1952 William Garden Fellows and Stewart 58' Motor Yacht

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

trawlercap

Vessel Name
JoAhna K
Vessel Make
58' Bill Garden Trawler 1952
We go to survey this week. The boat found me, I will update as we acquire our new life.

Video https://youtu.be/rfcphJhimCw

See if the video works.

IMG_0141 3.jpg

IMG_9643.jpg

IMG_9598.jpg

Last edited:
A few more images, pardon my enthusiasm..:)

Screen Shot 2020-10-10 at 6.14.03 PM copy.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 6.55.19 AM.jpg

Screen Shot 2020-10-24 at 7.07.55 AM.jpg

IMG_9622.jpg

Wow, thanks for sharing. I'm sure once you own it, you can tell us history etc(?)

Yea I'd be glad to, I know a little, but I'm getting a big box of stuff on history from the owner..:)

Congratulations! Katherine Jane is a great boat. About 6 or 7 years ago, I spent 10 days on KJ cruising around the San Juan Islands. There were 11 of us on board, and there was plenty of room for everyone to settle in and spread out comfortably.

Aren't you going to tell the TF members about the sweet hot tub on the boat deck?

Hope to see you enjoying her on the water!

Jack, was this boat built in Seattle? Bill Garden was a Seattle designer, I believe. The walk-around video is really good....lots of bunks!

Big change from a Hobie Power Skiff! Looks to be in great shape. Love the engine room.

Congratulations! Katherine Jane is a great boat. About 6 or 7 years ago, I spent 10 days on KJ cruising around the San Juan Islands. There were 11 of us on board, and there was plenty of room for everyone to settle in and spread out comfortably.

Aren't you going to tell the TF members about the sweet hot tub on the boat deck?

Hope to see you enjoying her on the water!

I've heard similar reports, always good to know folks enjoyed her. The guy I'm buying it from chartered it a number of times.The Hot tub has been removed. But I have idea for another one...:)

Similar to this 2x2x6 water trough) with a heat exchanger off the diesel fired furnace instead of wood fired.

Screen Shot 2020-11-12 at 6.54.12 PM.jpg

Last edited:
Jack, was this boat built in Seattle? Bill Garden was a Seattle designer, I believe. The walk-around video is really good....lots of bunks!

Yes William Garden eventually moved up to the Canadian Islands. The boat was built in Los Angeles in 1952 for a Hollywood camera designer. It was designed for long distance travel, he named it Beagle and was headed to the Galapagos with his family. It still has a 3,000 mile range. It sleeps 9 in bunks, but many of those bunks are big enough for two....:)

Big change from a Hobie Power Skiff! Looks to be in great shape. Love the engine room.
It has a real boom with topping and hoist winches to bring up a skiff. Not sure if I can get the Hobie on top, but we will try! The Engine room is awesome, is in the middle of the boat, and divides the guests quarters from the master.

Screen Shot 2020-10-08 at 7.19.40 AM.jpg

Is KATHERINE JANE the former BEAGLE? She's a beaut!!

Is KATHERINE JANE the former BEAGLE? She's a beaut!!

YES! Do you of the boat from back in the 50's? It was originally built for a Hollywood camera guy who wanted to his take family to Galapagos. I have consider re-naming it back to Beagle

YES! Do you of the boat from back in the 50's? It was originally built for a Hollywood camera guy who wanted to his take family to Galapagos. I have consider re-naming it back to Beagle

The first pictures I ever saw of her were when she was BEAGLE - actually, this is the first time I see her current name.

I think going back to BEAGLE would be great!! Congratulations.

Beautiful boat. Those engines will outlive us all :thumb:.

Beautiful boat. I think that I would go back to Beagle.

Seatrial 4 hour move to Port Townsend went butter smooth. I’ neve see a boat make so little fuss through the water. No wake and minimal prop wash at 8 knots,

DF8F14F5-A31B-4F05-90B7-A63FDF2A586F.jpg

That double-ender stern makes for nice sea keeping.

So she's a woody right?

Good one! It would be interesting to know what the planks & frames are & what she's fastened with. Hopefully bronze screws or copper rivets. Amazingly clean boat in the video.

https://youtu.be/Cqkb_O8qS6E

Just uploaded a video

She’s ours now. Both hull and mechanical surveys came in good. Design with slide rule and brilliant mind. Is a full shape to carry big loads, but slips though the water like no boat I’ve ever seen. Like a whale or tuna��

Attachments

• 36981AFF-65D1-4654-847C-3367DA473699.jpg
    36981AFF-65D1-4654-847C-3367DA473699.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 46
  • 7F5A4242-238D-43CE-8615-66B5E2E8CE1F.jpg
    7F5A4242-238D-43CE-8615-66B5E2E8CE1F.jpg
    140.1 KB · Views: 41
That's interesting... Twin engines and a single rudder?

Good one! It would be interesting to know what the planks & frames are & what she's fastened with. Hopefully bronze screws or copper rivets. Amazingly clean boat in the video.

2” thick VG Douglass fir planked. White oak steam bent frames. Galvanized square cut iron nails fastened. 1 5/8” fir decking

That's interesting... Twin engines and a single rudder?

The rudder has been foiled, a leading edge added for balance, and a mechanical articulating tail. And it’s a real barn door size?
F1F47312-79C9-475D-9A24-23B150EF29C2.jpg

This ship, and your willing acquisition of her, are inspiring. Bravo to both!
If you ask me (and you didn't), with all due respect to the family that commissioned and cared for her originally, she is KATHERINE JANE. I see no BEAGLE in her beauty!
That stern and rudder......sheeez, be still my heart! I cannot escape the idea that naval architecture has really not advanced that much since this vessel was put to parchment!

I expect you will be inspired each time you board her for as long as you are together and that is what boats are about in my view.

Back
Top Bottom