Dock line size, GB42?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
Curious as to what other GB 42' owners use for dock line. 5/8" or 3/4"? I've had 3/4" but they do make double occupancy on a cleat a little bit of a pain. Time to replace these and wondering if I should take it down a notch.

I would use 5/8 and have a couple 3/4 for certain situations ( I often had a scrap piece of 1 inch or larger tow line from assistance towboat for high loading or high chafe situations....also used as a tow bridle if I needed to get towed)

I would use 5/8 and have a couple 3/4 for certain situations ( I often had a scrap piece of 1 inch or larger tow line from assistance towboat for high loading or high chafe situations....also used as a tow bridle if I needed to get towed)

Thanks, the lines I have are in pretty good shape so I would keep them as spares, storms. Just wasn't sure if the 5/8" was a good bet for day-in/day-out use.

I use 5/8" for docklines and am happy with that size.

Ken

5/8 was used on my GB42 for mooring and on my one fiber anchor rode. Braided mooring on bow and stern on one side where prevalent winds tended to stretch the twisted lines a bit too much toward the lee side pilings and twisted for springs and others.

I used 5/8ths with a couple 3/4ths on hand, one of which was our primary warping line with a hige loop formed with a bowline at one end.

That latter part was because once we were approaching a dock and the dock hand couldn't figure out how to get the small original spliced loop on our dock line over a pile. Said it didn't fit.

Duh! As wind was blowing us toward a row or pulpits/anchors that would have pilloried our port side in several places... And of course we needed to back down on that line RIGHT NOW!

-Chris

Last edited:
Hal, I’ve always used 5/8 double braid. Of course now it’ll blow 75 knots tonight...!

I used 5/8ths with a couple 3/4ths on hand, one of which was our primary warping line with a hige loop formed with a bowline at one end.

That latter part was because once we were approaching a dock and the dock hand couldn't figure out how to get the small original spliced loop on our dock line over a pile. Said it didn't fit.

Duh! As wind was blowing us toward a row or pulpits/anchors that would have pilloried our port side in several places... And of course we needed to back down on that line RIGHT NOW!

-Chris

Yes, them there pilings is tricky. Seem to come in all different sizes. Can't have enough varied size splice loops!

Thank's guys, pretty much what I figured. Still getting over the "previous owner did the loop, Bahamas, etc., so he must know something I don't" syndrome.

Have you ever just pulled line through the spliced loop to form any sized loop you want?

Have you ever just pulled line through the spliced loop to form any sized loop you want?

HUH? THAT's how it works?? :) Of course, I was kidding. I have had people on our boat that thought the same thing though. Hey, they don't know.....

That's what I do. I like that you can pull it tight around the piling and usually keep it from sliding all the way down, even if there are no hooks/cleats/spikes etc on the piling.

Once you get all tied up you can adjust it, retie or whatever.

Last edited:
Sorry, I hate underestimating fellow TFers, except the ones who prove it.... :D

On my phone I tend to skim posts too fast and sometimes miss the pitch.

Sorry, I hate underestimating fellow TFers, except the ones who prove it.... :D

On my phone I tend to skim posts too fast and sometimes miss the pitch.

Actually, with all the madness going on, your post made my day!! Nice to smile.

This post needs pictures..... :rofl:

5/8" braided are my regular lines. They work very well. I do use Chafe-Pro on all lines where they pass through hawse holes. My marina (Legacy Harbour) in Ft. Myers requires extra lines during hurricane season & I add 3/4" braided lines.

Yes 5/8” should be fine.
On the subject of eye splice size, I never understood why the rope manufacturers put such small loops on dock lines. I always splice three foot eyes in my dock lines. They will drop over any piling I’ve ever encountered and you can still make a choke loop as described above.

This post needs pictures..... :rofl:

I had my wife take some pics while I was trying to make a loop last night. I was having trouble and it got real late so we gave up. I'm going to practice some today and try the pics again later. Maybe the spliced loop is supposed to be in my right hand, not my left, and the bitter end in my left? I think that was the problem.

Said it before and will say it again, them splicey loops is way tricky.

I dont use splices just bowlines. That way I am ready for any situation with a loop sized as needed and either end of the line works every time. Additionally I can easily untie the loop it the next guy on the pole does not dip his lines.

The size of the appropriate line is determined by the size of the cleat that you have. Multiply the length of the cleat by 1/16: 6” cleat = 3/8”. 8” cleat =.1/2”. 10” cleat = 5/8”. 12” cleat = 3/4”. This insures that you would not yank the cleat off the boat and that you have the ability to put two lines on the cleat.

I had my wife take some pics while I was trying to make a loop last night. I was having trouble and it got real late so we gave up. I'm going to practice some today and try the pics again later. Maybe the spliced loop is supposed to be in my right hand, not my left, and the bitter end in my left? I think that was the problem.

Said it before and will say it again, them splicey loops is way tricky.

You don’t need the bitter end. Just stick your hand through the spliced loop, grab the rope and pull it back through the loop. You now have a choke loop you can drop over the piling.

Curious as to what other GB 42' owners use for dock line. 5/8" or 3/4"? I've had 3/4" but they do make double occupancy on a cleat a little bit of a pain. Time to replace these and wondering if I should take it down a notch.

5/8 should be fine for average conditions, but would not trust them in a decent blow.

5/8 should be fine for average conditions, but would not trust them in a decent blow.

Whay do you consider a decent blow?

At around 10,000 lbs breaking strength, with rarely one line taking all the load, and most people doubling up lines where they would expect the worst pull....5/8 should b good up to hurricane strength with proper chafe gear.

As I posted in the dock line thread, once into hurricane conditions, the average tie up (unless in a real good hole) needs much more attention than most normal tie ups....and lines.

5/8 3 strand or 8 plait will generally be around 10 - 11k lbs breaking strength. 5/8 double braid is stronger, around 15k lbs breaking strength. That should be plenty for a GB42 even in heavy weather if it's tied up well.

Both sizes are useful

On our Permanent dock (which proved to be not permanent - Sally took the whole marina), I normally use 3/4" and leave them at the home dock for easy return.
When on the move we use 5/8" for easier handling and fastening to cleats, etc.

We have since sold our 42' GB and now have a 49' Krogen Express. Same size lines for the "new to us" Krogen although heavier than the GB.

You don’t need the bitter end. Just stick your hand through the spliced loop, grab the rope and pull it back through the loop. You now have a choke loop you can drop over the piling.

Oh sure Parks, the old "hand through the loop" trick. I went for it once and got my arm stuck just like the guy knew I would. :) I was joking about the whole bitter end through the loop thing. I should probably work on my jokes a little.

On my lines, I have a mix of 3/4" and 5/8". Will replace the 3/4" home dock lines with some additional 5/8" just for ease of tying up. When storms approach I double up lines and even triple up on a couple. I use as many 3/4"s as possible during these times.

Or maybe if you need a large loop in a line, just tie a bowline the size you need?

Or maybe if you need a large loop in a line, just tie a bowline the size you need?

Yep, that'll work too but I am looking at replacing my stay-at-home permanent docklines. Prefer chains and spliced thimbles since they never leave with us.

My 42 GB Europa had 3/4” dock lines when I bought her, and have continued that practice. I am in Ventura Harbor, and occasionally easterly Santa Anna winds at 40-50 knots come barreling down the valley and give it a real go, and I’ve always never been concerned because of my lines.

Maybe bigger than necessary, but I’m used to 3/4” and careful shopping makes replacement not a problem.

Sometimes the guy on the dock releasing your lines is a doofus and lets them go to early or can't get them off. I instruct the dock helper to just pull the line through and hand the end back to me where I will tie off on my boat. Then, I can let it go at the appropriate time and don't need a helper on the dock. Also, there's no chance someone will move your line when you're not around.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom