Window shades to reduce heat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Easternshore

Vessel Name
Pearl
Vessel Make
Beneteau Flyer 12
We’re getting acclimated to Florida’s hot sun but the cockpit on our MS Pilot 34 is like an oven in the FL sun. I read the TF pros & cons on window tinting, ok for the day but not so good at night. Has anyone tried the EZ Snap boat shades? They appear to be a mesh screen applied on the outside of the windows. https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/boat-shades/ and one can see through the shades. We’re looking for ideas to reduce the heat buildup in the cockpit while keeping the boat’s lines attractive. Our Pilot has the soft top, we’re also looking for options for shading the eisenglass sides.

I had these made for Sonas. Full back and two side panels. Slide on top and elastic holders on bottom. Work really well. Minimum light in, you can see through it well enough.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1606075736283.jpg
    FB_IMG_1606075736283.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 26
While 3M VHB tape is really good, I have had it let go in applications that it should have held. I used 1/2” wide VHB to attach some vinyl trim as a drip edge on my rub rail. This wasn’t a very high stress application. I cleaned off the tape, which was a chore, and put new tape on but added screws every 6” and it is working well now. I am not sure that I would trust it to hold with such small areas of contact and potentially a lot of pull with wind. Also I am a bit concerned that they don’t show actual installation photos or videos on their website but rather animated videos. Sometimes an easy install isn’t the best way to go but rather the tried method of screwing the snaps on which we know works.

While 3M VHB tape is really good, I have had it let go in applications that it should have held. I used 1/2” wide VHB to attach some vinyl trim as a drip edge on my rub rail. This wasn’t a very high stress application. I cleaned off the tape, which was a chore, and put new tape on but added screws every 6” and it is working well now. I am not sure that I would trust it to hold with such small areas of contact and potentially a lot of pull with wind. Also I am a bit concerned that they don’t show actual installation photos or videos on their website but rather animated videos. Sometimes an easy install isn’t the best way to go but rather the tried method of screwing the snaps on which we know works.

Thank you, I see EZ-Snap also offers screw-in or screw on snaps which may avoid the issue with the 3M tape. I agree, the videos always seem to make it look so easy!

I had these made for Sonas. Full back and two side panels. Slide on top and elastic holders on bottom. Work really well. Minimum light in, you can see through it well enough.

Thank you, great photo, it helps put it in the proper prospective.

Last edited:
We have exterior window covers and have made them for several of our previous boats. They are really easy to make. I use Pfifertex and Sunbrella facing to bind the edges. I don’t like the look of unbound edges which is what I think the system on the website uses. I think it looks unfinished. But the Pfifertex and Sunbrella pacing is very easy to sew. Any machine can sew it since the Pfifertex is almost like nothing to sew. The facing is 2” wide so when you fold it over the edge of the Pfifertex it gives you a 1” binding that you can put the snaps in. That way the snaps don’t pull out like they might in just the Pfifertex. Look at Sailrite.com for the materials. Snaps are easy to install also. Good luck.

Of course in a good year we get 2 weeks of Florida like heat. Lol

I think we own some Phifertex stock or we should. :D

For the cockpit we have their 70% shade factor material. In the pilot house we have their 90%. You can’t really see out with the 90% but it cuts the heat down significantly and at night you still have privacy that you don’t have with the 70%. If anyone is handy with a sewing machine, Phifertex is very easy to sew.

Attachments

• 0E38FF92-2830-4E72-8F79-474500112FCD.jpg
    0E38FF92-2830-4E72-8F79-474500112FCD.jpg
    165.6 KB · Views: 23
  • EE58C74F-FB45-46CD-A3AA-CD3864BAA6B5.jpg
    EE58C74F-FB45-46CD-A3AA-CD3864BAA6B5.jpg
    104.9 KB · Views: 21
  • 820BB7E6-C190-4147-9109-6211EDF61CA7.jpg
    820BB7E6-C190-4147-9109-6211EDF61CA7.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 21
  • 12CE5824-8753-4CA6-9484-486C215CAC38.jpg
    12CE5824-8753-4CA6-9484-486C215CAC38.jpg
    136 KB · Views: 24
Of course in a good year we get 2 weeks of Florida like heat. Lol

We certainly miss our covered slip in MD, could probably bake a cake in the cockpit with the FL sun.

I think we own some Phifertex stock or we should. :D

For the cockpit we have their 70% shade factor material. In the pilot house we have their 90%. You can’t really see out with the 90% but it cuts the heat down significantly and at night you still have privacy that you don’t have with the 70%. If anyone is handy with a sewing machine, Phifertex is very easy to sew.

Thanks for your info and photos, looks like Phifertex could be the answer.

We have exterior window covers and have made them for several of our previous boats. They are really easy to make. I use Pfifertex and Sunbrella facing to bind the edges. I don’t like the look of unbound edges which is what I think the system on the website uses. I think it looks unfinished. But the Pfifertex and Sunbrella pacing is very easy to sew. Any machine can sew it since the Pfifertex is almost like nothing to sew. The facing is 2” wide so when you fold it over the edge of the Pfifertex it gives you a 1” binding that you can put the snaps in. That way the snaps don’t pull out like they might in just the Pfifertex. Look at Sailrite.com for the materials. Snaps are easy to install also. Good luck.

Thank you, we’ve dealt with Sailrite back in out sailing days, may need a refresher course on using the sewing machine.

Thank you, we’ve dealt with Sailrite back in out sailing days, may need a refresher course on using the sewing machine.

Well the Pfifertex is a really easy project to get you sewing again. It really is easy to sew. And you will get a nice, neat finished result.

+1 for phifertex for general shade. For glass 3m crystalline film is fantastic. Zero tint, lots of uv and heat rejection. Used it on my old Land Rover which was a greenhouse on wheels.

Attachments

• E15BD0DB-AD17-4549-A865-27AC6F6D1BF7.jpeg
    E15BD0DB-AD17-4549-A865-27AC6F6D1BF7.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 20
We have snap on shades that were made by Tide Water Canvas. This was done by a previous owner. These work great while not underway. I would guess it drops the temp by 10-20 degrees on very subby days. We have a hardtop with glass so there is poor airflow so these shades make a huge difference. Ours are dark blue so match the hull.

I have the 70% Pfifertex in burgundy on tinted windows and really like it but when it gets wet underway, it clings to the glass and is hard to see through. I often leave them up all year long except for window cleaning or wet runs.

They're mounted on snaps and posts.

Here's what you could see through our 70% UV reduction Sunbrella fabric we used on snap-on exterior covers.

Attachments

• DSCN0014.jpg
    DSCN0014.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 18
We did exactly the same this past spring. Definitely made the aft deck cooler. We can see through it from the inside well enough but from the outside, complete privacy. Cuts down on wind substantially also.

I sewed Phifertex screens for my 400 last winter. I folded the edges over twice to make the perimeter 3 layers thick. I didn't feel I need any additional reinforcement for the snaps, especially since that's the way the original screens were made and they lasted 15 years.

I think the Comodave way is also a great idea with an edge binding, probably looks sharp.

We have a full enclosure on our boat to the aft cockpit made from canvas and plastic. I sewed a complete replacement in phifertex. During the summer, I removed the canvas and glass and added the phifertex. I used the 70%. If I was to do it again, I would sew the phifertex to the same panel and simply roll the phifertex up or roll the plastic up so I didn’t have to store the panels when the other was up. I think on windows it makes a huge difference if they are on the outside and they keep the heat out. The side advantage was they also act as screens for bugs when up so that the window can be open. I did get more skipped stitches sewing it without the canvas edging so I would opt for that method over the folding method. I think the snaps and universal fasteners work better with the canvas edging and hold better. I use my sailrite fabricator to get the job done. Nothing like the right tool!

Tint the windows first. Take your IR Thermometer, read the temp before tinting and after tinting. You will be surprised. Remember, dont walk around nude at night. Folks can see in. LOL
I mounted my sunbrella screening (for the pilot house) on the inside so in the strong wind, it wont blow off and disappear. For some reason, I also opted to put the snap on the outside too.
The saloon windows have a double shade, one black out and gauze filter. There is at least one company who makes these and I cannot come up with one name. Sorry. (so much fun getting old)
I know there are lots of folks in here who will give me the name again.

Last edited:
We’re getting acclimated to Florida’s hot sun but the cockpit on our MS Pilot 34 is like an oven in the FL sun. I read the TF pros & cons on window tinting, ok for the day but not so good at night. Has anyone tried the EZ Snap boat shades? They appear to be a mesh screen applied on the outside of the windows. https://ezsnapdirect.com/products/boat-shades/ and one can see through the shades. We’re looking for ideas to reduce the heat buildup in the cockpit while keeping the boat’s lines attractive. Our Pilot has the soft top, we’re also looking for options for shading the eisenglass sides.
Just buy some PHITEX and easy to make yourself
https://www.anchorfabrics.com/Phifertex®-Standard-Solid-Vinyl-Mesh_c_3135.html did it for our windshield and is great for the sun during the day

If anyone is considering making your own take a look a mesh materials at rochfordsupply.com they frequently have have some very good pricing on close out/ seconds and I've used a fair amount of it and not been disappointed.
For window covers I use existing snaps
For cockpit I added the track for kidder welt and made panel(s) that zip off leaving the zip & short cover in place to ease install / removal daily when needed.
Bungee cord and a few hooks at bottom all thats necessary.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom