referring to the bottom paint???

Back
Top Bottom