2021 Waggoner Guide and Discount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Spinner

Guru
The Waggoner Guide is the most comprehensive guide to cruising in Washington, British Columbia, and Alaska.

I just got this from the publisher:

2021 WG HIGHLIGHTS

• New Southeast Alaska Chapter – Destinations from Ketchikan northward to Haines, Skagway, and Glacier Bay National Park
  • Over a Hundred Maps and Dock Diagrams have been added or revised
  • 2021 Theme, “Meeting the Challenge,” highlights boating events and races, both power and sail
  • Reference Maps have numbers in Yellow where Fuel Docks are located for easy reference
  • The Compendium (front section) includes new material – How to Handle Emergencies; information about Insurance; and additional Weather Resources
  • More than 55 informative Sidebars include topics such as “Be Bear Aware-What to Do;” “Seasickness Prevention;” and fun to know “Nautical Slang – Common Expressions.”

The printed guide is only published in lay-flat spiral binding :)

For folks who prefer their books electronically, you can buy separate sections on Amazon. Separate purchased sections include the Compendium section.

The Promo Code is TY21, which is good for 15% off the purchase price of the 2021 Waggoner Cruising Guide or a purchase of the 2021 Ports & Passes [Tides and Currents from Olympia, WA to Glacier Bay, AK]. This code can be used by anyone; you don’t need to be a member of a group or club. This offer is good until January 15th for those in the U.S. and is offered only through the Waggoner Book Store. The promo does not include shipping costs. This promo does not apply to orders already placed with the Waggoner Book Store.

Use this link to the Waggoner Store: https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/2021.html (this link is needed in order to use the promo code).

Last edited:
The biggest point is they cover all of SE Alaska. The old versions stopped at K-Town

Yep, I am pretty excited about the expanded coverage! I got to see the new material, now if I could just cross the border again!

From Olympia to Skagway is a lot of water and realestate to cover in one book.
I much prefer the Hemmingway books and since rocks and most else of navigational importance dosn’t change and they concentrate on what’s important ... IMO.

From Olympia to Skagway is a lot of water and realestate to cover in one book.
I much prefer the Hemmingway books and since rocks and most else of navigational importance dosn’t change and they concentrate on what’s important ... IMO.

Willy; You really need both guides. The Hemmingway guides are excellent and I have several. But they are now a few years old so you also need the Waggoner Guide to get the latest information on the marinas. The Waggoner is up-dated every year. There are several marinas along the way that are no longer open. Also, marinas will add new services and discontinue others as the years go by.

I agree that the Waggoner Guide is a valuable and very helpful guide to have aboard but I do not like the new lay-flat spiral binding as they become wider and no longer fit in my book storage holders on the boat. Much prefer the standard book binding.

I agree with those stating the need for the Hemmingway guides in addition to the Waggoner.

The Waggoner is good, but they tend to favor marinas that advertise with them and don't list all anchorages. Nothing wrong with that, just be aware the Hemmingway guide may list a moorage that is not in the Waggoner.

T
The Promo Code is TY21, which is good for 15% off the purchase price of the 2021 Waggoner Cruising Guide or a purchase of the 2021 Ports & Passes [Tides and Currents from Olympia, WA to Glacier Bay, AK]. This code can be used by anyone; you don’t need to be a member of a group or club. This offer is good until January 15th for those in the U.S. and is offered only through the Waggoner Book Store. The promo does not include shipping costs. This promo does not apply to orders already placed with the Waggoner Book Store.

Use this link to the Waggoner Store: https://www.waggonerguidebooks.com/2021.html (this link is needed in order to use the promo code).

The promo code doesn't work for me. I get an error stating "Coupon not found". Has anyone used it successfully?

I am of two minds. I really support the Waggoner guide book and always recommend it to newbies.

But I use my 2018 Waggoner as my place to record recommendations from mags, books, on line and locals. So if someone is to say the "Octopus Islands" is a great place to visit and anchor, I look it up in Waggoner, circle it, then go to the index and circle it there as well. If there is pertinent information not in the Waggoner write up, I add it in on the side. Long story short, my Waggoner thus becomes more valuable as a information storage vessel from outside sources. So the idea of moving to a new Waggoner isn't appealing as I have tens of hours of recording and research in my 2018 edition, and it doesn't open up like the new ones do, laying nicely flat.

But even as I write this, my buddy just bought a 1990 Nordic Tug 32 so maybe I'll get him one as gift to celebrate his new purchase.

Willy; You really need both guides. The Hemmingway guides are excellent and I have several. But they are now a few years old so you also need the Waggoner Guide to get the latest information on the marinas. The Waggoner is up-dated every year. There are several marinas along the way that are no longer open. Also, marinas will add new services and discontinue others as the years go by.

Russel,
Basically I don’t go to marinas when out. And when I do I get a slip ... that’s all.
Mostly we get a slip during the day to go to the food store and sometimes to look for kerosene. But not that often.

In Alaska we went to town floats. You may consider them marinas. And we enjoy walking up town in many many places.

Waggoner Guide is a very marina oriented publication.
But if I get a chance to check it out I will.

There are references above to the Hemmingway cruising guides. The late Don Douglass's widow is Reanne Hemmingway and the guides are now referred to in her name? Makes sense but new to me.

Back
Top Bottom