What is the Californian 34 Actual LOA? My slip has a hard limit of 35ft

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ya that looks like what I will wind up with. Once in the slip I can probably leave the anchor on.

Hopefully I can keep the swim step and modify the bow enough to keep me under 35ft.

That is the way I would go if possible.

Don’t know if I would hinge the bow pulpit. I think that I wouldn’t trust it to hold in a heavy blow. I think it might be better to just go without one.
Exactly.

A good friend bought a Uniflite 42 many years ago in Newport Beach CA. The previous owner had the bow pulpit hinged to reduce length.

On the trip north to SF, he was along the Central California coast at night in heavy chop right on the bow. The pulpit platform broke and the anchor was partially freed. By the time they figured it out and got rigged to go out to the bow, the anchor had been pounding wildly for several minutes.

Uniflite hulls are pretty tough. It was amazing how beat up the bow fiberglass was. I suspect a lessor boat would have been holed. I forget exactly, but I think he ended up with a $25k insurance claim on that, and it was 25 years ago.

The bow pulpit was replaced with a 1 piece platform similar to what was original equipment.

Peter

I agree that I'd be very uncomfortable with a hinged pulpit. There's going to be a tremendous amount of force on the underside of it in any kind of sea.

But just an anchor roller has much less surface area. I've buried my bow many times and my hinged roller platform has held. Note that none of the platform extends beyond the bow rub rail. Just the roller.

I've been on boats (not mine) where the anchor broke free underway. It's not fun and it can certainly hole the boat. There's guaranteed to be damage, and just going forward in heavy seas to re-secure it is dangerous.

I taped my 34 LRC many years ago and IIRC, it measured 36' 10" from pulpit to swimstep. However, many similar 34 LRCs have different pulpits and deeper swimsteps so it may not be very relevant to your vessel. Some 34 LRCs (not mine) have bow rails that conform to the pulpit. This would require modifying the rails in addition to shortening the pulpit.

Food for thought only. Let us know your length when you tape it.

34 caliornian lrc

i'm 37' total
parked a 40' slip

our marina allows 3' overhang in a 35' slip - seemed a bit tight for some reason once tied up

Where is your dinghy going?

Chris, can you change slips to a 40' at your marina and get the boat you want? I've got a 40' covered slip that keeps my boat and dink dry and shaded for $430/mo in the CA Delta.

One needs to consider a berth's width to a boat's beam.

boat measurement

Chris, I'm assuming you're looking at a 35' slip in SB? The harbor department turned my GB 36 into a 42' boat. I just love their, shall we say, "creative" measurement methods. :ermm: I am allowed to be 2' longer than my 40' slip, so it all worked out. Does that not work for you?

Hi Gang,
I am in the market for the wonderful Californian 34 Sedan LRC.

My slip in Santa Barbara has a hard limit of 35ft and not an inch over.

My guess, I will have to drop the swim step and Stub the nose?

Has anyone ever dropped a plum line and got the very tip to tip length?

Any input much appreciated.

Chris

I just measured mine (sorry, I didn’t have a plumb bob, but it was as close as I could come with the naked eye).

With bow pulpit (actually the stainless rail because it extends beyond the front of the pulpit) and swim step, it is 38’6”.

The bow pulpit extends 24” from the tip of the bow and the railing extends another 16” beyond that.

My swim step is 21” off the stern but the stern cuts back in slightly so the rail is actually about 5” further back than the base of the swim step giving an effective addition of 16” to the boat length. I didn’t count the few extra inches for my weaver davits.

Without the pulpit and swim step, if my math is correct, looks like you’d be looking at 33’10”.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• IMG_5896.jpg
    IMG_5896.jpg
    98.6 KB · Views: 15
Chris, I'm assuming you're looking at a 35' slip in SB? The harbor department turned my GB 36 into a 42' boat. I just love their, shall we say, "creative" measurement methods. :ermm: I am allowed to be 2' longer than my 40' slip, so it all worked out. Does that not work for you?

I already have the slip, it is a side tie so different rules in all different slip.

The overs on most slip have variables due to other factors.. Location and how wide that key is.

Side tied I have a boat in front and behind.. So a 35ft slip is just that, no overage and I knew this going in.

Thanks!

Got it. I didn't know or anticipate that you're on an end-tie. This now makes sense to me. Good luck with it.

I already have the slip, it is a side tie so different rules in all different slip.

The overs on most slip have variables due to other factors.. Location and how wide that key is.

Side tied I have a boat in front and behind.. So a 35ft slip is just that, no overage and I knew this going in.

Thanks!

I get it now. I didn't know or anticipate you were on an end-tie, there being plenty of 35' slips in Santa Barbara. This now makes sense to me. Good luck with it. :thumb:

I just measured mine (sorry, I didn’t have a plumb bob, but it was as close as I could come with the naked eye).

With bow pulpit (actually the stainless rail because it extends beyond the front of the pulpit) and swim step, it is 38’6”.

The bow pulpit extends 24” from the tip of the bow and the railing extends another 16” beyond that.

My swim step is 21” off the stern but the stern cuts back in slightly so the rail is actually about 5” further back than the base of the swim step giving an effective addition of 16” to the boat length. I didn’t count the few extra inches for my weaver davits.

Without the pulpit and swim step, if my math is correct, looks like you’d be looking at 33’10”.

Hope this helps.

Yes it Does, Thank you !

I should have the boat in the yard late next week. Will keep you posted

Sorry...not an Instagramian. I'm a TF Neanderthal.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom