AC condensate drain routing??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mvweebles

Guru
Vessel Name
Weebles
Vessel Make
1970 Willard 36 Trawler
How do most people run condensate drain line for their AC? Do you install a separate small mushroom thru hull, or to a small sump pump? If the latter, how does this differ from running to the bilge, a specifically called out no-no?

Im pretty sure I know the answer, but since I've only installed these systems in dry climates where condensate is nearly a non-issue, I thought I'd ping the bigger brain if TF. Weebles will ultimately live in Florida, so plenty of condensate.

Thanks in advance

Peter

On “Obsession” an Eagle 40 I drain the pilot house and cabin A/C into the shower sump forward. The PO drained the salon unit into the bilge but I opted to install a sump box which drains into the galley sink discharge.

The pilot house unit was high enough that it could have been drained overboard but I did not want to add another through hull. Even in NC the A/C units produce a lot of condensate and I try to keep a dry bilge.

Steelydon

Shower sump.

Good thought. Unfortunately, my shower is very low in the boat. I run a Whale diaphragm pump direct. No sump. Mostly a good thing I suppose.

Is there a benefit to running a sump vs direct overboard, assuming there is adequate downward run for the drain?

These feel like really basic questions, but it also feels like either I'm over-thinking, or missing something. On this one, most likely the former.....

Peter

My forward AC and anchor locker both drain into the shower sump. Does your shower drain utilize a float switch? If so, I would tee the condensate line into the shower drain before the pump. If not, I would pump the condensate to an above water through hull fitting.

Ted

I'm in the same boat :facepalm: My two 16k AC's drain to the bilge, and I want a dry bilge. Both are too low for direct overboard. Looks like it will be a sump to install - two of them. Both showers use Gulper pumps and have no sumps - hate to add another item that needs service:angel:

Good thought. Unfortunately, my shower is very low in the boat. I run a Whale diaphragm pump direct. No sump. Mostly a good thing I suppose.

Is there a benefit to running a sump vs direct overboard, assuming there is adequate downward run for the drain?

These feel like really basic questions, but it also feels like either I'm over-thinking, or missing something. On this one, most likely the former.....

Peter

Every boat is a little different...can give credible suggestions (just what one has done on their boat) without complete info.

Probably overthinking....there are s many ways, just depending on YOUR situation.

Peter

If you can run directly overboard, more power to you, but many AC pans are below the waterline with their condensate ending up either in the bilge of a sump. Down here where condensate is measures in gallons per day, we have enough humidity to fight without running it into an open bilge where it also contributes to engine corrosion.

I have no shower sumps, so my forward A/C dumps to the bilge (although I'd like to change this). The aft and salon units are higher above the waterline, so they follow the factory provided arrangement of the 2 condensate lines teed together and then running to a thru hull for gravity drainage over the side.

On my AT34,
Chain locker into the forward bilge. Yes I have a bilge pump in that bilge.
Shower and sink drain onto a sump with a float switch.
Galley drains, directly overboard.
2 A/C condensate, directly overboard.

I suppose I could route the chain locker into the the shower/sink sump.

Another way is to install an eductor in the raw water outlet line from your A/C condensor. It sucks any condensate in with the raw water and discharges it overboard.

See: https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=2756613

David

That's what I've been looking at for my forward A/C, as I hate the condensate going into the bilge (even though it's routed to the main bilge that's not perfectly dry anyway).

If you use the shower sump be certain to add cleaner or something to kill growth if it stays wet especially if you are not using the boat for a while.
Most sumps just dont dry out completely. Of course running the show will flush it out as well.

Back
Top Bottom