My dad's drafting tools

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HeadMistress

Guru
Commercial Member
My dad was a mechanical engineer. I don't know exactly how old this set of drafting tools is, but he was 95 when he died in 2010, so they may even date from his college days. I'd love to give them to anyone among you appreciates vintage tools like these who would like to have them, I'd love to give them to you.

--Peggie

Attachments

• IMG_2381.jpg
    IMG_2381.jpg
    186.3 KB · Views: 102
They look great and ai do love tools, but I really don’t have a use for them so give them to someone that may use them. Very nice of you to make this offer.

Very nice offer. There most be a proper home for them. Any markings on the case?

That’s a nice set. I used to have a set very similar when I took drafting in trade school. Very nice offer Peggie. I sure someone needs them .

Very nice offer. There most be a proper home for them. Any markings on the case?

Only the number 204 on the flap. The case is cardboard painted to look like leather. It's a bit worn on the edges, so these tools saw a lot of use.

I doubt that anyone would actually NEED them in this all electronic age, Marty. But maybe another draftsman or engineer might like to display them.

--Peggie

Last edited:
I took drafting in high school in 1962 and I own a similiar set, identical but with less of the items, even the same casing but again, smaller.

Peggie, I have my Grandfathers drafting tools, I believe from the '30's. The case, and the tools ares very similar to yours. I know how you feel, don't really want to get rid of them to just anyone, but don't want to keep "stuff" that you'll never use. Not sure what the solution is . . . . maybe just keep it all, and let your kids deal with it!:D
I hope someone takes you up on your offer, and cherishes them as they should be cherished.

Not sure what the solution is . . . maybe just keep it all, and let your kids deal with it! :D

That's what I'd do if I had any kids...but I have neither kids nor siblings, so it'll be up to my executor to dispose of all my worldly goods that I haven't found new homes for. I'm only 78, so I'm hoping to have 15-20 years to do that...I'm starting with the boxes of things from my parents' house I'd never opened. This set of drafting tools was in one of 'em.

--Peggie

Woah mama. A pretty single lady with a boat!!! Send picture of the boat WINK WINK
TEASE

Last edited:
I think I still have a triangular scale and a french curve kicking around in a drawer. LOL

I used the "used" set of Dietzgen tools I bought when a college freshman for 40 years in drafting rooms. They are still as good as new. The brand will be readily apparent, however yours seem like quality tools. They aren't worth much these days with CAD drafting and solid modeling.

Auction them off to start a Engineering scholar ship trust in your fathers name. Contact ASME for their recomendation

https://www.asme.org/

PS. I still have mine and actually use them once in a while - for navigation on paper charts mostly.

:thumb:

That is a wonderful offer. One or two of those tools are compatible with celestial nav plotting, but a complete set like that deserves to be under glass on display at a mechanical engineering school. I like Larry's ASME suggestion too. I cherish the fine Gramercy drafting/nav set I was issues in 1965 at USNA, and have occasional use for one or another piece.

I have wrestled with a similar issue as I contemplated what to do with a model I made of a ship I once commanded. Their is no descendent to pass it on to, and I have pretty much decided to donate it to the local Navy Diving and Salvage School since it was a towing and salvage vessel.

Attachments

• DSC05358.jpg
    DSC05358.jpg
    83.7 KB · Views: 61
Not sure what the solution is . . . maybe just keep it all, and let your kids deal with it! :D

That's what I'd do if I had any kids...but I have neither kids nor siblings, so it'll be up to my executor to dispose of all my worldly goods that I haven't found new homes for. I'm only 78, so I'm hoping to have 15-20 years to do that...I'm starting with the boxes of things from my parents' house I'd never opened. This set of drafting tools was in one of 'em.

--Peggie

At least that many years. You should be good for that because you keep involved and doing things. My mom turned 100 last May and she is doing well. The local marina owner heard about it and organized a boat parade for her. She had about 20 boats, which for a town of about 900 is pretty good. Keep hanging in there, we need your knowledge about sh*t and things...

I worked through university as an illustrator. My uncle got me started with tools he had from the 1950s. There are about 300 pen and ink illustrations in the US Patent Office that I drew 40 years ago.

I still have my tools and I think of my uncle Red often. Back in the day, drafting (and especially illustrating, even technical illustrations) was a very intimate vocation. The scratch of the pencil on velum, the sound of a mechanical pencil being 'pointed' in a clamp-on sharpener. I was an early adopter of CAD drawing, but I soon lost interest due to the change from manual to electronic drafting.

My best wishes to you Peggie. In am about 20 years behind you and, like yourself, do not have children and am struggling to find the next caretaker of some magnificent low value but meaningful heirlooms. I have one nephew but frankly, at 16, he is too young (or too distracted) to have a nostalgic interest.

Best success to you.

Peter

Still have my slide rule too - no batteries required!

If I was near you I would certainly like to have them and put these to good use for my woodworking. I love vintage tools and work (at least as much as possible) with old vintage tools. In the set the only one that I would think will not be used anymore is the left middle ink compass that was use with bottled ink.
Hope you will find a good home for them, vintage tools should be preserved, they are a memory of how we got there.
Two weeks ago I got a brace made in Sheffield, England in 1810 and I am so excited to put it back to work!

L

My dad was a mechanical engineer. I don't know exactly how old this set of drafting tools is, but he was 95 when he died in 2010, so they may even date from his college days. I'd love to give them to anyone among you appreciates vintage tools like these who would like to have them, I'd love to give them to you.

--Peggie

Peggie, you might consider contacting one of the boatbuilding schools that teach traditional lofting - The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, IYRS, The Landing School, and others - as you will find students interested in traditional drafting tools. WR/Pete

"I doubt that anyone would actually NEED them in this all electronic age,"

Looking at the modern boats , probably every aspiring NA needs a set , as the good looking boats seem to be from the distant past.

Computers are great for crunching numbers , but have no sense of style, grace or beauty.

Last edited:
I still have a couple sets of drafting tool and a couple of slide rules. The really neat part of the larger slide rule was, it could reach the center of my back to cure the itch. (smile)
That particular slide rule got me through the US Nuclear Power School at Mare Island. We had to individually, design a reactor core housing. I sweated blood, doing the math.

Peggie,
If I could help you I could help my self!
I still have my set from the early 80s. I have my grandfather's brace and bits, old wooden stick rules, etc.clogging up my basement. The worst is the plumb bob filled with mercury.
Nice of you to offer them. The free category on local sites like next door might work.

The model ship is beautiful R8ch. One of the maritime schools might take it.

Hawk

Still have my slide rule too - no batteries required!

I have the yellow engineer Pickett my dad gave me in high school. About inch and a half wide.

Hawk

I have no doubt the Navy Diving and Salvage School here will take it.

Peggie, you might consider contacting one of the boatbuilding schools that teach traditional lofting - The Northwest School of Wooden Boatbuilding, IYRS, The Landing School, and others - as you will find students interested in traditional drafting tools. WR/Pete

Great looking boat you have! And a good idea for the tools. Day-to-day drafting in industry is mostly CAD.

Rich, great looking ship's model. If the school does not want it, I will. WINK WINK SMILE

Here's a thought, Peggy. My father left behind a lot of drafting and metal working tools associated with the building of two aircraft in his backyard garage over a period of about 20 years. He had been an Aviation Machinist in the Navy and was a Pearl Harbor along with my Mom on Dec 7, 1941. After a 30-year career in the Navy, during which he rose to the rank of Commander from Seaman recruit, he kept up an interest in all things aviation and mechanical. The job of clearing out what amounted to a full sized t-hangar of its contents including aviation grade rivets by the bucket and lathes and welder, and God, the list was endless and quite valuable. In the end most of it went to the Pensacola Experimental Aviation Association of which he was a charter member. Those guys building airplanes in their backyards still use drafting tools a lot. They put all that stuff in the EAA hangar's workshop corner and hung a sign over it - "Dale Gano's Corner."

So a local EAA group could maybe help you out or somebody laboring away building his dreamboat in the backyard would appreciate the gear.

Peggie,
If I could help you I could help my self!
I still have my set from the early 80s. I have my grandfather's brace and bits, old wooden stick rules, etc.clogging up my basement. The worst is the plumb bob filled with mercury.
Nice of you to offer them. The free category on local sites like next door might work.

Hawk
If you want to free up space in your basement I am volunteer to get brace and bits and any old woodworking tool you may have :D

L

Dave, keeping mentally fit as well as physically fit is one of the reasons I continue to hang out on a few carefully chosen forums.

Lou, first class postage to Ontario isn't that much. If you really would use them I'd be happy to send them to you. If not, y'all have given me some wonderful suggestions...I'll follow up on them.

--Peggie

Beautiful model, Rich - if you ever have time to write up how you made it, I'd be first in line to read it. Pete

Beautiful model, Rich - if you ever have time to write up how you made it, I'd be first in line to read it. Pete

Irad will do that in a new thread "Make a model of your boat?"

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom