Stuck...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apagano

Veteran Member
Prop shaft , size length and where?

Marine Trader 1977 double cabin, 40 foot, stuck in Socastee North Carolina needing a prop shaft replacement. All I know is the shaft is 1 3/4 inches. Does any one know the length for my particular boat and a supplier? Thank you in advance

Find a boat yard with a good mechanic. He will direct you to a machine shop that can cut and finish your shaft- taper, keyway, etc. You will need a mechanic unless you are going to do the replacement yourself, so why not work with one to get your new shaft made?

In other words, you don't order a prop shaft, you get one machined to match.

David

Last edited:
Marine Trader 1977 double cabin, 40 foot, stuck in Socastee North Carolina needing a prop shaft replacement. All I know is the shaft is 1 3/4 inches. Does any one know the length for my particular boat and a supplier? Thank you in advance
Wish I had a better answer, but I believe prop shafts are custom fitted for engine configuration. As a reminder, these boats were built in locations with very low labor costs. Close tolerance manufacturing techniques were doubtful to be a priority. If it were my Willard 36 built in California in 1970, I wouldn't trust the measurement of a sistership even if it were the previous hull number and had the same engine/gear. Just not how boats were built back in the day

Your best bet is to put a measuring tape on it.

Peter

Yes, you will almost surely have to measure the old one. I doubt that you could take someone elses boat and use theirs. You could easily end up 1/2” short, costly mistake.

Pictures show clearance on both ends of my prop shaft - not a lot of play especially since coupling on engine side and line cutters on prop side are not show Might have 1-inch give or take.....maybe.

Bottom line, if I were building a boat, prop shaft would be the last piece of the drive train I'd install. First, I'd mount engine and gear, then install/align the struts, and last step would be to put a measuring tape on it to see what length shaft I needed and machine accordingly.

Measuring tape is your friend here. There is no safe alternative.

Peter Screenshot_20201124-181224.jpegScreenshot_20201124-081527.jpeg

Last edited:
Remember that you don’t want the shaft to be too long either. If, for example, you have a 2” diameter shaft there should be no more than 2” between the front of the prop and the back of the strut. No more than 1 shaft diameter is the most you want unsupported.

What is wrong with your present shaft? Many can be straightened. Pull it and take it to a shop, if they can't fix it at least you can get an accurate measurement.

pete

What is wrong with your present shaft? Many can be straightened. Pull it and take it to a shop, if they can't fix it at least you can get an accurate measurement.

pete
Right question Pete. Picture of my shaft being trued a couple months ago.

Peter Screenshot_20201124-190931.jpeg

Rent a car. Drive up to Marine Machining in Myrtle Beach. They sell props and shafts and have onsite machining.

https://www.marinemachining.com/

Have SeaTow tow your boat to Myrtle Beach, haul out facilities are available.

Apagano, did you try the split coupling?

pete

From his other thread.....

"Help please , advise needed quickly, i am presently cruising down ICW and am in South Carolina 30 miles north of Georgetown and my starboard prop shaft disengaged from transmission. Local mechanic informs me I need a new shaft and all hardware that goes with it. meanwhile He is trying to make a temp connection so I can steer and put my trawler in a better berth. The shaft end is worn down a couple of thousands of an inch and is slightly pitted. I am in need of advise regarding a full replacement, would I have any other options? Feedback would be appreciated. BTW my boat is a 40 Marine Trader with 2 lehman 120 engines. Thank You
Alfonse"

Apagano- I got your private message stating that the mechanic did not want to use a split coupling. But did not go into detail as to why. Go into more detail. It should be a decent fix to get you down the road.

I am moving to split couplings, put one on last winter and going to put the second one on this winter. They are much easier to get on and off. I don’t see any downside.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom