• Trawler Forum Classified Posting Guidelines
    • We expect ads placed to be related to the topic of this forum.
    • Ads that are inactive for 180 days or longer may be moved to the Classified Archive and locked. Ads may be relisted if the item is still current. Alternatively, owners may contact a Moderator to reinstate an archived ad.
    • The Classified section is for advertising, members are asked to refrain from posting discussions to a Classified Ad. Please start a discussion thread or PM the owner for discussions.
    • Do not hijack another member's ad by posting unsolicited commentary. Example: if a member has posted an ad offering an anchor for sale, don't add a post to his thread stating that you have an anchor you'd like to get rid of also. Posts deemed as unsolicited commentary may be removed.
    • For your own security, do NOT include your e-mail or phone number in your ad. Instead request that interested parties contact you via PM (private message) to provide owners contact info.
    • Brokers, Dealers, or those with a commercial interest in a sale are prohibited from posting in Classifieds.
    • Only Trawler Forum Commercial Members may post ads in the Commercial section. You must be a designated Commercial Member to start threads in this section of the forum. (Contact a moderator if you have questions about this)
    • Don't post links to commercial sites where you are also offering the boat, such as eBay, Craigslist or Yachtworld, etc. unless it contains a more in-depth description, additional information or pictures.
    • Place only one ad per item (you may repost only when your ad has expired and been removed).
    For Sale ads MUST include:
    • Asking price
    • Clear statement whether you are the owner or non-owner (posting for friend, relative, or acquaintance)
    • Don't forget to select: FOR SALE, WANTED or FREE in the Title block.
    All ads should also include ALL the following:
    • Pertinent maintenance and condition information
    • Exterior picture or pictures
    • Interior picture or pictures (boats)
    For maximum impact & exposure, it is suggested the Ad Title include: Year, Manufacturer, Model, Length, Price, and Location or at the very top of the ad body. When your item has sold or the ad is no longer relevant: Please post a Reply to the ad that the item is SOLD or click "Report Post" on post 1 of the thread to ask a moderator to archive the ad. Ads may be moved or removed by our staff at any time for any reason. All ads must comply with site rules. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Avoid Scams.

Our classifieds are free and anyone registered here is welcome to post an ad.
    Be aware that there are unscrupulous folks out there. Avoid any interaction that seems odd to you or �feels� wrong. Inquiries from unknown buyers, buyers �agents� and other non-traditional approaches should be treated with extreme caution.

Beware of unsolicited contacts offering to put you in touch with someone else who is buying or selling via e-mail or text.

Do not post your e-mail address or phone number in a classifieds ad.

Hints that you may be dealing with a Scammer:
    • Seller or Buyer approaches you via a direct email or PM and then steers you to an off-site communication method (text or email).
    • No posts or very few forum posts.
    • Recent forum membership
    • Insists on conducting negotiations via email or text rather than PM
    • Requires payment via Bank Transfer, BitCoin/CryptoCurrency, WesternUnion or other unsecured method.
    • Buyer or Seller suggests Paypal "Friends and Family" payment. Paypal is a good way to arrange payment but an invoice for goods and services should be used rather than "Friends and Family". "Friends and Family" avoids fees BUT there is no recourse if the transaction runs aground. Friends and Family is for gifts only. There is no protection for Friends and Family transactions, so never ever use it to buy something.
    • Declines to allow viewing the item before proceeding with the transaction.

SOLD 1984 Kadey Krogen Manatee $137,500

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

orapol

Vessel Name
Suzie Q
Vessel Make
1984 Kadey Krogen Manatee
[FONT=&quot]After 15 years and, unfortunately not much use, we are letting our Suzie Q go. Health issues make it impossible to continue our dream of someday doing the Great Circle Loop. We took her in 2008 from Cleveland, Ohio to Brystol, RI and back, took six weeks, but that was our only real excursion. Since then we replaced the engine with a new 75 HP Yanmar engine. Right now it has 100 hours on it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All the big buck items are installed. Central air, electronics, bow thruster, Windlass and 100 feet of anchor chain and line, generator, Vacuflush toilet and new holding tank, fuel polishing system, new water heater, a 2002 Nautica jet boat as our dinghy with a davit system tough enough to handle it. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]New hardwood headboard in bedroom and new Amish-made suede cloth upholstery in salon. The salon hosts a custom built cherry cabinet for our flat screen TV that lifts up by remote when ready to relax for the day. We even have original blueprints by James S Krogen himself! All serious inquiries will be considered.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]All outside teak was professionally refinished this fall.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]​[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Please email for photos![/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]loparosue@aol.com
[/FONT]

Last edited:
The "new 75 HP Yanmar engine" seems awfully small for 36' Trawler. A quick search seems to indicate they were built with a single 110 Volvo Diesel. I'm new to looking for a trawler but it just seems like it would be underpowered, am I missing something here?

The "new 75 HP Yanmar engine" seems awfully small for 36' Trawler. A quick search seems to indicate they were built with a single 110 Volvo Diesel. I'm new to looking for a trawler but it just seems like it would be underpowered, am I missing something here?

Yes. Displacement of about 10 metric tons. Likely doesn’t need more than 15-20hp to cruise at 6+ knots.

If your interest is long duration passages then I’d say it’s perfectly powered.

That’s a shame you can’t continue your dream. I know what having such serious health issues can do, or rather stop you from doing what you want. My heart goes out to you.
If I might make a suggestion, you might want to include a profile picture of your boat in the initial post to help build some excitement. Just a thought.
Best wishes.

Yes. Displacement of about 10 metric tons. Likely doesn’t need more than 15-20hp to cruise at 6+ knots.

If your interest is long duration passages then I’d say it’s perfectly powered.

Thanks Mako, that's good to know. I'm sure that would help keep fuel costs low as well!

The Suzie Q (#11) came with a Perkins 50 HP engine. It took us to Rhode Island and back with no problem other than leaking a quart of oil a day. Haha! I have a photo of us going 11.2 MPH through Hell's Gate on the East River in New York! We upgraded to the Yanmar 75 and were told that this would provide maximum power for this boat.

That’s a shame you can’t continue your dream. I know what having such serious health issues can do, or rather stop you from doing what you want. My heart goes out to you.
If I might make a suggestion, you might want to include a profile picture of your boat in the initial post to help build some excitement. Just a thought.
Best wishes.

Good idea! I was having trouble navigating the site and didn't see an opportunity for a photo. Thanks!

I seem to remember Krogen calculations came up with 35 hp all that was needed and the first few Manatees came with 50 hp engines. I don’t know if the next size engines used at 90 hp was because of the engine manufacturing or the buyers desire for more hp. ( Sales Hype )
Then 100 hp and finally 110 hp engines.
A very reputable diesel mechanic told me if the turbo failed on my Volvo 100 hp engine he could bypass it and the engine would produce a natural 50 hp. He also liked the fact that the engine was sleeved and could be rebuilt.
Orapol what is the fuel burn rate on your 75 hp Yanmar engine ?

Last edited:
I seem to remember Krogen calculations came up with 35 hp all that was needed and the first few Manatees came with 50 hp engines. I don’t know if the next size engines used at 90 hp was because of the engine manufacturing or the buyers desire for more hp.

Hmm. Interesting! Thanks!

I seem to remember Krogen calculations came up with 35 hp all that was needed and the first few Manatees came with 50 hp engines. I don’t know if the next size engines used at 90 hp was because of the engine manufacturing or the buyers desire for more hp. ( Sales Hype )
Then 100 hp and finally 110 hp engines.
A very reputable diesel mechanic told me if the turbo failed on my Volvo 100 hp engine he could bypass it and the engine would produce a natural 50 hp. He also liked the fact that the engine was sleeved and could be rebuilt.
Orapol what is the fuel burn rate on your 75 hp Yanmar engine ?

We get 8 miles per gallon per hour.

That’s a great selling point, ours does 5 3/4 mpg. You can never tell when diesel will be $4.50 @ gallon again. Back then we cruised when others stayed tied up.

Last edited:
That’s a great selling point, ours does 5 3/4 mpg. You can never tell when diesel will be $4.50 @ gallon again. Back then we cruised when others stayed tied up.

Exactly! It is so nice not to have to worry about not being able to afford the most essential item!

My Willard 36 carries 6000 lbs of ballast and is likely significantly heavier than a Manatee (though my W36 also has quite a bit less windage). My Perkins 4.236 sports 80 hp and is perfectly sized to my boat. W36s came with a number of different horsepower options with most in the 120hp. By far, the best match is the Perkins 4.236 80 hp.

Bottom line, the new yanmar in this manatee is the engine size I'd recommend. I fully understand the American Way is bigger engines, but 75 hp is likely perfect.

Peter

I’m not sure why the Manatees ended up with Volvo 90-110 engines, but a 75 Yanmar is correctly sized, IMO. The cruising Manatee averages 24-26k lbs. with a few exceptions like Ted Pongracz (on his 31st loop) closer to 30k. I’ve got a 140 Yanmar repower and all it will do is dig a bigger ditch.

When Willard made their last handful of Willard 40s, every experienced opinion suggested an 80 hp engine. JD4045 natural. Willard went with a 4045T rated at 130-ish hp due to market perception that 80 hp is underpowered.

People want a displacement boat but do not fully understand the principles behind that underpin

Peter

Still for Sale!

Yes, she is still for sale. You can email me for pics at loparosue@aol.com.

Just to be clear. You cruise at 7 knots (8miles per hour) and you burn one gallon per hour at that speed? Thank you. I have looked at your boat many times on yachtworld for some time now. Lovely boat!

We get 8 miles per gallon per hour.

Man, I sure wish I got that type of efficiency. Granted my 4.236 Perkins is older, but she burns around 1.2 gph at 7 kts.

Peter

Just to be clear. You cruise at 7 knots (8miles per hour) and you burn one gallon per hour at that speed? Thank you. I have looked at your boat many times on yachtworld for some time now. Lovely boat!

Yes, that's right! Yes, Yachtworld's photos are the ones I would have emailed to you.

Someone is going to get a fantastic boat! I'm actually surprised she hasn't sold yet. Must be all the holidays.

Thank you, Bligh! Lots of questions, but COVID seem to be the biggest road block right now. Last year the Erie Canal was closed, which was huge for potential Loopers.

Hoping things will turn around soon and someone can enjoy traveling down the Coast or down the Mississippi in the Suzie Q!

Sue,
Does it have a generator?
What is the condition of the hull?
Greg and Rosie

Sue,
Does it have a generator?
What is the condition of the hull?
Greg and Rosie

We took the generator home as backup because my husband is on oxygen 24/7. We will purchase a brand new generator for the new owners. The hull is perfect, repainted last year.

Why thank you! We think so too! :thumb:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom