Where Do You Get Your Oil Samples Analyzed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Juliet 15

Vessel Name
Knot Hours
Vessel Make
Hatteras 58 LRC
Who do you have analyze your oil samples? Do they analyze samples regardless of the motor make? I have DD 4-71s and Onan generators. Do places only do, say, Detroit motors, and others only analyze Cummins, etc?

Blackstone gets a lot of good recommendations.

I have been using Blackstone. They do all 3 brands of motors installed in the boat, and the transmission, and my car.

Juliet, I'm also in Bellingham. Stop by Tri County Diesel on Roeder Ave. For $25/engine, they will give you a sample bottle for your oil, send it off to a lab, and give you a written report telling you if you are in-spec. Ask for service manager Jim Rick with questions. All engine makes can be so analyzed.

Last edited:
I'm a fan of Blackstone. They send all needed bottles, mail packaging as part of their service. Sample report(s) is thorough as well. I've been using them for 7 years. If there is a question you have, they respond quickly.

Cory

Cat SOS and for 25+ yrs., for my boat and at work.

Blackstone for me.

ALS labs. I still have one sample kit I will use up and then I may transfer to Blackstone. Many seem to be happy with them. Maybe ill pull 2 samples and send one to Blackstone and one to ALS.

Sounds like Blackstone is the favorite.

I'll stop in a Tri-county also. I was there a while back but they don't do Detroit's, so I haven't thought about them for a while.

Appreciate the input as always.

I have used and been a fan of JG Lubrication Services.
Reports are similar to Blackstone and I have found them very willing to answer questions.
https://jglubricantservices.com/

Sounds like Blackstone is the favorite.

I'll stop in a Tri-county also. I was there a while back but they don't do Detroit's, so I haven't thought about them for a while.

Survey, Service, Oil Analysis. These are three different things, and can be mutually exclusive. Typically any diesel shop can survey an engine even if they're not certified to service it. Though technically I hire a engine surveyor that IS certified for the engine I'm having surveyed.

The diesel shop does not typically do the oil analysis. They send it out to a lab. At that point ANY shop can act as the middleman for oil analysis. The lab doesn't typically care what the make/model of the engine is.

Service, that you obviously want to have a shop certified for that make of engine.

So, no need to find a DD shop to send the oil out to a lab. IMHO

Blackstone here too. You can request sample bottles for free. Been using them for 6 years, one a year for engines, gunny and trannies. Recommend them highly.

The diesel shop does not typically do the oil analysis. They send it out to a lab. At that point ANY shop can act as the middleman for oil analysis. The lab doesn't typically care what the make/model of the engine is.

So, no need to find a DD shop to send the oil out to a lab. IMHO

The only downside I found using a shop as the middle man (at least in my case) was the shop has the account with the lab. I got the report but couldn't go into the reporting to combine / link future tests to get trend line graphs, etc.
When I went direct I was able to contact the lab and get the shops samples moved to my account and I had it all under my control.
I have since added a motorhome engine and starting to do coolant samples on boat & MH so nice to have everything under my account & control.

Blackstone... but cautiously.

Oil analysis isn't all that it's cracked up to be and I've seen some mistakes. It works best over time when you see trends and if you get a crazy reading, it could be just that.

I've had a few crazy readings over the years and won't do anything major right away. (Once I pulled and replaced three cylinders on an aircraft engine because of a false reading from Blackstone). So, I get other info, like temps, exhaust color, etc.

I've been using Blackstone for several years, but prior, used a smaller but more accurate guy in OK who retired.

I’ve been using Blackstone for 20 years and have been very happy.

Ken

Blackstone also. One thing to note is use the same lab . The format and baselines differ so getting previous test for comparison is why we test in the first place.

Blackstone... but cautiously.

Oil analysis isn't all that it's cracked up to be and I've seen some mistakes. It works best over time when you see trends and if you get a crazy reading, it could be just that.

I've had a few crazy readings over the years and won't do anything major right away. (Once I pulled and replaced three cylinders on an aircraft engine because of a false reading from Blackstone). So, I get other info, like temps, exhaust color, etc.

I've been using Blackstone for several years, but prior, used a smaller but more accurate guy in OK who retired.

Definitely should not be making rash decisions from a single sample. Good point. If you have a bad sample both Honeywell and Pratt & Whitney will usually just have you do an oil flush followed by 1 hour run check at which time you check the filter and chip detector. If good they usually just require a 50 hour resample. You'll really know its bad when you cut open your filter and find problems.

The best sampling is done when he filter and oil is sent in FYI.

Late to the party, but Blackstone. Like their analysis of what’s going on plus trending.

Oil sample testing/analysis

Michigan Cat in Shelby Township sells oil sample kits for $17 which includes siphon tube, collection bottle, postage, analysis, and emailed results. You will need to purchase an extractor that they have available. They do testing regardless of engine or genset manufacture. I have used them for the last three years...good source.

R&G Labs in Tampa

I've used R&G Labs in Tampa. They do a LOT of analysis, much of it for shipping and construction companies and have a ton of experience with many different engines. Most of their clients are having them do longitudinal studies, following each engine over time to see what changes. They send all the supplies, including a pump and tubing. I was able to call and speak directly to the lab director about my results before buying my current boat. Great people, excellent service.

We used a company named WearCheck. Dropped the sample off one day results emailed to me within two days.
We are in Hamilton, ON, and their office was in Burlington, ON, but their website show locations and has 800 numbers for both sides of the border.

Blackstone, fast, complete, detailed and simple at less than $30.

Blackstone absolutely for 14 years. If I need further information/clarification, I can actually call and speak with the technician. They maintain an extensive data base that they can used to reference readings from same bbrand engine with similar use and hours to identify the potential source for any sample anomolies.
Very, very satisfied with their services. For me they are the go to lab.

Satisfied customer

Very satisfied with Blackstone Labs, detailed oil analysis for any engine motor oil or transmission fluid. I have used them for several years.

Lubriport Lab

I use Lubriport Labs in Houma, LA. No special reason. My engine surveyor used them so I continued. They do a lot of oil field work. No problem with my Yanmars and Onans. Couple of weeks turnaround. Do my gensets when the mood strikes/500 hrs or so. My mains every time I change oil. Just another option.

Back
Top Bottom