ICOM Radio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BonesD

Vessel Name
Michelle
Vessel Make
1977 Schucker 436
I have an Icom IC-M710 radio and an ICOM AT-130 antenna tuner on my boat (came with used boat).
There doesn’t appear to be any antenna but both units power up and seems like they would work just fine
My question is do I need this on my boat? I am slowly trying to manage 40+ years of wiring and wonder do I need this at all.
Thanks

HF? Only if you go waaaay offshore.

I assume your Schucker is a motorsailor config. It's common to use the back stay as an antenna for SSB. There will also be a large grounding plate on underside of the hull.

SSB, like VHF use, is dwindling due to cell phone use. Really depends on your plans and your tolerance did a learning curve. SSB is a bit different than VHF as there is a fair amount of tweaking until you get the hang of it.

Good luck

Peter

Those ICON are great radios, they are stable enough to receive weather fax to display on your computer.

Inshore local TV will usually show enough weather picture to plan your day.

If not going offshore , watching the amazing weather in the Winter North Atlantic , snug aboard your boat is an adventure itself.

Big believer in having both SSB and satphone for a offshore boat or a long term near shore cruising boat. SSB is free once past cost of the radio, modem and Sailmail. Satphones don’t work well in severe weather or T storms. They complement each other. When one doesn’t work the other likely will. On stuff you don’t need hack proof reception or transmission (weather, social stuff, non critical emails etc.) using the SSB saves huge money as phone is cheap but data expensive with most satphone service plans. Very familiar with the 802 SSB with a pacnor 4 modem. It’s a piece of cake to operate. Learning curve is trivial. Don’t believe the hype that it is difficult. Huge jump in functionality going from any handheld satphone to a ships device like the KVH fleet one sailor. Worth every penny to do that if you’re a cruiser.
Cellphones are line of sight for all intents and purposes. Even near shore worthless. Depends on whether there’s a tower near you and your plan. It’s been frequent to be anchored in sight of land and have no cell service. Flipping through frequencies you can almost always get it done with SSB if you pick good times of day. Also it’s fun. Have traveled with a Go, globalstar, Spot and whatever handheld devices crew takes with them. End of day end up using the KVH and the 802 using the other stuff only for breadcrumbs.
End of rant.

The at 130 tuner is without any doubt connected to an element that is functioning as an antenna. Typically on trawler it's a 21 ft vertical . Could be any insulated wire length as well. Backstay on sail boat for instance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom