Update on Russian Trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TheAtomicDog

Vessel Name
Salty Seagull
Vessel Make
SSP Type 211
Hi All,

Finally moved the boat down from up near Finland to Saint Petersburg. The trip took 3 days and crossed about 300km. Days are short, so we didn't get far each day. Here are some pics for your enjoyment...

Attachments

• GGBT0844.jpg
    GGBT0844.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 81
  • HQIH9631.jpg
    HQIH9631.jpg
    145.3 KB · Views: 83
  • ECYJ6249.jpg
    ECYJ6249.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_5373.jpg
    IMG_5373.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 76
  • XCLS0861.jpg
    XCLS0861.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 77
  • DKHB1523.jpg
    DKHB1523.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 76
A few more pics

Attachments

• IMG_5382.jpg
    IMG_5382.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_E5293.jpg
    IMG_E5293.jpg
    161.8 KB · Views: 61
  • NBHL0948.jpg
    NBHL0948.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 62
  • ELKD5870.jpg
    ELKD5870.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 71
Nicely done Dog. Ya gotta love those long trips where you get to spend a few days on board. For those of us who don't often work in km's, that equates to about 186 miles. And yes, I had to google it.

Dog, thank you for taking us along with you via the photos and thanks also for the photos of your boat.

WOW Calm seas. looks great! Good luck on your voyage

Almost forgot to post a pic of the boat. Lot's of work to do, but good to know she can run for three days with no issues, all systems up.

Attachments

• IMG_5397.jpg
    IMG_5397.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 90
Looking good.
Please keep us undated.
Any update on speed and fuel usage?
How many in the crew?
Interior pictures?
Max speed?
Have the Russian discovered one of their tugs is missing?

Last edited:
Looking good.
Please keep us undated.
Any update on speed and fuel usage?
How many in the crew?
Interior pictures?
Max speed?
Have the Russian discovered one of their tugs is missing?

Fuel usage I answered
There were three of us on the trip down; the former owner, his engineer friend and me. They didn't speak much English and my Russian is basic, so it was a lot of pantomime.
Interior pics will come when I get it on the hard
Max speed on this trip that I saw was 11.5 knots with a following sea
Actually, I have found out that this boat and it's former owner are quite well known around this area. He is a diver and he and his crew used this boat to dive some ridiculously high number of wrecks. I believe he has plotted over 3000, not sure how many he has actually dived on. Dove on? I can't even English any more. Anyway, there is a very interesting story here that I can go into if anyone is interested, but there seems to be a lot of interest in the fate of this boat locally.

What engine doe it have?

Diesel engine 4CН10,5/13 (Yuzhdieselmash, Ukraine) as far as I can tell. Original to the boat and an anemic 40hp. So far I haven't spent too much time in the engine room because there is an exhaust leak that makes it unpleasant (for me) to be in there. Didn't bother the Russians at all, lol.
I have one pic of the engine above, but it is sideways.

To me, repairing the exhaust leak would be #1, that is assuming you want to do #2 on the list.

Because it is an ex-dive boat, it must have a pretty good generator. Those compressor take a bunch of amps.
The picture of the stove..... solid fuel? Doubles as the ship's cook stove?
You, my friend, have a lot of guts to take on a project of this size.

Last edited:
To me, repairing the exhaust leak would be #1

Yup. Will definitely start in the engine room. It's really surprising given how generally well maintained it is. But it is definitely a work boat and I guess for them it wasn't such a big deal. They just pinned the door open most of the time when running. For me, safety is a little bigger deal, lol. I'm definitely a "soft American".

Is that door big enough to get that motor out? Sounds like the perfect spot for a nice 4 or 6-71

Is that door big enough to get that motor out? Sounds like the perfect spot for a nice 4 or 6-71

I suspect that the pilot house would have to come off if I wanted to replace the engine as a unit. For now I would like to get the current one reconditioned. I suspect it will improve performance enough for the short-midterm. Eventually, I would like to try a hybrid solution. I think technology will get there soon. From what I understand, there isn't much point putting more power on board.

Just keep what you have and complain about not going 9knts.
That engine is a workhorse. Let me guess, no engine hour meter???
Remember, you're sipping fuel. Bigger engine drink more fuel.
dry stack?

Last edited:
Any guess on fuel, water and black water tank size.
You have sight glasses for each tank too?
Generator, capacity?

Just keep what you have and complain about not going 9knts.
That engine is a workhorse. Let me guess, no engine hour meter???
Remember, you're sipping fuel. Bigger engine drink more fuel.

I wish it had an engine hour meter. I imagine if it had it would have rolled over at least once. Most of the old SSP class trawlers look pretty rough. They were used hard from '74 and some are still out there trawling!

Attachments

• 69383.jpg
    69383.jpg
    118.8 KB · Views: 41
Any guess on fuel, water and black water tank size.
You have sight glasses for each tank too?
Generator, capacity?

Should carry 1.5T fuel, but I haven't verified yet. No sight glass, but an interesting float gauge. I will take pics soon. For water and black water, will find out soon. Has a honda generator, but for our trip we just used the engine and batteries. Still lots to sort out. I've been primarily looking for a place to haul her out so I can start a proper assessment. Russian marinas are...interesting. Still taking inventory. I recognize this is the wrong way round in many ways :)

Head and galley, in the back part of the pilot house. So much work to do

Attachments

• 91A2459B-EDD3-4AAF-A1F8-6EB92BD156D4.jpg
    91A2459B-EDD3-4AAF-A1F8-6EB92BD156D4.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 28
  • F51ED08F-8668-4096-8C28-9791C51C838A.jpg
    F51ED08F-8668-4096-8C28-9791C51C838A.jpg
    149.6 KB · Views: 27
Greetings,
Mr. TAD. "So much work to do." Indeed but in a strange, warped sort of way, I'm a bit jealous....

OldDan, you always go back and edit your posts with more questions! Lol. Dry exhaust, yes.

It will take a ton of work to get it they way I want for an extended cruise. It was a great deal and I really wanted an old Soviet trawler. Something I couldn't get anywhere else. This one has been a real work boat, but the previous owner really loved her and maintained her well (by Russian sensibilities, see exhaust leak). Right now she is seaworthy and reliable. I want to make her safe by western standards and comfortable by my standards. She will never be the opulent, mirror-finished wood toting, twin cat blazing, unsinkable powerhouses that most of you have on this forum, but I am fine with that. Its a fun project and I look forward to all the discoveries, frustrations and euphoria that new projects always bring. I am really glad to live in a time with resources like this forum that will help to make it possible.

Okay, once you find and correct the exhaust leak, you can add, as necessary, atmospheric supply to the ER. That way, you can keep the deck door closed.
Throttle and shifter are controlled from the pilot house I hope.

Is that a chemical toilet or does it go into a black water tank?

I understand you never will and never want to make the boat shine like a new penny.... it is a work boat but, you want to be comfortable too. You can dress it up inside with some teak cabinetry?
Maybe flowers on the curtains ? LOL NOT!!
The goal is to make the boat presentable to your guests and comfortable for you.

How many berths do you have now?
You may consider reducing the berths, enlarging the head and making it a dry head ie separate shower compartment and a 2nd reasonable comfortable stateroom.

In the ER, what is that white tube hanging down into the ER space? I would suggest that be relocated or secured properly.

WE are all looking forward to more interior pictures.
LOL Nice cook stove. Get your sack of money and we will spend it for you. Please, when you have time, draw up a current floor plan with approximate dimensions.

The effort, IMO, should be to change the interior so when folks enter the boat, they will be surprised and excited.

Ah for the rest of us, 1.5tons of diesel equals approximately 460US gallons, I think. That will get you along way with your engine.

Last edited:
Sincere congrats on your unique vessel. A lot of us here are meat & potatoes kind of owners who have a great appreciation for unrefined work boats. It’s just that somewhere along the way, some of us became distracted by a ladle or two of gravy, and then came the sweets and....well, you know how it is.

Still, there are a fair amount of puritans out there who value a vessel for its economy, simplicity, and maximum reliability from fewer things to break. Instead of an unnecessarily varnished woodwork, a clean natural finish sporting functional wear over a finely rubbed gloss.

Your boat has all that anyone who really appreciates boats can appreciate. I can’t wait to see how she comes along. Meanwhile, nobody will pass judgement on you for throwing in a coffee maker.

Last edited:
Hey guys,

Looks like she may have to winter in the ice. Should know definitively this weekend. Ah well.

Dan -
Yes, throttle and shifter in the pilothouse
Seems a chemical toilet. Want to replace with something more electric/modern
Currently 8 berths in the hull and an additional 2 in the pilothouse, divided in two cabins divided by a steel bulkhead. Plan to completely redesign interior and pilothouse. Was thinking to add a head in the hull with shower and put a washing machine in the pilothouse head. Will see what fits where, but would prefer not to have to run around outside to use the head
White thing in the ER is 24v power. Would like to rewire everything to a more modern panel and add as much solar as I can cram aboard.
I will get more pics this weekend and start all the measuring. I am also going to 3d scan her to allow more accurate cad/3d work.
I really appreciate all the input and interest. I am super excited to really start, even though it is already starting to snow and freeze :(
Thanks!

THD, Just so you do not think I have forgotten you......
for now, I have run out of questions.
Oh did I mention at 10am today, it is sunny and bright and 82F? (CHUCKLE)

No questions, interesting read...following to to see up coming improvements.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom